Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheala Hartes murder, suspects caught

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

no idea who she was, nor do i care, horrible thing to happen to nyone, what i dont get is the need to discuss it here, really... AH, if anyone who knew of her, who a few here seem to, had a SHRED of respect for her they would not discuss this so close to the incident on a public forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Common as...

aidan24326 wrote: »
    A bad upbringing can only feed into an already pre-existing propensity for sociopathic behaviour.

This point is what I was getting at, do you believe that some humans are born bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

aDeener wrote: »
    i somehow doubt a father after having a daughter murdered would appreciate hearing of sympathy for the murderers......
    Again there is a big difference between empathy and sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

no idea who she was, nor do i care, horrible thing to happen to nyone, what i dont get is the need to discuss it here, really... AH, if anyone who knew of her, who a few here seem to, had a SHRED of respect for her they would not discuss this so close to the incident on a public forum.

If you applied that to everything/ everyone, the whole of boards would have to close down.
    I think you're being unfair, the vast majority of ppl on here (bar the few mentallers who are feeling sorry for the murderers ) have nothing but sympathy and heartache for the family and the situation. if i were a family member I for one in the passing of time, upon reading this would be comforted by the support and sympathy was being given to my family/ daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This point is what I was getting at, do you believe that some humans are born bad.

I believe that some people have a propensity towards violence/sociopathic behaviour yes, be it genetic or whatever, and that in some cases it's true that a particularly troubled upbringing could be a definite factor in the subsequent actions of that person. I wasn't denying that much, I just meant that it seems nowadays too easy to blame the upbringing/the alco stepfather/the childhood upheaval etc as the excuse for all ills. It can be a factor alright but I think there's a tendency to exaggerate it, just my opinion. We're going a bit off-topic now anyway.

I believe that some people have a propensity towards violence/sociopathic behaviour yes, be it genetic or whatever, and that in some cases it's true that a particularly troubled upbringing could be a definite factor in the subsequent actions of that person. I wasn't denying that much, I just meant that it seems nowadays too easy to blame the upbringing/the alco stepfather/the childhood upheaval etc as the excuse for all ills. It can be a factor alright but I think there's a tendency to exaggerate it, just my opinion..

exactly, this constant bleeding heart, my daddy left and my dog died tripe is all too common place in todays courts. Jesus if we were all to use the 'poor me' card i'm sure we'd have total anarchy.

For the 20 ppl with **** lives/ upbringings who use this as a defence there are 80 ppl with **** lives who never have cause to..........cause they just deal with life like the rest of us !

Right now anyone of us could probably pull out some incident or occurence that could be used in defence of a crime. and yet ironically i doubt Michaela Harte could ! I'd imagine she lived a blameless life and i for one would easily admit that on paper, when you consider worthiness of character and her contribution to life and the future, of anyone you could describe on paper she was testament to an ideal. Young, beautiful, successful, inspirational, popular, a life of children and happiness ready and waiting for her...............only for a couple of lowlifes to want to get away with a few quid. I think thats what is subconsciously horrific to us about all this; I for one did nothing the right way, and yet here i still am..........she was the poster child for the fairytale ending and yet look where the poor girl is now. it's just so very very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Dean820 wrote: »
    Her poor husband will be kicking himself he didn't go back with her, poor man. Wasn't his fault of course.

Wish I was back home, just to here my mothers obligatory "must have been the husband that did it" line that she usually trots. Im half thinking of petitioning the Dept of Justice to bar her from any type of jury service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bake him away, Toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

The Belfast Telegraph is reporting that there was no confession; it was just a rumor:
    Last night Inspector Ranjit Jokhoo said "There have been no confessions from any of the suspects despite numerous rumours."
    And regarding their legal system:
    Under the legal system in Mauritius, criminal suspects can be charged before an investigation is complete. A director of public prosecutions later decides whether to proceed with the initial charge.
    All three men face up to 45 years in jail if found guilty.

The poor girl fought so hard for her life, I feel so bad for what she went through. They reportedly found skin tissue under her nails so now forensics have a good chance of nailing the killer(s) using that evidence, which is far more reliable than some shaky confessions from scared suspects.
    The authorities have been piecing together the series of events and officers now believe she was wrestled to the ground and dragged into the bathroom before being strangled in the bath.
    The water was still running in the bath when her husband of just 12 days discovered her body.
    Police say there were signs of a struggle at the scene and skin tissues were discovered under the 27-year-old’s fingernails.
    http://tinyurl.com/46c5tau

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

If you applied that to everything/ everyone, the whole of boards would have to close down.
    I think you're being unfair, the vast majority of ppl on here (bar the few mentallers who are feeling sorry for the murderers ) have nothing but sympathy and heartache for the family and the situation. if i were a family member I for one in the passing of time, upon reading this would be comforted by the support and sympathy was being given to my family/ daughter.

Jesus. Mentallers ffs. Get off your high horse. I'm sick of repeating myself about this. I EMPATHISE with them.

The sensationalist crowd on here seem to love reading my words as:

"couldn't give a f*ck about the victim, I feel sorry for the murderers".

This is so stupid, it's actually really annoying, and reflects more on those posters than myself.

My heart goes out to Michaela and her family, I hate to think of their sufering. It's such an awful thing to happen.

YET

There is no evidence yet to pin those people to the case, it's said today there are no confessions, there are stories of police brutality. Maybe I have empathy for them because I am not sure if they are innocent or guilty yet.

We should keep an open mind.

I'm so sick of all this arguing on here. Michaela RIP.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Mentallers ffs. Get off your high horse. I'm sick of repeating myself about this. I EMPATHISE with them.

The sensationalist crowd on here seem to love reading my words as:

"couldn't give a f*ck about the victim, I feel sorry for the murderers".

This is so stupid, it's actually really annoying, and reflects more on those posters than myself.

My heart goes out to Michaela and her family, I hate to think of their sufering. It's such an awful thing to happen.

YET

There is no evidence yet to pin those people to the case, it's said today there are no confessions, there are stories of police brutality. Maybe I have empathy for them because I am not sure if they are innocent or guilty yet.

We should keep an open mind.

I'm so sick of all this arguing on here. Michaela RIP.

WTF ?
    Eh paranoid much ? Where did i mention you ?????
    This thread isn't about you and your empathy you know. Why don't YOU get off YOUR high horse love !

WTF ?
    Eh paranoid much ? Where did i mention you ?????
    This thread isn't about you and your empathy you know. Why don't YOU get off YOUR high horse love !

:rolleyes:
    Only myself and one other poster have expressed empathy for them, so yes your comments affect me. Maybe think before you post.

I think this is getting slightly out of hand.

I don't think one poster has said that they feel sympathy for the people that killed Mrs McAreavey.

A few things have been said:

1) We don't have the full story regarding the killing. We know that one person has confessed thus far under dubious circumstances (police torture/beating).
    2) Anyone that murders someone is f*cked up in the head. Whether or not they come from a bad family etc. is down to the personal situation of that person. But it's stupid and incorrect to say that someone who could take another person's life is not messed up mentally.
    3) A person that is messed up enough mentally that they have such little respect for human life that they would take it away over some jewellery is REALLY f*cked up.
    4) Many people need to look up the difference between empathy and sympathy. IMO it is perfectly normal to empathise with someone who kills another human because of the reasons above. It may not be their childhood or whatever, but they're sick in the head and perhaps deserve a shed of empathy.
    5) It's not normal or correct to sympathise with a murderer....
    6) This is a thread discussing the killing of Michaela McAreavey. If you don't want to talk about the circumstances of her killing and you want to wear kid gloves, then I suggest you try one of the countless other condolences threads on boards (apparently the GAA thread is the one you want to try :rolleyes:)

I'm not trying to back-seat moderate, but this shít is getting out of hand and some of us want to have a thread to discuss the latest updates of what is happening... and if people don't cut the shít out you can be damn sure the mods will lock this thread.

/rant

:rolleyes:
    Maybe think before you post.

Think before I post ?

In a thread that is predominantly about Michaela and the sympathy felt toward her family, the majority of your comments are about the 'killers' who ever they may be, and the way 'they ' might be feeling !

I wrote a post which was entirely devoted to the devastatation it must be for her family and all you saw in it was one word that you chose to refer to you !

I'm absolutely astounded at your attempt to instigate an argument where there none.

Take your own advice and think before you post.

I hope in the letter you suggest writing to mickey harte, you refrain from mention the empathy you have for his daughters killers !

The body of murdered woman Michaela Harte is to be flown home from Mauritius later today.

Her widower John and her brother Mark were on the island as her coffin was taken from the hospital morgue to the airport, where it will be flown to London on the first stage of her journey back home.

Ms Harte's body is set to be flown out tonight at 10.20pm local time (6.20pm Irish time), along with her husband and other family members. Relatives hope her remains will arrive in London sometime early tomorrow morning and then be flown on to Belfast.

It is expected her funeral will take place close to her Co Tyrone early next week - in the same church where she wed only weeks ago.

Irish Ambassador in South Africa Brendan McMahon, who is on the holiday island, said his immediate aim was to get Mrs McAreavey’s remains and family members home as soon as possible.

“We are certainly very hopeful this will happen this evening. We hope and pray there will be not any last minute hitches.” he told RTE radio.

Mr McMahon said people on the island were shocked by the murder.

"This is not a violent societey. Staff at the hotel are stunned and are attending a memorial service for Michaela this afternoon," he said.

He said a number of Irish people were currently staying at the hotel.

Mr McMahon made no comment on the investigation or the speed with which it is progressing.

The repatriation is taking place as police continue their investigation into her murder in the luxury Legends Hotel on Monday.

Three employees of the hotel were charged yesterday over the death of Michaela Harte, who was murdered last Monday on the tropical island.

Room attendant Avinash Treebhoowoon (29) of Plaines des Roches, floor manager Sandip Mooneea (41) of Pettit Raffray and cleaner Raj Theekoy of the Cottages appeared before Mapou district court in the north of the island.

Mr Treebhoowoon and Mr Mooneea were provisionally charged with the murder of Ms Harte, who was found strangled in her hotel bedroom, while Mr Theekoy was charged with complicity to murder. An autopsy report confirmed Ms Harte died as a result of neck compression.

In a press briefing this morning, police outlined how they said two of the three men admitted their involvement in the murder; the main suspect has yet to admit guilt.

Initially six people were questioned over Ms Harte's killing, which took place while she was on honeymoon with her husband John McAreavey, the former Down footballer.

However, the police have reduced the number of suspects to those charged, the court heard.

International and local media waited for three hours for the accused to arrive at the old colonial-style courthouse. All of the men appeared to be distressed.

With tears rolling down their faces they were marched past their friends, relatives and onlookers in handcuffs into the courthouse, where they were placed in a holding cell until proceedings began.

In front of a packed courthouse which included relatives of the defendants, Magistrate Bono Mally was told by the police what charges were being brought against them. She subsequently remanded them all in custody until February 2nd next when a bail hearing will take place.

Only one of the three men had a legal representative present.

Barrister S Ravi Rutnah asked the magistrate if his client, Avinash Treebhoowoon, could address the court in relation to an alleged assault he had suffered at the hands of the police while he was in custody.

According to Mr Treebhoowoon, he was brought to the office of the major crime investigation team where he was hit around the ears before being beaten with a hose on his feet.

“They undressed me and lay me on a table and with a water hose they beat me on the bottom of my feet. They then put a towel over my head and beat, choked and kicked me,” he claimed.

The barrister called on the court to immediately take his client for a medical examination to ascertain if there were signs of any injuries.

“An atrocious crime has been committed and our country is now being watched by the international community. Our name has been tarnished and if the police start acting like this what will be left of our country,” he said to the court.

The magistrate agreed that Mr Treebhoowoon should be sent for a medical examination and she called for an investigation into the allegations.

Speaking outside the court, Mr Treebhoowoon’s new wife Reshma, who had spoken to her husband, said: “He insisted he was innocent and that he has not committed this awful crime,” she said.

Summary: Michaela's body is expected to arrive in London at 18:20 this evening and hopefully in Belfast tomorrow morning.

Two of the three men have confessed, but the main suspect has yet to confess.

Mr Avinash Treebhoowoon (29), a room attendant who is provisionally charged with murder (but is seemingly not the main suspect) has claimed, through his barrister, that he was tortured in custody and (from my reading it appears) that he gave his "confession" because of this torture. He stated that:
    “They undressed me and lay me on a table and with a water hose they beat me on the bottom of my feet. They then put a towel over my head and beat, choked and kicked me,”

Treebhoowoon's wife has stated that he is adamant that he is innocent.

In a thread that is predominantly about Michaela and the sympathy felt toward her family, the majority of your comments are about the 'killers' who ever they may be, and the way 'they ' might be feeling !

Actually, as far as I can see this thread is an ongoing discussion about the killers (who have allegedly been identified) and the circumstances surrounding her death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

BettePorter and midlandsmissus chill out a bit.

Less of the "think before you post" and "love" snipping.

this is the one and only warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

i would hazard a guess that they are the people who admitted to it
    if these aren't the ones who done it i'll gladly eat a dish of humble pie.

According to Mauritius's police chief, 'They have not confessed but we have circumstantial sort of evidence but we are trying to find some other evidence to link them to the charge.'

Evidence against men 'circumstantial'

Once again: why are you, and other posters here, rushing to condemn people, who are only accused of murder, as guilty before they have been brought to court, fairly tried and then convicted?

It's eerily reminiscent of the sort of guilty until proven innocent/ "hang 'em all" mob rule view which condemned certain Irish people to years in prison for crimes which they didn't commit.

Think before I post ?

I wrote a post which was entirely devoted to the devastatation it must be for her family and all you saw in it was one word that you chose to refer to you !

I'm absolutely astounded at your attempt to instigate an argument where there none.

Take your own advice and think before you post.

I hope in the letter you suggest writing to mickey harte, you refrain from mention the empathy you have for his daughters killers !

AS IF in a hundred million years I would EVER write to Mickey Harte and say I have empathy for his daughter's killers....god almighty.

I see the mod's post there, so we'll leave it there Betteporter.

I'm sure we can both agree on the main point that we both feel so badly for her family and hope they can come through this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

The situation as it stands couldn't really get any worse for the Harte family. Soon enough, probably after she is buried, they'll pass from the shock stage of grieving to the anger stage, when naturally enough they will want justice for their murdered daughter. But so far the criminal investigation into Michaela's murder has been hugely tainted.

Obviously we don't know if the suspects who confessed are guilty or if there really was police brutality involved, but the very suggestion that there was has planted a little seed of doubt that may never go away even if these men are convicted in a court of law.

All Michaela's family will want is justice so they can have a bit of closure, but this case, so far, looks like it's heading towards being one of those perennial "did they or didn't they" scenarios. It's very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0113/breaking5.html
    Harte's body to be flown home

The body of murdered woman Michaela Harte is to be flown home from Mauritius later today.

Her coffin has been taken from the hospital morgue to the airport, where it will be flown to London on the first stage of her journey back home.

Ms Harte's body is set to be flown out tonight at 10.20pm local time (6.20pm Irish time), along with her husband and other family members. Relatives hope her remains will arrive in London sometime early tomorrow and then be flown on to Belfast.

It is expected her funeral will take place close to her Co Tyrone early next week - in the same church where she wed only weeks ago.

Irish Ambassador in South Africa Brendan McMahon, who is on the island, said his immediate aim was to get Ms Harte's remains and family members home as soon as possible. Her brother and her husband's brother are on the island.

“We are certainly very hopeful this will happen this evening. We hope and pray there will be not any last minute hitches,” he said. Mr McMahon said people on the island were shocked by the murder.

"This is not a violent societey. Staff at the hotel are stunned and are attending a memorial service for Michaela this afternoon," he said on RTE.

He said a number of Irish people were currently staying at the hotel. Mr McMahon made no comment on the investigation or the speed with which it is progressing.

The repatriation is taking place as police continue their investigation into her murder in the luxury Legends Hotel on Monday.

Three employees of the hotel were charged yesterday over the death of Michaela Harte, who was murdered last Monday on the tropical island.

Room attendant Avinash Treebhoowoon (29) of Plaines des Roches, floor manager Sandip Mooneea (41) of Pettit Raffray and cleaner Raj Theekoy of the Cottages appeared before Mapou district court in the north of the island.

Mr Treebhoowoon and Mr Mooneea were provisionally charged with the murder of Ms Harte, who was found strangled in her hotel bedroom, while Mr Theekoy was charged with complicity to murder. An autopsy report confirmed Ms Harte died as a result of neck compression.

Initially six people were questioned over Ms Harte's killing, which took place while she was on honeymoon with her husband John McAreavey, the former Down footballer.

However, the police have reduced the number of suspects to those charged, the court heard.

International and local media waited for three hours for the accused to arrive at the old colonial-style courthouse. All of the men appeared to be distressed.

With tears rolling down their faces they were marched past their friends, relatives and onlookers in handcuffs into the courthouse, where they were placed in a holding cell until proceedings began.

In front of a packed courthouse which included relatives of the defendants, Magistrate Bono Mally was told by the police what charges were being brought against them. She subsequently remanded them all in custody until February 2nd next when a bail hearing will take place.

Only one of the three men had a legal representative present.

Barrister S Ravi Rutnah asked the magistrate if his client, Avinash Treebhoowoon, could address the court in relation to an alleged assault he had suffered at the hands of the police while he was in custody.

According to Mr Treebhoowoon, he was brought to the office of the major crime investigation team where he was hit around the ears before being beaten with a hose on his feet.

“They undressed me and lay me on a table and with a water hose they beat me on the bottom of my feet. They then put a towel over my head and beat, choked and kicked me,” he claimed.

The barrister called on the court to immediately take his client for a medical examination to ascertain if there were signs of any injuries.

“An atrocious crime has been committed and our country is now being watched by the international community. Our name has been tarnished and if the police start acting like this what will be left of our country,” he said to the court.

The magistrate agreed that Mr Treebhoowoon should be sent for a medical examination and she called for an investigation into the allegations.

Speaking outside the court, Mr Treebhoowoon’s new wife Reshma, who had spoken to her husband, said: “He insisted he was innocent and that he has not committed this awful crime,” she said.

What's up with the Irish Times now calling her "Ms Harte", was she not Mrs McAreavey? It seems a bit insensitive to the husband unless they have a good reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »

What's up with the Irish Times now calling her "Ms Harte", was she not Mrs McAreavey? It seems a bit insensitive to the husband unless they have a good reason for it.

It is insensitive, but at the same time she is better known as Michaela Harte, not Micheala McAreavey. Still no excuse.

Sweet job posting original content!

I would understand if it was on a different page... but like 4 or 5 posts above? :rolleyes:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70044637&postcount=266

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Give it a break OisinT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thinspired wrote: »
    The situation as it stands couldn't really get any worse for the Harte family. Soon enough, probably after she is buried, they'll pass from the shock stage of grieving to the anger stage, when naturally enough they will want justice for their murdered daughter. But so far the criminal investigation into Michaela's murder has been hugely tainted.

Obviously we don't know if the suspects who confessed are guilty or if there really was police brutality involved, but the very suggestion that there was has planted a little seed of doubt that may never go away even if these men are convicted in a court of law.

All Michaela's family will want is justice so they can have a bit of closure, but this case, so far, looks like it's heading towards being one of those perennial "did they or didn't they" scenarios. It's very sad.

Presumably (and hopefully) they'll have collected and prepared physical evidence by the time it comes to trial. Theres mention of such here.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/13/michaela-mcareavey-mauritius-honeymoon-murder
    Theres also apparently CCTV footage.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Presumably (and hopefully) they'll have collected and prepared physical evidence by the time it comes to trial. Theres mention of such here.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/13/michaela-mcareavey-mauritius-honeymoon-murder
    Theres also apparently CCTV footage.
    They seem to be flying the body out very quickly to have gathered an appropriate amount of evidence IMO.
    It's ready to go today, which means they were probably finished collecting evidence yesterday or even the day before...

I'd hope that they'd take more time if it were my loved one tbh.

Renn wrote: »
    Give it a break OisinT...
    The exact same article is literally the 6th post above that. It's not that it's my post... it's just why quote the same long article twice in 1 page? :rolleyes:

Give what a break? Posting useful information and informative posts? I can do that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

And there you go again, pathetically trying to come out on top in meaningless posts...

