Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheala Hartes murder, suspects caught

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

If you'd seen them on TV, the father and two sons/brothers.. Absolutely heartbreaking.

No air's & graces, or rehearsed for TV. Just a father and sons/brothers speaking from broken hearts.

R.I.P.

How would they have airs and graces, or be rehearsed for tv :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

How would they have airs and graces, or be rehearsed for tv :rolleyes

Is this really the sort of thread for rolleyes smartarsery ? I understood what was meant as did most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How would they have airs and graces, or be rehearsed for tv :rolleyes:

Oh noes, nots the rolling eyes of doom, I think anyone with an once of cop on know's exactly what I mean!.

Anyway, this isn't the thread or time for arguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Morlar wrote: »
    Is this really the sort of thread for rolleyes smartarsery ? I understood what was meant as did most people.
    Yeah it was a nice post ffs - hardly one to be nitpicked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Another righteous arsehole takes the life of an innocent. A life of torture is the only punishment for scum like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Sounds like he knew a little too much about this case...

Saddle up the horses boys - lets pay OisinT a little visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

prinz wrote: »
    OK, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that.

My point still stands though.

EDIT: Is this definitely the same case?

WindSock wrote: »
    This is weird. Never heard of this Mickey chap until the other day when I was reading he was against contraceptives or something like that.
    Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

Dudess - i cant believe you think they might not have done it. jesus christ who do you think did it so?? innocent until proven guilty yeah right - they are guilty simple as! although they will prob get away lightly by saying they were insane or it was an accident or some crap like that.

• Advertisement

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    Dudess - i cant believe you think they might not have done it. jesus christ who do you think did it so?? innocent until proven guilty yeah right - they are guilty simple as! although they will prob get away lightly by saying they were insane or it was an accident or some crap like that.

:rolleyes:
    I don't know so it must be...

Lucky you. While everyone else struggles to find a job in this harsh economic climate, you'll be able to stroll straight into Daily Mail HC and get hired on the spot.

You could probably do a few nixers in their psychic section as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Ok I withdraw my previous statement, apologies Dudess.

I would suggest you read up on the finer points of the law Scareymoon1, you can't just throw people in jail because you think they are guilty.

The grating thing is that should this man turn out to be guilty - and he very well may do - the clairvoyants on this thread will leap for joy and chide the non-clairvoyants with a gloating "I told you so;" the point we're trying to make having flown right over their heads.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    The grating thing is that should this man turn out to be guilty - and he very well may do - the clairvoyants on this thread will leap for joy and chide the non-clairvoyants with a gloating "I told you so;" the point we're trying to make having flown right over their heads.

So to clarify . . if they turn out to be right and you turn out to be wrong they will have missed your point ? How about you missing theirs ? If it sounds like a horse it's probably not a zebra . . . and all that.

In any event whoever did this will hopefully get a meaningful sentence, i doubt they have our tendency to dish out light partially suspended sentences for crimes of violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

well when all the evidence points to the 3 men i would be fairly sure its them. and i know you cant throw someone into jail without proving it.

• Advertisement

So to clarify . . if they turn out to be right and you turn out to be wrong they will have missed your point ? How about you missing theirs ? If it sounds like a horse it's probably not a zebra . . . and all that.
    There's nothing to be "wrong" about. My point is that posters here are not privy to the case details and hence can't pass absolute judgement at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

well its obvious satff members did it - who else would have access to the keycard.

Very easy to force your way into some key-card locked hotel rooms without damaging the lock. I did it myself recently when I locked myself out of a rh9otel room.

There's nothing to be "wrong" about. My point is that posters here are not privy to the case details and hence can't pass absolute judgement at this stage.

My point would be that we are allowed to discuss events in a manner that reflects the fact that we are not a court of law, so any judgements passed here are not exactly legally binding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Guill wrote: »
    Guilty until proven innocent?
    Thats the norm:mad:

It used to be that you had the benefit of the doubt but it seems everybody is guilty once charges have been brought against you.

God knows we have never sent an innocent person to prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

stovelid wrote: »
    Very easy to force your way into some key-card locked hotel rooms without damaging the lock. I did it myself recently when I locked myself out of a rh9otel room.

The lock system in that hotel kept track of what keycard opened the door and when, so there was a digital record of exact times and what cards were used.

The policeman in charge of the investigation said that to the media last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Honestly can't imagine what it must be like for his dad. His only daughter just married, goes on honeymoon and he never sees her again.

He must have went from over the moon to rock bottom in a split second. So so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's weird, I just heard that phrase being used as I read it. Must be a sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

well when all the evidence points to the 3 men i would be fairly sure its them. and i know you cant throw someone into jail without proving it.

All the evidence? Popped over to Mauritius and investigated it yourself, have you? Give it a rest. You know what you've heard on tv or on the radio, like the rest of us. This just isn't the time for flaming statements. What has happened is beyond sad. I can't even imagine how a husband, a family could ever come to terms with something like this. If those who have been charged are guilty, they will get what is coming to them. It doesn't change how heart-breaking the situation is, and I think this thread would be better for expressing sadness and sympathy as opposed to jumping to conclusions and causing petty arguments.

My point would be that we are allowed to discuss events in a manner that reflects the fact that we are not a court of law, so any judgements passed here are not exactly legally binding.
    I agree and I'd be the last person who'd attempt to stifle discussion.

There's a big difference between simply stating that the evidence seems to points towards their guilt and categorically stating that they're guilty and preemptively devising appropriate punishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Everybody is annoyed that Ireland has lost a bright young light. Take a step back people and stop getting annoyed with each other maybe?

Just wanted to say how deeply sad and sorry I am for the familys.
    I really dont know much about Mr Harte, just saw him on telly over the last few years. but when they showed the clips of him and his beautiful daughter over the years, the special bond they shared, it just broke my heart for them. I just sobbed. Then I had to turn it off. Such unimaginable grief, so soon after such joy. Unbearable.

May she rest in peace.
    May her family be left in peace to mourn her.

Novella wrote: »
    A It doesn't change how heart-breaking the situation is, and I think this thread would be better for expressing sadness and sympathy as opposed to jumping to conclusions and causing petty arguments.
    There was a bereavement forum approved quite a while back, but I don't think it ever materialised.

I'll be honest, even if I do feel sympathy for bereaved families, I'm not a fan of RIP threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

I heard on the news there that she was found in the bath.

God this story just gets worse and worse. The poor poor girl.

So devastating for her family and husband.

RIP Michaela

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I felt guilty the other evening because I asked the GF to take a lasagne out of the oven, she burned three or four fingers and was moaning about the pain all evening.

I can't begin to even imagine the horrible sadness, anger, guilt and mixed emotions that John must be feeling. It is just a horrendous thing to have to deal with.

Was watching Mickey Harte make the statement last night, and his son had that look on his face that he just wanted to cry so much but held it in for the few minutes.

It's bloody awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

humanji wrote: »
    Let's hope that they put them on trial first in case they're not actually guilty.

True. We have seem this already with the Jo Yeates Murder inquiry where the landlord was been blamed. After a few days the finger of blame was being pointed at him and the media were giving him a hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

WindSock wrote: »
    What happened the other thread, was it locked or deleted?
    It was locked and tbh this is looking to go that way too.
    I will go through posts and remove the worst of the jokes etc.
    Hopefully that'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

O
    biko wrote: »
    It was locked and tbh this is looking to go that way too.
    I will go through posts and remove the worst of the jokes etc.
    Hopefully that'll do it.

Can you give me a chance to read it first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Did anyone hear the reporter based in Mauritius being interviewed yesterday saying that yes, Mauritius does have a relatively high crime/murder rate, then one of the Mauritian ministers immediately afterwards saying no, no it's not a usual occurrence at all? The truth is probably somewhere in between, I haven't researched it.

But to me it is not entirely surprising that robberies take place in a five-star resort which is slap bang in the middle of what is not a country with five-star wealth.

It's not the first time honeymooners have been targeted when they were staying in a top-notch resort. Remember this awful, awful story?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/07/31/antigua-honeymoon-murder-tragic-groom-ben-mullany-fought-for-his-bride-115875-20677861/

My heart goes out to the Harte family and to her husband. Mickey looked like a broken man yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

There was a case there last summer, where two young boys were accused of sexually assaulting a young girl. (Must try to find the link.)

The usual suspects, apparently incapable of distinguishing real life from Eastenders, hopped aboard the familiar bandwagon and started detailing their laughable torture fantasies and clambering over each other in a bid to show who was the most outraged.

A day or two after the thread was posted, the girl admitted she was lying; she'd made the whole thing up.

I don't cast my judgement on these cases because

a) I don't have access to police files like many members here seem to, and
    b) I believe in the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Goldfish memories round these parts.

Jesus you're so sanctimonious. Posters here aren't having an "who can be the most outraged" competition they're just discussing it so get off your soap box. I always can't get over how boardsies think what they say has any effect on anyone. Maybe get out in the real world for a while if you think people expressing their outrage on boards.ie is going to negatively effect anyone in the real world. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The big evidence will surely be any DNA found under the fingernails o the victim and accused as a violent struggle took place. The dummy card alone will not be enough, but will help.
    Such an awful case. I wonder what happened that it came to a violent end and why the intruders didn't try to escape?
    A horrible case of 'fight or flight' in action it seems.
    God help the poor husband and families. Feel sick just thinking about this so god only knows the pure hell they're going through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Thinspired wrote: »
    It's not the first time honeymooners have been targeted when they were staying in a top-notch resort. Remember this awful, awful story?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/07/31/antigua-honeymoon-murder-tragic-groom-ben-mullany-fought-for-his-bride-115875-20677861/

That's another terrible story. Were the murderers ever caught? I can't find any info online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Very sad. Really horrible.

The theory is they were robbing the room and she came across them?

Either was its an awful was to lose your life, on what should be one of the best times of your life.

curlzy wrote: »
    Jesus you're so sanctimonious. Posters here aren't having an "who can be the most outraged" competition they're just discussing it so get off your soap box. I always can't get over how boardsies think what they say has any effect on anyone. Maybe get out in the real world for a while if you think people expressing their outrage on boards.ie is going to negatively effect anyone in the real world. :rolleyes:
    The old attempt at creating a dichotomy between the "real" people and sheltered sorts like myself holed up in our ivory towers.

The attitudes displayed here are not confined within these servers, they are very much carried over into real life - what would I know about that, though? I see it every day, and I can go into a newsagent and take my pick amongst the red-tops as hard proof of its existence.

My post wasn't directly aimed at a poster or even a group of posters. My problem is with people thinking they have the right of it in all instances when there's not enough evidence to back it up.

I think the suspects could very well be guilty. I say "think" rather than "know" because I'm not omniscient, hence I think some discretion would be appropriate, and it's not quite time to decide whether the suspects should be burned alive or hung, drawn and quartered.

Is that reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The old attempt at creating a dichotomy between the "real" people and sheltered sorts like myself holed up in our ivory towers.

The attitudes displayed here are not confined within these servers, they are very much carried over into real life - what would I know about that, though? I see it every day, and I can go into a newsagent and take my pick amongst the red-tops as hard proof of its existence.

My post wasn't directly aimed at a poster or even a group of posters. My problem is with people thinking they have the right of it in all instances when there's not enough evidence to back it up.

I think the suspects could very well be guilty. I say "think" rather than "know" because I'm not omniscient, hence I think some discretion would be appropriate, and it's not quite time to decide whether the suspects should be burned alive or hung, drawn and quartered.

Is that reasonable?

tm bw

(too many big words)

• Advertisement

It just annoys me sometimes that people always want to see a show of emotion on tv after things like this: people are always picked at: e.g. kate mcann didn't cry enough, other people cried just enough.

Why should they have to go on tv at all at a time like this?

Not picking at the poster, just annoys me sometimes, Michaela rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There was a bereavement forum approved quite a while back, but I don't think it ever materialised.

It's a sub forum of personal issues. Been around for a good while now

It's a sub forum of personal issues. Been around for a good while now
    Ok, the thread title confused me. The purpose of the suggested forum was to allow people to express their condolences to bereaved families rather than discuss issues regarding bereavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They are charged with murder, so if found guilty they are unlikely to get off lightly. Countries in that part of the world tend to deal with serious crimes like murder more harshly than here. But nobody has been proven guilty yet. (the current president of Mauritius was in favour of re-introducing the death penalty but I don't know if that happened or not, I don't think so).

Thinspired wrote: »

That was an awful story alright. It's hard to comprehend the mentality of people who can do things like that. I don't agree with the death penalty in general but if thos guys were put against a wall and shot it would be hard to argue that they didn't get what they deserved. You'd be ashamed to be a member of the same species.

Rest in Peace Michaela McAreavy-Harte.

It's hard to know how to make sense of things sometimes.

Life is strange.

Thoughts and wishes with Mickey and all the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Horrible story and a horrible way to have a life taken away.

Unfortunately, it takes things like this to put me back in my box and put things in perspective.

Hopefully, the right scumbag(s) are caught and are prosecuted to fullest extend. Would hate to imagine that the wrong person was convicted for this and that the real culprit(s) would be out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dietgirl

Mickey is a very religious man, he helped many families deal woth tradegy so he will be strong. He spoke at the novena in Galway a few years back. I just hope they got the right people are not just framing somebody

dietgirl wrote: »
    Mickey is a very religious man, he helped many families deal woth tradegy so he will be strong. He spoke at the novena in Galway a few years back. I just hope they got the right people are not just framing somebody
    I really don’t want to drag this thread off topic, and this is off topic, but do you really think that religious people alone can be strong when dealing with tragedy (if I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,654 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP - so sad I believe she was on her honeymoon

Sympathies to her family and friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

curlzy wrote: »

Is that reasonable?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So you're saying you think that boardsies are writing "the red-tops"? Is that what you mean when you say the opinions here are carried over to Real Life? You really think that English journalists are hanging around AH and getting their opinions from posters? Do you really think this is the place to put a stop to rabbling? On what planet do you think After Hours is the place to get rid of stupidity? Like the stupidity, racism, sexism and plain bad taste that's displayed on this forum daily is ok, but putting forth an opinion about a murder isn't ok if you don't have hard facts. Get over yourself. In answer to your question, no it's not reasonable, it's stupid drivil based on your own anecdotal evidence of what you see in the newsagents. So I stand by my opinion that you're sanctimonious.

And in spirit of this being AH I will add a :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

it's an awful story. On honeymoon just makes it so much worse...such a happy story one minute turning into an absolute nightmare.

Hope the girl wasn't put through too much before they killed her. Her family and friends must be devastated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement