Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheala Hartes murder, suspects caught

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Ah stop will ya, in fairness. Thats rubbish, there's compassion and then there's just being naive and stupid.

Who's being naive and stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Poor girl.I really hope the police have the right culprits here and they weren't beaten into a confession to protect the image of the island as it is being watched closely by the international community. The investigation and resulting charges seem to have been very quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

MrPoker wrote: »
    . The investigation and resulting charges seem to have been very quick.

I can't help but think this too.

However I would rather be tortured and/or killed by dodgy police than be known as the murderer of a young woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Its mentionned in the news that Michaela was the first tourist to be killed there. Its very strange that nothing has been stolen from the room and they choose only Michaela to killed amongst more famous and more rich tourist than her. Very very strange.

Nothing was stolen because although that was the initial intention, once they'd murdered her, their only thought was covering it up, which they attempted to do by putting her in the water and hoping it would look like she'd drowned/committed suicide. (stupid as well as evil !)

Had she not returned to the room, they would have stolen what they wanted and we wouldn't be here now. She'd be lamenting her honeymoon being ruined by theives and be none the wiser !
    Just because its the first time they were caught theiving doesn't mean it was the first time they did it. It was probably a regular scam.

Makes you thank your lucky stars if you or your loved owns are 'only' robbed on holiday. Devastated for her family !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Change OisinT's name to Columbo imo.

just....just one more thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I was completely stunned when I heard this. It's like something from a movie or an episode of murder she wrote. Devastating. Poor girl. What is so terrifying is the thoughts of that girl fighting for her life, the fear and terror she must have felt.

Problem here is: Intent? How will they prove it. Lets be honest, theft was the motive, she disturbed them and they then killed/murdered here. Hope they get done for murder, but will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Nothing was stolen because although that was the initial intention, once they'd murdered her, their only thought was covering it up, which they attempted to do by putting her in the water and hoping it would look like she'd drowned/committed suicide. (stupid as well as evil !)

Had she not returned to the room, they would have stolen what they wanted and we wouldn't be here now. She'd be lamenting her honeymoon being ruined by theives and be none the wiser !
    Just because its the first time they were caught theiving doesn't mean it was the first time they did it. It was probably a regular scam.

Makes you thank your lucky stars if you or your loved owns are 'only' robbed on holiday. Devastated for her family !
    According to the news these guys doesn't have any previous convictions and never had any problems before at work relating to behaviour or burglary with other people staying at that hotel. Again why Michaela? If they wanted to steal, they could have done it in another rooms. Or may be they were paid to kill her. Still very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Monea, both Mauritian natives, have both confessed to killing Harte in her bedroom.

Avinash strangled her.

http://i.imgur.com/AaSsk.jpg

Avinash murdered an innocent woman, destroyed the lives of her family, her friends, and her newly-wed husband.

This asshole took her life, laughed about it, and thought he could get away with it.

May Avinash be condemed to lifetime solitary confinement and never see the light of day again. :mad:

According to the news these guys doesn't have any previous convictions and never had any problems before at work relating to behaviour or burglary with other people staying at that hotel. Again why Michaela? If they wanted to steal, they could have done it in another rooms. Or may be they were paid to kill her. Still very strange.

What do you mean, why Michaela? Irish, abroad and on honeymoon....

Guess they reckoned that she and the husband would have valuables, and decided that was the room they would target.

Paid to kill her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Ah stop will ya, in fairness. Thats rubbish, there's compassion and then there's just being naive and stupid.

I'm no bleeding heart liberal. There's cases that have me seething in anger: one I can think of is that nursery assistant who molested all those children and didn't show a hint of remorse.

I do feel a bit of compassion here. They look upset and terrified. I could be wrong and they could be faking it, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at the minute.

On a side note, what evidence could they have after 24 hours to charge some-one? Do they just have a confession? How many killers usually confessafter 24 hours? Just with the story of police beatings , I'm keeping my mind open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

walshb wrote: »
    What do you mean, why Michaela? Irish, abroad and on honeymoon....

Guess they reckoned that she and the husband would have valuables, and decided that was the room they would target.

Paid to kill her?

With all the rich people that goes there, they could easily steal from them if they want to but do you not find it strange they choose only Michaela to kill. Anyway they had option to steal but everything was still there. She was the first tourist to be killed on that island. May be somebody who hates her or her father, plan her death.

I do feel a bit of compassion here. They look upset and terrified. I could be wrong and they could be faking it, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at the minute.

You reckon they were more upset and terrified than that poor woman? Just asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

How many killers usually confessafter 24 hours? Just with the story of police beatings , I'm keeping my mind open.

I would agree with keeping your mind open, but for what it's worth I remember reading once that in murder cases where there are multiple suspects, you will usually get a faster confession just by interviewing suspects separately and working on some variation of the "prisoners dilemma" That of course does not mean that anything one suspect says to dump the larger portion of blame on the other will neccasarily stack up but in this case it could point to a faster result without the need to resort to custodial brutality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I kind of feel for them. I don't know why but I do.

ahh yeah the poor lads, my heart bleeds for them too. they don't deserve all this attention for merely murdering a lovely innocent woman

libtards indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Guys guys guys... I think we're getting more than slightly off the point here.

That point, of course, being that I was right. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OisinT wrote: »
    Guys guys guys... I think we're getting more than slightly off the point here.

That point, of course, being that I was right. ;)

Just don't trouble me for a pencil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

why the f*ck is everything an argument around here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Why the f*ck not?!

Does it remind you too much of mommy and daddy? :eek:

;) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Gucky wrote: »
    OisinT was correct!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-northern-ireland-12169321

Lets hope they throw away the keys on these murdering bastards(if proven guilty)!

RIP Michaela!

they must be as thick as paint, seriously.. killing the woman like that for the sake of robbing her purse of something?

putting their job and lifes at stake... what idiots.

that is the saddest story i have heard for a long long time

bluewolf wrote: »
    Michaela not Micheala

idiot spelling poilice, can you restrain from correcting spellings on AH

thank you, there is a superior english forum somewhere i am sure

they must be as thick as paint, seriously.. killing the woman like that for the sake of robbing her purse of something?

putting their job and lifes at stake... what idiots.

that is the saddest story i have heard for a long long time
    I think there is something more to this story that we may not find out.

"Avinash and two other staff members had been "taking coke all day" and were browsing the hotel rooms for money and valuables. They entered Micheala's room and started searching her bags, but they didn't realise that Micheala was coming back unexpectedly to get some biscuits.

She entered the room and screamed once she realised what was happening, and Avinash freaked out and went for her throat. He murdered her to stop her from screaming, right beside hotel room door and bathroom.

Avinash left the hotel but the other two hung around until the ambulance and police arrived."

:eek:

not sure, they proably knew who was in the room

two white (well off people), and they had planned to rob the place..

which is well and good, but killing the woman like that in a matter of minutes takes some doing, a normal sane person wouldnt do that to an animal

"Avinash and two other staff members had been "taking coke all day" and were browsing the hotel rooms for money and valuables. They entered Micheala's room and started searching her bags, but they didn't realise that Micheala was coming back unexpectedly to get some biscuits.

She entered the room and screamed once she realised what was happening, and Avinash freaked out and went for her throat. He murdered her to stop her from screaming, right beside hotel room door and bathroom.

Avinash left the hotel but the other two hung around until the ambulance and police arrived."

:eek:

speaks volumes for the hotel staff.!

i think that place is going to take a huge 'hit' financially now in the future and good riddance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Interesting that the barrister (of the only one that had legal repersentation) allege his client was beaten in the police cell. The judge allowed him to be taken for medical examination.

This all seems very swift, and the suspects looked terrified.

A swift conviction I believe would benefit no one except the country's tourism industry...

not sure, they proably knew who was in the room

two white (well off people), and they had planned to rob the place..

which is well and good, but killing the woman like that in a matter of minutes takes some doing, a normal sane person wouldnt do that to an animal
    Why just that room then? Surely they would have been robbing other rooms? AFAIK the place is like €200/night so everyone would have been well off to some extent.

Not a single other complaint about burglary from the rooms reported yet.

efb wrote: »
    Interesting that the barrister (of the only one that had legal repersentation) allege his client was beaten in the police cell. The judge allowed him to be taken for medical examination.

This all seems very swift, and the suspects looked terrified.

A swift conviction I believe would benefit no one except the country's tourism industry...
    I agree. It's clear that confessions extracted through torture are highly dubious and unsafe.

I mean, either they did it, or they're being stitched up for it. I think that it's more likely they did it, but lets try to properly obtain evidence and send these guys down for a life sentence rather than have the case falter on poorly obtained evidence.

• Advertisement

Those guys are innocent. I would bet all my money on it. The stuff the cops are commg out with is unreal. These are just the fall guys.

Strange, as all the hotel staff are pointing fingers at Avinash. And, eh, he admited to the murder.

Must be a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Maybe. Although if anyone is going to find out what it is, I'd say it'll be you.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Maybe. Although if anyone is going to find out what it is, I'd say it'll be you.

I'm on the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Those guys are innocent. I would bet all my money on it. The stuff the cops are commg out with is unreal. These are just the fall guys.

Unfortunately, I agree with this. Corrupt police force under pressure from top brass to convict and sentence someone ASAP, thus minimising the hit to tourist industry.

Reporter on the six one news, seemed to come across as suspicious about how quick a confession was got too.

If these guys are guilty, they deserve everything they get, but at the moment thats still an 'if'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm on the case!

Grow up, ffs.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Grow up, ffs.
    :confused: wtf are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

:confused: wtf are you on about?

You are a self confessed smart fella.. you know what you're at.
    Its obvious that this topic is very sensitive to a lot of posters and causes them a fair degree of hurt! Yet, you continue to try and wind people up by glorifying yourself, and in your own way, deflecting attention away from the awful tragedy that has occured.

As for midlandsmissus, she practically accuses the husband of being the killer and doesnt even have the decency to apologise when proved wrong...utter scum.

Its obvious that this topic is very sensitive to a lot of posters and causes them a fair degree of hurt! Yet, you continue to try and wind people up by glorifying yourself, and in your own way, deflecting attention away from the awful tragedy that has occured.

As for midlandsmissus, she practically accuses the husband of being the killer and doesnt even have the decency to apologise when proved wrong...utter scum.
    Build a bridge... we had the condolences thread - we're discussing the murder in this thread (the one I was right about and was burned at the stake for even suggesting in the other thread).

I'm sorry you're so sensitive on the issue, but in this discussion I have just as much of a right to post on topic as anyone else.
    Nobody is trying to deflect attention from anything... we're discussing the suspects in case you couldn't be bothered to read this thread. I'd say that's a fair amount of attention on the subject wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

(the one I was right about and was burned at the stake for even suggesting in the other thread).

Who gives a **** that you were right bar the OP? Do you get that few plusses in the score column in life that you have to harp on like an incessant teenager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I keep going over and over in my mind, my wife and I returned to our honeymoon suite on the last day of our honeymoon in Cuba in 2009 to find one of the hotel staff (probably before I'm corrected!) Had gone through my wallet and helped themselves to the small number of pesos I had left, though the were kind enough to leave the coins :D.
    Think it totaled the grand sum of the equivalent of 30 euro or so.

I recall being livid, first of all at someone having the cheek to even open my wallet! Secondly to the misplace of trust, I had given the hotel upon booking it, and then the money itself. Incidentally that money was ironically set aside to tip the room service staff!
    (now that was service when the even tipped themselves lol)

Came home, whined to friends and family about being 'robbed' whilst in a five star hotel.

As I write this, in my lovely home, wife fondly nursing our 4 month old baby, I suddenly realise just how lucky a man I am, and how easily a life could change in the blink of the eye!

I've never been as thankful for all that I have these past two days.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Who gives a **** that you were right bar the OP? Do you get that few plusses in the score column in life that you have to harp on like an incessant teenager?
    The fact that of my entire post that's what you want to harp on about makes me think that it's most certainly you that gives a ****.

Anyway, the point is that I don't think that they have the wrong people... I just think that it's dangerous to go on confessions arising from police beatings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Can we keep to the topic?

Gucky wrote: »
    I keep going over and over in my mind, my wife and I returned to our honeymoon suite on the last day of our honeymoon in Cuba in 2009 to find one of the hotel staff (probably before I'm corrected!) Had gone through my wallet and helped themselves to the small number of pesos I had left, though the were kind enough to leave the coins :D.
    Think it totaled the grand sum of the equivalent of 30 euro or so.

I recall being livid, first of all at someone having the cheek to even open my wallet! Secondly to the misplace of trust, I had given the hotel upon booking it, and then the money itself. Incidentally that money was ironically set aside to tip the room service staff!
    (now that was service when the even tipped themselves lol)

Came home, whined to friends and family about being 'robbed' whilst in a five star hotel.

As I write this, in my lovely home, wife fondly nursing our 4 month old baby, I suddenly realise just how lucky a man I am, and how easily a life could change in the blink of the eye!

I've never been as thankful for all that I have these past two days.
    It's crazy I know. A few years ago someone (presumably housekeeping) stole some stuff from my girlfriend's bag in a fairly well known and semi-expensive hotel in Paris.

It was semi amusing at the time as they stole really cheap stuff (including pyjamas) but looking back, if I just went out to get drink or to the ATM it could have been a totally different situation.

*queue the flaming that we're deflecting attention*

her "decency" was shown in her statement on how she feels sorry for the murderers.

mind boggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There were claims of police brutality, and even without them, I would still be a bit bemused by how quick all of this has been... however, I don't see how either can make you so definite they're innocent.

aDeener wrote: »
    her "decency" was shown in her statement on how she feels sorry for the murderers.

mind boggling
    I feel sorry for murderers every day. To have such little value in human life is something that is so inhuman and often stems from such awful upbringings that I believe society should feel sorry for these people.

aDeener wrote: »
    ahh yeah the poor lads, my heart bleeds for them too. they don't deserve all this attention for merely murdering a lovely innocent woman

libtards indeed

Don't call me a libtard. I can feel awful at what happened to Michaela but I can feel compassion for them too.

"OMG murdering scum, should be shot, hope they burn in hell aghhhh".

What good does that do anyone. It's just sending more anger out into the world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK folks, if you're incapable of posting on the topic of Michaela Hartes murder and leaving this he said she said crap behind from here on out then do not post at all. PM me for clarification and lets get back on topic from here on out.

Don't call me a libtard. I can feel awful at what happened to Michaela but I can feel compassion for them too.

"OMG murdering scum, should be shot, hope they burn in hell aghhhh".

What good does that do anyone. It's just sending more anger out into the world.

awwh mann yeahh dude totally, so much hate and anger brah i hear ya.

why can't we all just whole hands forget about everything and get along?

I feel sorry for murderers every day. To have such little value in human life is something that is so inhuman and often stems from such awful upbringings that I believe society should feel sorry for these people.

course you do, you're in the legal profession aren't you?

Jesus I don't think "I'm on the case" was worth that response? It was his response to some-one saying "if anyone would find out it would be you" , meant in good heart I took it.

Are you actually calling me utter scum? Jesus that's actually really badly harsh.
    I never said he was the murderer. I never even referred to a person, I listed out a few points, that pointed in his direction, but I was careful not to mention his name.
    I did think it at the time. Now we all know he's innocent, it's easy to point fingers.

In fact you're wrong, I did feel bad about it, and realised today I shouldn't jump to conclusions and speculate.

Who do you want me to apologise to, you? Why don't you apologise to me for calling me utter scum? How horrible a thing is that to say?

Edit: DrBollocko I was writing this at the same time you posted your post. No more from me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement