Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheala Hartes murder, suspects caught

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dionysus wrote: »
    Substitute Ireland for Mauritius and would you still say the same about Ireland and the Irish people based on a single experience in a single Irish hotel? Be reasonable.
    lametisse wrote: »
    Because of one crime?? I will go again to Mauritius so because of what happen on 9/11 should we all stop taking planes?? Its sad to say but **** happens everywhere..how many people got killed in ireland that were foreigners? Should we talk about Sophie Toscan du Plantier??

im entitled to spend my holidays and money where i want and right now, ive no intention of spenind my money there anymore.

the hotel let this happen. as regards the STdP murder, that was a murder, nobody knows what happened or even who did it. that sort of thing, happens day in, day out all over the world, to every nationality.

while i am sure, that this has never happened in Maurituas before and probably never happen again, it happened in a scene that it shouldnt and one life lost is too much. chances are, if these lads were robbing hotel rooms on this day, they had done it before and if one of them is a supervisor, it would suggest that the hiring system there is rotten to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lametisse

im entitled to spend my holidays and money where i want and right now, ive no intention of spenind my money there anymore.

the hotel let this happen. as regards the STdP murder, that was a murder, nobody knows what happened or even who did it. that sort of thing, happens day in, day out all over the world, to every nationality.

while i am sure, that this has never happened in Maurituas before and probably never happen again, it happened in a scene that it shouldnt and one life lost is too much. chances are, if these lads were robbing hotel rooms on this day, they had done it before and if one of them is a supervisor, it would suggest that the hiring system there is rotten to the core.

Because it is not here?? You never heard of people being hired here because they are good friends or related to some bloke in management.. am sure things like that do not happen in ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I don't know if anybody has linked to Tyrone GAA's Book of Condolences. Here it is for anybody who'd like to sign:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JohnfromGalway

I would be interested to know how many robberies there have been in this hotel in the recent past that have been blamed on some "locals breaking into the hotel?"
    It would be no problem for hotel staff to search names from their guest registry on the internet to gain some idea of the calibre of the people staying with them. This poor girl's name would have been all over the internet due to her numerous media appearances and family connections, which may have given some the notion that she was worth robbing.
    I would like to see some effort being made to examine patterns of previous robberies (if any) at the hotel.
    I would be surprised if the conspiracy element within the hotel was limited to the 3 persons charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Theekoy, who is charged with conspiracy, is alleged to have passed along the corridor outside the room in the luxury Legends Hotel while the struggle was taking place but, despite hearing screams, did nothing to stop it.

IMO you'd have to do more than that to be charged with conspiracy to murder here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ct89

snyper wrote: »
    Very sad. Really horrible.

The theory is they were robbing the room and she came across them?

Either was its an awful was to lose your life, on what should be one of the best times of your life.

Look at you pretending to give a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Dionysus wrote: »
    It's nevertheless a valid observation.
    So its been established that she wanted to take her married name?
    As i said in my earlier posts that's the very least of his worries and irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'm a bit late to this thread and story. Nursing a broken heart myself so I made a point of not following the story as I found it just so so upsetting.

I saw the papers this morning on the news and it says she is home. God Bless her family.

I can't believe how cruel life can be sometimes. Her husband must be utterly broken. I dont know how he is even getting through the days.

Prayers and love to all the family. I cant think of anything else to say, just that in time I hope they find all find a sense of peace. This must be the worst experience of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Very sad news, can't imagine what it would be like to experience it.
    I would be interested to know how many robberies there have been in this hotel in the recent past that have been blamed on some "locals breaking into the hotel?".

FWIW I'd be surprised if any previous robberies were blamed on locals breaking in - the hotel is walled off, and there are only two ways in - through the security gate, or by sailing onto their private beach. The minute I read the story I felt it was staff responsible.

That said, when I stayed there the staff were extremely hard working and friendly - worked 7 days a week and only allowed take 5 days per year off. Might sound odd (and not intended as callous) - but I can't imagine that the staff came across cash or jewellry too often in the rooms - each room has a free safe, and you don't actually spend cash in there - the honeymoon package is generally all inclusive which almost everyone takes, and theres little or nothing to spend your money on there. You're even asked not to tip in cash but rather give an overall tip at the end of your stay which is shared between all staff.

I'd actually go back - my wife wouldn't be soon keen.

Anyway, hopefully justice will be served.

• Advertisement

I was in Antigua with now ex :( in september. The hotel next ours was called Cocos and it is the place where that other murder on honeymoon took place.

It happened a few years ago and we could see how much security was stepped up. There is a lot poverty in Antigua, people live very simply and the men convicted probably saw this as their chance to make a quick buck.

It is just so awful that such a simple decision to go get a biscuit at that particular time has resulted in all this heartbreak for her family.

We all just have to be grateful for our lives, no matter how grim things may be and how isolated it may feel. We have a chance to turn things around down the line; get a job if that is the case, mend a broken heart, to live, laugh again.

I for one am starting to see hope through the despair. It's just awful that it took this story to happen for me to really realise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Avinash Treebhowon a indiqué comment Sandip Moonea a étranglé la jeune mariée venue en lune de miel à Maurice. Il a participé à une reconstitution ce jeudi 13 janvier. Tout comme son collègue Raj Theekoye, celui qui a permis de démêler l’intrigue.

C’est une tentative de vol qui a mal tourné. Comme soupçonné par la police mauricienne dès le départ, l’Irlandaise Michaela Harte a perdu la vie dans l’après-midi du lundi 10 janvier parce qu’elle est revenue vers sa chambre, à l'hôtel Legends, au mauvais moment.|

En effet, elle était venue chercher des biscuits qu’elle avait pris l’habitude de croquer en prenant son thé. Elle est tombée sur Avinash Treebhowon. Le valet de chambre ayant son portefeuille en main.

Il est alors 14h44 et deux minutes plus tôt, le valet venait de pénétrer dans cette chambre de l’hôtel Legends en compagnie de son supérieur, Sandip Moonea. Michaela Harte a interpellé Avinash Treebhowon quant à la présence de son portefeuille entre ses mains. Sandip Moonea l’a alors attaquée.

C’est en substance le récit du crime relaté par Avinash Treebhowon dans ses aveux aux limiers de la Major Crimes Investigation Team (MCIT). Participant à une reconstitution des faits dans l'après midi de ce jeudi 13 janvier, au Legends, à Grand-Gaube, le valet de chambre a indiqué comment Sandip Moonea a étranglé la jeune femme et comment lui-même l’a maintenu par les jambes pour l’immobiliser.

Si Avinash Treebhowon, 29 ans, est passé aux aveux après avoir farouchement nié les faits, c’est en grande partie grâce aux témoignages de Raj Theekoye, 33 ans, un de ses collègues. Arrêté en compagnie de Sandip Moonea, 41 ans, et d’Avinash Treebhowon mardi, Theekoye a déclaré à l’équipe du surintendant Yousoof Soopun avoir entendu les cris de Michaela Harte et vu sortir ses deux collègues de la chambre du couple irlandais.

A ce stade, Sandip Moonea préfère nier les faits mais il semble que les tests ADN vont jouer en sa défaveur. En effet, il porte des égratignures aux bras et tout laisse croire que Michaela Harte l’a griffé en tentant de se libérer de son étreinte. Des prélèvements de peau ont été effectués sous les ongles de la victime et les examens conduits par le Forensic Science Laboratory devraient permettre à l’enquête d’avancer.

Dans l’intervalle, tout laisse indiquer que Raj Theekoye sera le principal témoin à charge dans cette affaire, n’ayant pas participé au crime. Inculpé de complot, l’accusation pourrait être abandonnée contre lui. Au pire, il sera jugé pour non-assistance à personne en danger.

En effet, Raj Theekoye a expliqué avoir pris peur en entendant les cris de la jeune mariée venue en lune de miel à l’hôtel avec son mari, John McAreavey. Il s’est caché et après qu’il eut vu sortir Avinash Treebhowon et Sandip Moonea de la chambre 1025, il est parti à la rencontre du premier pour lui demander ce qu’il y faisait. De peur de représailles, dit-il, il a préféré se taire quand le crime a été découvert par le mari.

Pour la MCIT, tout est désormais clair et Avinash Treebhowon et Sandip Moonea sont soupçonnés d’avoir l’habitude de détrousser les clients de l’hôtel lorsque ces derniers sont à la piscine ou au restaurant. Le duo n’a pas anticipé le fait que Michaela Harte allait retourner à sa chambre après un copieux déjeuner, estiment les enquêteurs.

Quand le crime a été découvert, la police criminelle de Grand-Gaube a aussitôt pensé à la thèse du vol qui a viré au meurtre. Le mari a découvert le corps de sa femme dans la baignoire après qu’il eut réclamé à la réception de lui ouvrir la chambre.

Il s’est inquiété de l’absence prolongée de son épouse et ce n'est qu’après qu’on lui eut ouvert qu’il a découvert le corps dans la baignoire. Quand la police s’est rendu compte qu’une carte maîtresse avait été utilisée pour ouvrir la porte de la chambre, deux minutes avant l’arrivée de la victime, les heures étaient comptées pour Avinash Treebhowon et Sandip Moonea.|

Ce jeudi 13 janvier, deux heures avant la reconstitution des faits, les proches de Michaela Harte ont participé à une messe privée dite en sa mémoire. Soit des heures avant son rapatriement vers l’Irlande où ses obsèques auront lieu, le samedi 15 janvier.

Latest update, not much new information and couldn't be bothered translating the whole lot.In short the writer is pretty certain that these guys are in fact the culprits despite all the allegations of police brutality, a master key was used two minutes beforehand to open the room and when Michaela entered the room she confronted the two men, one of whom was holding her purse.

Sandip Moonea then attacked her while Avinash Treebhowon held her legs.
    Moonea received several scratches and with the DNA evidence collected from her nails this should be sufficient to convict him.

Raj Theekoye will probably see the charges against him dropped as the worst he can be charged with is not assisting a person in danger according to the article.

Yesterday the family attended a private mass in her memory before being flown home to Ireland for the funeral.

franklyon wrote: »
    Latest update, not much new information and couldn't be bothered translating the whole lot.In short the writer is pretty certain that these guys are in fact the culprits despite all the allegations of police brutality, a master key was used two minutes beforehand to open the room and when Michaela entered the room she confronted the two men, one of whom was holding her purse.

Sandip Moonea then attacked her while Avinash Treebhowon held her legs.
    Moonea received several scratches and with the DNA evidence collected from her nails this should be sufficient to convict him.

Raj Theekoye will probably see the charges against him dropped as the worst he can be charged with is not assisting a person in danger according to the article.
    Out of interest are you a french speaker or are you using a translation service online?

amiable wrote: »
    Out of interest are you a french speaker or are you using a translation service online?

I am Irish but speak fluent French, live in Lyon so no need for an online translation service. :-)

It happened a few years ago and we could see how much security was stepped up. There is a lot poverty in Antigua, people live very simply and the men convicted probably saw this as their chance to make a quick buck.

It happened in Mauritius, not Antigua..

They realise that - they just said they were in Antigua when something similar happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

i had been planning to going to Maurituas, got quotes off a local travel agent a few weeks ago for going there in July, however just out of sheer principal, ill never go there. maybe knee jerk, but if those hotels cant keep people safe and employ people that are trust worthy, they f*ck them and their poxy resorts. hope the ba*tards all rot in hell..

There are allegations of police brutality and torture in Mauritus. As the tourism industry is so vital to Mauritus, its all they have, lets hope the police there are not too hasty to extract confessions in order to restore credibility to their tourism industry. Its all very sad. The lifestyle of those who work in such all-inclusive places also is a bit sad - another poster wrote they work very hard 7 days a week, and are only allowed out / home for 5 days per year. If they did steal stuff from a room, where would employees ( housed in dorms on the hotel property ) hide it? There are lots of unanswered questions. There are usually walls / fences around such all inclusive properties - but who says locals could not still have been involved ? I feel so sorry for her family and friends. Very sad.

jimmmy wrote: »
    If they did steal stuff from a room, where would employees ( housed in dorms on the hotel property ) hide it?

None of the Legends employees live on the property - they all live in surrounding towns. I can't imagine they'd have any trouble spending stolen cash or pawning jewelery there - Port Louis is a rather affluent city.

I know that. I'm talking about the other murder on honeymoon that someone posted on here a few pages back. Where the couple were followed back to their hotel by locals wanting to rob them. He was a doctor I think. Another desperate and senseless tragedy.

I am Irish but speak fluent French, live in Lyon so no need for an online translation service. :-)
    C'est gentil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

kdevitt wrote: »
    FWIW I'd be surprised if any previous robberies were blamed on locals breaking in - the hotel is walled off, and there are only two ways in - through the security gate, or by sailing onto their private beach. The minute I read the story I felt it was staff responsible.

That said, when I stayed there the staff were extremely hard working and friendly - worked 7 days a week and only allowed take 5 days per year off. Might sound odd (and not intended as callous) - but I can't imagine that the staff came across cash or jewellry too often in the rooms - each room has a free safe, and you don't actually spend cash in there - the honeymoon package is generally all inclusive which almost everyone takes, and theres little or nothing to spend your money on there. You're even asked not to tip in cash but rather give an overall tip at the end of your stay which is shared between all staff.
    kdevitt wrote: »
    None of the Legends employees live on the property - they all live in surrounding towns.

I see. The staff worked on the property 7 days a week, and were allowed 5 days home per year, but lived outside the campus when they were not working. Sometimes in all-inclusives the hotel owners provide accomodation on site for their workers - they usually live in a seperate accomodation block.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Sometimes in all-inclusives the hotel owners provide accomodation on site for their workers - they usually live in a seperate accomodation block.

All inclusive in Legends is just an extra you add to your package for $100 pp per day if you don't fancy paying $20 for a Vodka and Coke. There are still a few on the room only packages. Anyone staff I spoke to lived in nearby towns. Anyway, its probably getting off the point of the thread at this stage.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0114/mcareaveym.html

Her body is now home, how sad that she will be getting buried in the same church she was married in a month ago and the priest is the same one who conducted the marriage ceremony... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Why is the President and the Cardinal/Primate/whatever he is going to her funeral?

She is not a famous person. I don't get that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Why is the President and the Cardinal/Primate/whatever he is going to her funeral?

It's their prerogative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0114/mcareaveym.html

Her body is now home, how sad that she will be getting buried in the same church she was married in a month ago and the priest is the same one who conducted the marriage ceremony... :(
    She was married on the 30th Dec, thats just two weeks ago. balloons and directions to the wedding were still on the gate of the venue this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

is there a law prohibiting these people from paying their respects? :rolleyes:

fuck sake.....

and she was extremely well known and well liked in GAA circles which happens to be quite a large circle ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ordinarily I'd agree with you that it's unnecessary for the president to attend but in this case she would almost certainly know Mickey Harte personally, at least to some degree. She would have met him a number of times at GAA functions, big games in Croke Park etc. Added to that it's an Irish citizen murdered outside the state and there has been diplomatic involvement, so to be fair I don't think it has that much to do with the girl being 'famous' or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Because a nation is in mourning, thats why..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Do you have reservations about these people attending? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

r.i.p micheala

If the President and/or Brady were friends of the family, I'd have no problem whatsoever. However, I haven't seen anything to suggest that. Fair enough, Mickey Harte is a high-profile person but his daughter isn't.

I mean, did the two of them go to the funeral of Michael Martin's daughter?

If the President and/or Brady were friends of the family, I'd have no problem whatsoever. However, I haven't seen anything to suggest that. Fair enough, Mickey Harte is a high-profile person but his daughter isn't.

err yes she was, in GAA circles she definitely was and was very recognisable ever since tyrone won their first all ireland in 2003.

so what? only friends of a family can attend a funeral now?

your logic, if you can call it that, is so incredibly retarded it doesn't warrant response. i am ashamed of myself for doing so

That's not what I'm getting at.

To me, it seems like the politician and the CC are trying to get behind a tragedy for their own publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Oh ffs...just leave it out will you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

That's not what I'm getting at.

To me, it seems like the politician and the CC are trying to get behind a tragedy for their own publicity.

That's a rather cynical opinion. Her father is a sporting legend and as such is respected and revered throughout the country. People obviously want to pay their respect to Mickey Harte and in some small way show they care and well done to them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

YES

Happy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Because a nation is in mourning, thats why..

I don't want to sound like a big insensitive jerk here, but no, the nation isn't in mourning. It's sad, but why should we mourn for this poor girl any more than we mourn for the kids murdered by their dad over Christmas, or the mother of 3 kids killed in Limerick last week? I feel sad for the family, but I don't know any of them, and thus I'm not in mourning. And very few of us are. Sometimes when celebrities or well known people die, people feel as if they knew them for whatever reason, and thus it touches a some nerve, but to be honest, grieving over someone one doesn't know, or who doesn't mean anything in a personal way, is something I never really got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you that it's unnecessary for the president to attend but in this case she would almost certainly know Mickey Harte personally, at least to some degree. She would have met him a number of times at GAA functions, big games in Croke Park etc. Added to that it's an Irish citizen murdered outside the state and there has been diplomatic involvement, so to be fair I don't think it has that much to do with the girl being 'famous' or anything like that.

And M.McAleese is from the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You can be quite certain that Mary McAleese was at that funeral, how would you even need to ask?

And M.McAleese is from the north.

There is that aswell, although as I said she would have met Mickey Harte himself on a number of occasions. So I think it's a bit disingenuous to question her motives for attending this funeral, and it's not often I defend her.

And Maikikomi, as much as this is a tragic case, to suggest that 'a nation is in mourning' might be going a wee bit overboard don't you think?

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like a big insensitive jerk here, but no, the nation isn't in mourning. It's sad, but why should we mourn for this poor girl any more than we mourn for the kids murdered by their dad over Christmas, or the mother of 3 kids killed in Limerick last week? I feel sad for the family, but I don't know any of them, and thus I'm not in mourning. And very few of us are. Sometimes when celebrities or well known people die, people feel as if they knew them for whatever reason, and thus it touches a some nerve, but to be honest, grieving over someone one doesn't know, or who doesn't mean anything in a personal way, is something I never really got.

Good for you, I get it. And many more like me, who can identify with the family be it as a father, brother, lover or husband/wife.

You think I don't mourn, or feel some sense of loss at the less high profile murder's over the Christmas?.. You don't read me well so.. I've posted this more than once in recent times..

'For whom the bell tolls'

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thine own
    Or of thine friend's were.
    Each man's death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

The murder of Micheala Harte has touched the heart of the country, be a hard arse about it all you want but you know where I'm coming from even if you personally "don't get it".

So yea, I'm happy that I'm represented at the funeral by our president.

Good for you, I get it. And many more like me, who can identify with the family be it as a father, brother, lover or husband/wife.

You think I don't mourn, or feel some sense of loss at the less high profile murder's over the Christmas?.. You don't read me well so.. I've posted this more than once in recent times..

'For whom the bell tolls'

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thine own
    Or of thine friend's were.
    Each man's death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

The murder of Micheala Harte has touched the heart of the country, be a hard arse about it all you want but you know where I'm coming from even if you personally "don't get it".

So yea, I'm happy that I'm represented at the funeral by our president.

well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I didn't mention you specifically. I was pointing out that people in general tend to overreact when celebrities, or those that are well known, pass away. Diana being a case in point.

This is why I hate posting on these threads. If you don't step neatly in line with the prevailing mood, even if you are being respectful in not doing so, you're open to self righteous and personalised responses. I'm not being a hard arse, far from it, and it's a cheap shot to make against someone for merely disagreeing with you. I just don't mourn for people I don't know, or for those who haven't had a personal impact on my life. If it were otherwise, I'd have collapsed long ago through grief. And, looking around me, it's pretty clear that the nation, whilst touched by the tragedy of her death, aren't in mourning for the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I just don't mourn for people I don't know, or for those who haven't had a personal impact on my life. If it were otherwise, I'd have collapsed long ago through grief.

People are allowed to feel sad, to empathise and to be touched by someone's death and expressing that with those around you is the natural reaction in situations like these.
    I'm not a GAA fan, I'm not even in Ireland at the moment but I've been following the story from the other side of the world, I'm quite close in age to Michaela RIP and the utter tragedy and devastation of the whole situation has moved me beyond words.
    Undoubtedly it's not a fraction of what her husband, family and friends are experiencing but it's valid, it's human and it's a sadness that I'm sure will inspire hundreds of strangers to reach out to her family in whatever way they can, to send condolences, to write letters or send flowers. These outpourings could be the hope and love that get them through the day during their darkest moments, to know that Michaela made a difference and impacted on so many lives.

I can't even begin to imagine how the Harte or McAreavey families or anyone who was close to this poor woman will ever recover from this. My thoughts are with all of them and I hope they can draw strength from their memories of Michaela to get through the dark road ahead. RIP x

This is why I hate posting on these threads. If you don't step neatly in line with the prevailing mood, even if you are being respectful in not doing so, you're open to self righteous and personalised responses. I'm not being a hard arse, far from it, and it's a cheap shot to make against someone for merely disagreeing with you.

Yup, agreed and withdraw my remarks to you. Of course I know your not a hardarse.

I'm not sure if you follow sports, but when a county (except Cork, Kerry or Meath) win the Sam I celebrate for them.. I celebrate for the winner of the soccer world cup or the winner of The Grand National..

By the same token I can mourn the loss of someone who touches the nation's heart.. She didn't die the dirty death of Gerry Ryan or Katie French, she didn't mix with gangland.. She died an innocent abroad, she was any other parents daughter, a brother/sister or partner.. See where I'm coming from?.. She's my daughter when she's out and I'm worried about every bollox out there with designs on her, or my son who was recently beat up in a road rage incident.. So there ya go, I can mourn for her loss, or maybe a better way of saying it is I mourn for her family, because their sorrow touches me and others like me.

And I'm happy that our President will represent me at her funeral.

To finish, because I do have the height of respect for you as a poster. I withdraw my remarks re. you being hard arsed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't understand why the President will attend either.
    If this had been an unknown irish citizen murdered in a Dallas robbery or a citizen murdered in Finglas robbery, then she would'nt be going.
    Are some (non-office holder) citizens more important than others?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I don't understand why the President will attend either.
    If this had been an unknown irish citizen murdered in a Dallas robbery or a citizen murdered in Finglas robbery, then she would'nt be going.
    Are some (non-office holder) citizens more important than others?

Her ADC represented her office, and the people at the funeral of the young Anthony Campbell murdered in Finglas in 2006.

He was an ordinary inner city lad, an apprentice plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I've spoken to loads of people who've said they can't stop thinking about it. It's just tragic. God help her poor husband and family..how must they be feeling?

Your head would be going silly going over it in your head thinking that simple decision to have a few biscuits signed her death warrant and if her husband had gone up instead, what would've happened? If only she'd run out of the room or if only they'd went for another swim etc... :(

When I hear sad stories like that I wonder if life is mapped out for us. Many will say I'm talking crap but I wonder if that her time and she was just meant to go? That's the only way I could imagine beginning to come to terms with it. That she was only here on loan, that maybe she was a special spirit and God wanted her home:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Don't think it's got anything to do with being a celeb/daughter of well known manager etc, it's just a sad, tragic story tbh. I never even heard of her before all this happened fwiw.

But yeah, I can only imagine what's going through the husband's mind at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayhemnow

Ann22 wrote: »
    I've spoken to loads of people who've said they can't stop thinking about it. It's just tragic. God help her poor husband and family..how must they be feeling?

Your head would be going silly going over it in your head thinking that simple decision to have a few biscuits signed her death warrant and if her husband had gone up instead, what would've happened? If only she'd run out of the room or if only they'd went for another swim etc... :(

When I hear sad stories like that I wonder if life is mapped out for us. Many will say I'm talking crap but I wonder if that her time and she was just meant to go? That's the only way I could imagine beginning to come to terms with it. That she was only here on loan, that maybe she was a special spirit and God wanted her home:(.
    How could you possibly think that this was how her life was meant to end? A happy bride on her honeymoon , terrified in her last moments of life. This line of crap is what will no doubt be said to her husband and family over the next while. Wrong place, wrong time, tragically so. How could you believe this was a plan for someone's life, don't get it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement