Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum working time with one emplOyer on a WHV

Options
  • 12-01-2011 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Is it possible to work for an employer for more than 6 months if its broken up into separate blocks?

I've worked on a site for four months and after travelling a bit I'm thinking of going back again but I'm not sure if I'm allowed. I was under the impression 6 montsh was the max but I know a guy who worked on the same site for over a year but in three separate blocks of time. He neveer had any bother but he was on an ABN, whereas I'm just on a TFN.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

different blocks doesn't make a differance to what you are allowed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Under your first WHV, you can only work for any employer for 6 months though I believe that on a second year visa you can work for the same employer again with no problems.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Under your first WHV, you can only work for any employer for 6 months though I believe that on a second year visa you can work for the same employer again with no problems.

Yeah, you can work for another 6months with a previous employer once you are on your second visa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Is it a sponsorable Position??

if So would you commit to 4 years of it??

otherwise get your Second year, tho with 6 months gone you are cuttin it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Is it possible to work for an employer for more than 6 months if its broken up into separate blocks?

I've worked on a site for four months and after travelling a bit I'm thinking of going back again but I'm not sure if I'm allowed. I was under the impression 6 montsh was the max but I know a guy who worked on the same site for over a year but in three separate blocks of time. He neveer had any bother but he was on an ABN, whereas I'm just on a TFN.

Help!

A site? Most foremen dont know there is such a thing as immigration law, I wouldnt think they will care too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I'm not entirely worried about what the employer knows or doesn't know, I'm more concerned about the good folks in immigration but if I can work for him again in the second year then all is good.

New question... what are the costs involved in sponsorship? Do I have to pay or is it the employer or whats the story?

It depends, on both counts

cost- the min is about 600 i think. 350 visa 150 nomination and 100 medical or so

some companies go through an agent which totals 3k to 4k

some companies make you pay the lot, even if they insist on an agent.
    Some make you pay for just your own fee, visa and medical.
    some pick up the whole bill

Advertisement