Anyway, enough of this.

Police in Mauritius are staging a reconstruction Thursday of the death of an Irish newlywed on the Indian Ocean island this week, they said.
    Three suspects appeared in court Wednesday in connection with the death of Michaela Harte-McAreavey, daughter of a leading Irish sports figure and wife of Gaelic football star John McAreavey.
    Her body is due to leave Mauritius Thursday and arrive Friday in Ireland, where she will be buried early next week, her family said.
    The three suspects are all employees of a luxury hotel where the 27-year-old newlywed was found strangled Monday, according to the Mauritius Police Force.
    Room attendant Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, and Sandip Moneea, 41, a floor supervisor, have been charged with murder. Room attendant Raj Theekoy, 33, faces a conspiracy charge.
    Police say one of the men has confessed and will participate in the reconstruction. CNN was not able to confirm that independently.
    The men appeared Wednesday morning at Mapou District Court in northern Mauritius, police said. They've been remanded in custody to appear again in court January 19.
    "We believe we have substantial evidence to connect them to the case," said police Superintendent Yoosoof Soopun, who is leading the investigation.
    Soopun said the three men were employees of the Legends Hotel, and authorities believe they were inside the teacher's hotel room when she returned alone.
    "We presume they were inside and burgling the room when the lady returned and were surprised and attacked her," Soopun said.
    The killer used an electronic key card to enter the room, authorities said.
    The former beauty queen's husband was in the restaurant of the hotel when his wife was killed and was not a suspect, Soopun said.
    She had returned to their room to fetch biscuits to go with her tea. When she failed to return, her husband went to look for her and found her dead, Soopun said.
    An autopsy showed that she had died from asphyxiation, said Dr. Sudesh Kumar Gungadin.
    Harte was the daughter of one of the best-known figures in Irish sports, Mickey Harte, the Tyrone Gaelic football manager.
    In a statement outside his house Tuesday, Harte said his family was "devastated," and offered support to his son-in-law.
    "What a day she had on her wedding day. She was just radiant, a beautiful girl, and I just love her to bits. So did her whole family," Harte said.
    "We will miss her so much," he added. "This is the worst nightmare that anyone can imagine. If you think things can be bad, then you go beyond that because that is where we are.
    "This is too horrible to contemplate. We are just all devastated. It is the worst of the worst and our hearts are broken," Harte said.
    Harte asked the media to refrain from contacting his son-in-law, who's "isolated out there" in Mauritius, he said.
    "Our hearts go out to him," Harte said. "The lad is devastated. He is our son-in-law. He is a wonderful young man. Please lay off."
    Harte-McAreavey taught Irish at St Patrick's Academy in Dungannon, County Tyrone, in Northern Ireland. She won the Ulster Rose of Tralee contest and participated in other beauty pageants.

Interesting. This article states that all 3 men were, in fact, in the room.

Apparently also, the guy who confessed is going to help police re-enact or stage the killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lametisse

prinz wrote: »

where does it say in this article that the accused are from Mauritius?? Do you know that Mauritius is multi-ethnic country??

• Advertisement

"We presume they were inside and burgling the room when the lady returned and were surprised and attacked her"

We presume? It doesn't seem like they have a huge amount to go on here.

Why haven't they mentioned the (alleged) skin under her nails? Surely the lab results from that would give conclusive DNA evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why haven't they mentioned the (alleged) skin under her nails? Surely the lab results from that would give conclusive DNA evidence?

DNA takes a while to process.....

At first I didn't think they were all in the room... but it's starting to sound like they were.

It may be that only one of the guys actually murdered her and the rest are being brought down with him via the doctrine of common design.

It is sad what happened to Michaela specially on her honeymoon. I have visited Mauritius a lot of times , we go there every 2 years and I know for a fact it is safe, I do not stay in hotels as we made a lot of friends and we stay at their place and some live in ghettos and yet we always felt safe.
    What happened to Michaela is that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it is sad and awful that they/he thought he will get away with it but I am also afraid that it may be the wrong persons getting accused of this horrible crime, you have to realised that having international press and the whole world eyes on Mauritius is making the police under pressure and they have to find the murderer and at all cost.
    I am going there again in 2012 so are a group of irish people who go there every year and it will not change my mind on the people, the excellent service and welcome we get every time. May she rests in peace and may the people who murdered her get a life sentence which they will and they wont have a great time in prison over there after they have tarnished the reputation of Mauritius

OisinT wrote: »
    At first I didn't think they were all in the room... but it's starting to sound like they were.

It may be that only one of the guys actually murdered her and the rest are being brought down with him via the doctrine of common design.

I think Oisin you are right. He must have panicked and I wouldnt think that killing her was what he was thinking..or maybe he was not thinking at all and no where was it said that the murderers were drug addicts, it is hard to get a job in a 5 star hotel there remember that the economy of this country is based on tourism and am sure they must have checked the record of each employees before being employed.

Lots of Newspapers are adding so much and we are all getting lost in where does the truth starts and where does the lies ends..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'd say that's the least of his worries.

OisinT wrote: »

Even if only one actually strangled her, the act of overpowering a grown woman and dragging her into a bath would almost certainly have taken more than one of them. You'd have to be a pretty strong guy to achieve that on your own, especially since the evidence suggests she put up a struggle. So whoever helped with overpowering her is as guilty as the guy who actually did the strangling, as he could have stopped him. But he didn't, and then left her there for dead. That may be why two are being charged with actual murder.

"Il a tenu à rassurer la population, après avoir exprimé ses condoléances à la famille de Michaela Harte et à tous ceux touchés par ce meurtre. “L’équipe chargée de l’enquête travaille de manière très professionnelle afin d’élucider cette affaire. La force policière comprend des effectifs très compétents et je suis très satisfait du déroulement des choses”, a précisé le commissaire de police. Il a mis l’accent sur le fait qu’aucun meurtre n’est resté non élucidé ces trois dernières années" quote in www.lematinal.com

Here the commisioner of police says that all murders have been resolved in the past 3 years ... and I just read the confession of one of the suspect " Dans ses aveux, le présumé auteur du crime déclare qu’il est entré dans la chambre 1025 qu’occupait le couple McAreavey facilement puisque la porte était entrouverte. Alors qu’il se trouvait dans la chambre, il a été surpris par le retour de Michaela Harte. Il est parti se cacher à l’arrière du lit d’où il pouvait observer les mouvements de la jeune femme à travers une vitre près du lit. A un certain moment, il s’en est pris à la nouvelle mariée et l’a étranglée à mort avec son bras. Michaela Harte a reçu aussi des blessures à la tête.

Il ressort de nos recoupements que le présumé meurtrier aurait bénéficié de la complicité d’un collègue pour déplacer le cadavre alors qu’un troisième assistait passivement à la scène. Mais peu après, ce dernier aurait aidé les deux autres à faire le ménage."

I will try to translate this bit as it might help :) In his confession the presumed suspect of the crime declare that he entered the room 1025 which was occupied by the McAreavey couple easily as the door was not close properly. When he was in the room he got surprised by the return of Michaela Harte. He went hidding behind the bed where he could observe the movements of the young woman through the mirror near the bed. At a certain time, he just jumped ( cant find the right translation for s'en est pris..) and strangled her to death with his arms. Michaela Harte had received head injuries also.

What we also found out that the presumed murderer had got help from the accomplicity of a college on the murder scene and shortly afterwards, the later also help the other two to clean up.. hope it helps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

terrible terrible tragedy, one of the hardest stories to hear in a long long time. for the poor man, to have his wife taken from him, 10 days into their marraige, is perhaps the most shocking thing that can ever happen to anybody. deepest sympathys go out to both familys also, really difficult to understand what they are going through.

i had been planning to going to Maurituas, got quotes off a local travel agent a few weeks ago for going there in July, however just out of sheer principal, ill never go there. maybe knee jerk, but if those hotels cant keep people safe and employ people that are trust worthy, they f*ck them and their poxy resorts. hope the ba*tards all rot in hell..

amiable wrote: »
    I'd say that's the least of his worries.

It's nevertheless a valid observation.

• Advertisement

terrible terrible tragedy, one of the hardest stories to hear in a long long time. for the poor man, to have his wife taken from him, 10 days into their marraige, is perhaps the most shocking thing that can ever happen to anybody. deepest sympathys go out to both familys also, really difficult to understand what they are going through.

Excellent post.
    i had been planning to going to Maurituas, got quotes off a local travel agent a few weeks ago for going there in July, however just out of sheer principal, ill never go there. maybe knee jerk, but if those hotels cant keep people safe and employ people that are trust worthy, they f*ck them and their poxy resorts. hope the ba*tards all rot in hell..

Substitute Ireland for Mauritius and would you still say the same about Ireland and the Irish people based on a single experience in a single Irish hotel? Be reasonable.

Because of one crime?? I will go again to Mauritius so because of what happen on 9/11 should we all stop taking planes?? Its sad to say but **** happens everywhere..how many people got killed in ireland that were foreigners? Should we talk about Sophie Toscan du Plantier??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

lametisse wrote: »
    "Il a tenu à rassurer la population, après avoir exprimé ses condoléances à la famille de Michaela Harte et à tous ceux touchés par ce meurtre. “L’équipe chargée de l’enquête travaille de manière très professionnelle afin d’élucider cette affaire. La force policière comprend des effectifs très compétents et je suis très satisfait du déroulement des choses”, a précisé le commissaire de police. Il a mis l’accent sur le fait qu’aucun meurtre n’est resté non élucidé ces trois dernières années" quote in www.lematinal.com

Here the commisioner of police says that all murders have been resolved in the past 3 years ... and I just read the confession of one of the suspect " Dans ses aveux, le présumé auteur du crime déclare qu’il est entré dans la chambre 1025 qu’occupait le couple McAreavey facilement puisque la porte était entrouverte. Alors qu’il se trouvait dans la chambre, il a été surpris par le retour de Michaela Harte. Il est parti se cacher à l’arrière du lit d’où il pouvait observer les mouvements de la jeune femme à travers une vitre près du lit. A un certain moment, il s’en est pris à la nouvelle mariée et l’a étranglée à mort avec son bras. Michaela Harte a reçu aussi des blessures à la tête.

Il ressort de nos recoupements que le présumé meurtrier aurait bénéficié de la complicité d’un collègue pour déplacer le cadavre alors qu’un troisième assistait passivement à la scène. Mais peu après, ce dernier aurait aidé les deux autres à faire le ménage."

I will try to translate this bit as it might help :) In his confession the presumed suspect of the crime declare that he entered the room 1025 which was occupied by the McAreavey couple easily as the door was not close properly. When he was in the room he got surprised by the return of Michaela Harte. He went hidding behind the bed where he could observe the movements of the young woman through the mirror near the bed. At a certain time, he just jumped ( cant find the right translation for s'en est pris..) and strangled her to death with his arms. Michaela Harte had received head injuries also.

What we also found out that the presumed murderer had got help from the accomplicity of a college on the murder scene and shortly afterwards, the later also help the other two to clean up.. hope it helps ;)

So she wasn't strangled in the bath then? Okay....the story is ever-changing, but interesting that their door was not completely closed which explains why their room was targeted.

thebigleap wrote: »
    So she wasn't strangled in the bath then? Okay....the story is ever-changing, but interesting that their door was not completely closed which explains why their room was targeted.

I will check more mauritian papers but theres nothing said about her being strangled in the bath or being put in the bath .. I presume thats part of the clean up being done afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

thebigleap wrote: »

And why when the police said a keycard must have been used, they were incorrect. The door may well have been ajar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

lametisse wrote: »
    Because of one crime?? I will go again to Mauritius so because of what happen on 9/11 should we all stop taking planes?? Its sad to say but **** happens everywhere..how many people got killed in ireland that were foreigners? Should we talk about Sophie Toscan du Plantier??

I don't think one crime should stop people from visiting this country but I think many people find the murder very unsettling because it happened in the couple's own hotel room in the hotel at around 3pm, there's something very unsettled about that. Although I don' think this should stop people from visiting Mauritius, I am only 23 and I would be willing to take the risk, I plan to travel central america this summer and I am aware of the dangers over there but when it comes to a couple in their 40's or 50's wanting to go over to Mauritius for 2 weeks in a lovely resort this story will certainly change their mind and a lot of people's minds on Mauritius unfortunately that's the way it is. People go away to relax, I can't see many people relaxing in their hotel room after what has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Dionysus wrote: »
    According to Mauritius's police chief, 'They have not confessed but we have circumstantial sort of evidence but we are trying to find some other evidence to link them to the charge.'

Evidence against men 'circumstantial'

Once again: why are you, and other posters here, rushing to condemn people, who are only accused of murder, as guilty before they have been brought to court, fairly tried and then convicted?

It's eerily reminiscent of the sort of guilty until proven innocent/ "hang 'em all" mob rule view which condemned certain Irish people to years in prison for crimes which they didn't commit.

and a dish i shall eat as promised. however should they end up being guilty i'm afraid i will have to stick my fingers down my throat and get that pie back out of me

Dionysus wrote: »
    Substitute Ireland for Mauritius and would you still say the same about Ireland and the Irish people based on a single experience in a single Irish hotel? Be reasonable.
    People go away to relax, I can't see many people relaxing in their hotel room after what has happened.

Quite aside from knee-jerk reactions towards Mauritius (previously considered fairly safe) this does raise the issue of hotel security in general.

Hotels clearly need to be careful about who they employ, and who is allowed access to master key cards. It's unsettling to think you can be in your hotel room, day or night, and there's people who have access to your room at any time, and you don't know who the fcuk they are. There's a reason we keep the door locked at home.

There's no use bashing Mauritius over this. What's to stop something similiar happening in a Dublin hotel? Not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

i think homerjay himself described it as a kneejerk reaction. In otherwords i guess its still raw and people are emotional about the whole situation. We're human and humans have knee jerk reactions sometimes.
    It doesn't mean its right

• Advertisement

Avinash Treebhoowon, le valet de chambre de l’hôtel Legends, qui avait été arrêté, est passé aux aveux. Il a admis avoir tué Michaela Harte, la jeune touriste irlandaise retrouvée morte dans l’établissement hôtelier.
    Le principal suspect dans le meurtre de Michaela Harte, la jeune touriste retrouvée morte dans sa chambre à l’hôtel 5-étoiles Legends, est passé aux aveux. Avinash Treebhoowon, le valet de chambre arrêté depuis le mardi 10 janvier a admis avoir étranglé la jeune irlandaise qui est revenue dans sa chambre alors qu’il y était.
    C’est le commissaire de police, Dhun Iswar Rampersad, qui a personnellement livré ces informations aux journalistes, lors d’un point de presse, dans la matinée de ce jeudi 13 janvier, aux Casernes centrales à Port-Louis. Le chef de la police était entouré de son adjoint Mario Nobin, de l’assistant commissaire Pregassen Vuddamalay, responsable du CCID, et du surintendant Yousouf Soopun, responsable du Major Crimes Investigation Division,
    Le commissaire de police a aussi révélé que le deuxième suspect le ‘Floor supervisor’ Sandip Mooneea, impliqué dans le délit par le principal suspect, a aussi donné sa version des faits. Mooneea a déclaré aux enquêteurs qu’il était à proximité de la chambre du couple irlandais quand il a vu Avinash Treebhoowon en sortir. Celui-ci lui aurait expliqué qu’il avait eu un problème avec la touriste, mais il l’avait prié de ne rien révéler. « Sandip Mooneea sera accusé de complicité de meurtre », a déclaré Dhun Iswur Rampersad.
    Ce sont les enregistrements des cameras vidéos de l’hôtel qui ont mis les enquêteurs sur la piste de ces employés d’hôtels, meurtriers présumés. En effet, l’une des caméras a saisi une conversation animée entre les deux collègues et Raj Theekoye, un autre valet de chambre, à proximité de la chambre, dans l’après midi du 10 janvier, quand le crime avait été commis.
    Les trois employés avaient été arrêtés tard le mardi 11 janvier. Lors de leurs interrogatoires, c’est Theekoye qui avait indiqué aux enquêteurs qu’il avait vu ses deux collègues sortir de la chambre de Michaela Harte en sueurs. Les relevés informatiques ont démontré qu’Avinash Treebhoowon était entré dans la chambre à 14h10 en utilisant sa carte magnétique. Celle à la disposition du Floor Supervisor avait été utilisée à 14h42, alors que la carte délivrée à Michaela Harte est passée dans la serrure à 14h44. La jeune femme a été trouvée morte vers le 15h30.
    Les présumés meurtriers seront déférés en justice. Avinash Treebhoowon répondra d’une accusation de meurtre et Sandip Mooneea de complicité de meurtre. Ils risquent jusqu’à 45 ans de prison. L’interrogatoire de Theekoye se poursuit.
    Le commissaire de police a tenu à préciser que les accusés ont consigné leurs dépositions en présence de leurs avocats. Les enquêteurs travaillent maintenant sur la chronologie des événements menant au crime. Ils prennent note de l’emploi du temps, ce lundi 10 janvier, de tous ceux concernés par ce meurtre. Une reconstitution des faits aura lieu cet après midi, jeudi 13 janvier à 16h30.
    Par ailleurs, les enquêteurs disent être restés en contact avec John Mc Areavey, l’époux de la victime. Il sera, sans doute, appelé à venir témoigner, lors du procès des meurtriers présumés.
    Le surintendant Yousouf Soopun, responsable l’enquête s’est aussi entretenu avec les proches de Michaela Harte, dont son père et ses frères. Ces derniers sont venus à Maurice prendre la dépouille de la victime et rentrer en Irlande, ce soir.
    Taken from one of the most reputable newspaper of the island

Avinash Treebhoowon, the room valet of the hotel Legends, who was arrested, confessed. He admitted killing Michaela Harte the young irish tourist found dead at the hotel.
    The principal suspect in the murder case of Michaela Harte, the young tourist found dead in the 5 stars hotel legends confessed. Avinash Treebhoowon the room valet arrested since Tuesday the 10th of January has admitted of strangling the young Irish woman who came in the room while he was in there.
    It is the commissioner of police, Dhun Iswar Rampersad, who had personally, gave these information’s to the journalists at a press conference in the morning of Thursday 13th of January at Casernes Centrales in Port-Louis. The commissioner of police along with his assistant Mario Nobin , the assistant commissioner Pregassen Vuddamalay , the one in charge of CCID, and the superintendant Yousouf Soopun , in charge of the Major Crimes Investigation Division.
    The Police Commissioner also told that the second suspect the ‘Floor supervisor Sandip Moonea, who was implied in the crime by the main suspect, have also, gave his versions of what happened. Moonea declared to the investigators that he was nearby the room of the Irish couple when he saw Avinash Treebhoowon came out. The later explained that he had a problem with the tourist, and beg him not to report him. “ Sandip Moonea will be accused of complicity of murder” declared Dhun Iswur Rampersad.
    It was the CCTV videos of the hotels that put the investigators on the case of the presumed suspects. In one of the videos caught an agitated conversation between the two colleagues and Raj Theekoye another room attendant nearby the room in the afternoon of the 10th of January, when the crime was committed.
    The three employees were arrested later on the Tuesday the 11th of January. During their interrogations its Theekoye who told the investigators that he saw his two colleagues coming out of Michaela Harte’s room in sweats. The electronic data showed that Avinash Treebhoowon entered the room at 14h42 by using his magnetic card. The card in the possession of the floor supervisor was used at 14h42 while the card given to Michaela Harte was used in the door at 14h44. The young woman was found dead around 15h30.
    The presumed murderers will be referred to justice.Avinash Treebhoowon will answer to the accusation of murder and Sandip Moonea the one of complicity of murder. They risk up to 45 years in prison. The questioning of Avinash is still going on.
    The police commissioner also declared that the accused consigned their confessions in the presence of their lawyers. The investigators are working on the time frame of the event until the crime. They are taking notes of the work planner of the Monday 10th of January of all concerned by the murder. A reconstitution of the murder act will be held in the afternoon of the 13th of January at 16h30.
    The investigators said they kept in touch with John Mc Aveavey the husband of the victim. He will without doubt call as witness during the hearing of the presumed murderers.
    The superintendant Yousouf Soopun in charge of the case also talked to the close relatives o f Michaela Harte, her father and brothers. They came to Mauritius to take the body of the victim and are returning to Ireland, tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement