Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Racing Centre

• 12-01-2011 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all

Question, Is there a need for a racing simulator centre with state of the art equipment or are you happy with consoles and pc's with online play

I would like some feedback on this please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pben

Some thing like this ?

http://www.puretechracing.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

the price of that is a joke. you could either buy a game for the same money or get an hours karting somewhere.

Thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for, as I was thinking about setting one up to give an alternative to go karting.

I need more feedback guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I think it could be an epic fail. Too expensive IMO and the market just isnt there to support it. Look at the amount of indoor kart tracks in Dublin for example, very small per capita. You have to keep in mind that even though the UK is only across the water, it is the epicenter of circuit motorsport/F1 its a very different culture and world than Ireland.

Another thing to conside: Even though "circuit" racing is closest to my heart, Rallying the by far the most popular across the nation.

Heres one idea: Make it rallying based and run something with the big names and the up and coming starts in rallying. Something like this might work in the off season and attract people too it. For sure it will need a lot to sell it other than the appeal of the sims themselves, chance to race celebs or get coaching on peformance driving.

Even then though, all bets are off. Have you been to that place in the UK? Theres a place called Silicon Raceway at the Mall Of America over here, it does well but mostly because of transient shoppers moreso than anything else.

Souper, I agree with you rally has a bigger following in Ireland this is just part of market research, true there are many karting tracks around for a quick buzz. But was thinking about doing somthing a bit different for the petrol heads which is not been catered for.

many thanks good post

• Advertisement

I think you might have misunderstood the point I was trying to make about the karting tracks. What im getting is is that there are very few kart tracks and I would imagine that the demand for a sim center would be of the order of magnitude smaller. Entirely off the top of my head though. I think it warrants some proper market research though.

I was also thinking about mobile unit which could be hired out for events & parties. A race car type simulator or a few arcade machines linked ?
    I have seen a few of them on the web maybe an option

pben

pben wrote: »
    I was also thinking about mobile unit which could be hired out for events & parties. A race car type simulator or a few arcade machines linked ?
    I have seen a few of them on the web maybe an option

pben

Sounds like a good idea. Bring it to the people, see what they think

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

You could try getting in touch with some event management companies and see if they would be inerested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do puretechracing really have a pile of full motion sims? or are they a bit more basic than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Hi there,

I have been up north (Belfast) doing some simracing at a place called Room2Race and it has been great fun and they seem to have loads of people playing/racing.

Something along the line of that maybe would work down here, I know they have more then one place up there and it seems to work well.

I have nothing todo with them at all and not trying to advertise or anything like that. But I would love to see the samething down here.

Maybe even try and go up there some people from down here for a nights driving. The place they have in Belfast is open all night to the early morning if I remember correct. We even went up there for a team event with work and it was a blast.

Just a thought =)

Just for info, this project won't be going ahead the market is not out there banks are not lending to life style start ups.

With online networks now you will need spend a lot of money for high tech kit to make it attractive

pben

Advertisement