Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheala Hartes murder, suspects caught

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

snubbleste wrote: »
    I don't understand why the President will attend either.
    If this had been an unknown irish citizen murdered in a Dallas robbery or a citizen murdered in Finglas robbery, then she would'nt be going.
    Are some (non-office holder) citizens more important than others?

Jesus Christ, some people will moan and complain about anything. Forget the fact that a family are going through a terrible tragedy at the moment.

Also, the President comes from Co. Down. The same county that Michaela's husband is from. Can you tell me with 100% percent confidence that none of the McAleese family know any of the McAreaveys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

mayhemnow wrote: »
    How could you possibly think that this was how her life was meant to end? A happy bride on her honeymoon , terrified in her last moments of life. This line of crap is what will no doubt be said to her husband and family over the next while. Wrong place, wrong time, tragically so. How could you believe this was a plan for someone's life, don't get it

I just said I wondered if it was so. Many believe that we all have a certain time here on earth. That no matter what you do, you're meant to die at a particular time. Of course it feels so wrong that such a lovely young woman should be taken from her family in such a cruel way:(.

It can be a small comfort to some to feel that maybe it's all out of our hands. A friend of mine lost her son in a tragic accident a few years ago. She nearly went out of her mind with grief and thoughts of how it could've been prevented. When he was only a wee tot she had a disturbing dream one night that someone told her he was an 'old soul'.........then some time later when he died, she thought back to the dream. The idea that maybe he was only here for a certain time gave her some comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

mstan wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, some people will moan and complain about anything. Forget the fact that a family are going through a terrible tragedy at the moment.

Also, the President comes from Co. Down. The same county that Michaela's husband is from. Can you tell me with 100% percent confidence that none of the McAleese family know any of the McAreaveys?

You are right there and I have no issue at all with the president attending. I would be more surprised if she did nor or at least send her aide de comp.

I am involved in the GAA in my county and so is my family, the hurling side mind you but overall no matter what area of the GAA you are involved in it is a family. Also thorugh this I know that the president does know the Harte family quiet well and would attend the funeral no matter what.

What I think is disgraceful though is the Irish Times calling her Ms Micheala Harte. That is so disreceptul & bad reporting. She was married to John McAreavey and took his name every other media outlet in Ireland, UK and beyond have reported it right but why the Irish Times feel the need to incorrectly report I do not know.

I do not buy the excuse I have heard from commentators that people would not know who she was otherwise, all they need to add is the daughter of Mickey Harte and everyone in Ireland knows who the poor girl was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dietgirl

Questions are being asked in the tourism hot spot about the unusual haste with which police have brought murder charges against three hotel staff in the Michaela Harte case
    TWO EMOTIONS outstripped others for Mauritians as the Michaela Harte tragedy developed on the tropical Indian Ocean island over the course of last week.
    When members of the public gave their opinion to The Irish Times about the events unfolding before them most displayed genuine sadness that a honeymooning couple from Ireland could have their futures destroyed in such a brutal way on their island home.
    As the week progressed, however, and the international media – predominantly from Ireland and England – arrived to cover the tragedy as it developed, their sorrow was in many cases overtaken by amazement.
    According to taxi driver Baboo Ramnath, most of the people he had talked to about the death as he went about his job had never seen the authorities move so fast to secure admissions of guilt from individuals charged with such a serious crime as murder.
    “People I have talked to were very shocked and saddened by what happened to the Irish couple holidaying with us. Mainly because something like this rarely happens to tourists here – at least I do not remember it happening before at such an exclusive hotel. But also because many people here rely on tourism for their livelihood. Now they are afraid that such a thing will scare tourists away.
    “Life here can be hard for many people, so tourism is very important. We are not the only island in the region known for tourism, and maybe foreigners will now choose the Seychelles over us.
    “We are glad to see that the police have been successful at their investigation, but murder cases often go on for years here. We wonder how the police can be so successful with this case when in many local cases they seem to have greater difficulty.”
    Michaela Harte, the daughter of Tyrone senior football manager Mickey Harte, was on honeymoon with her new husband, John McAreavey, at the exclusive Legends Hotel in Grand Gaube, a fishing village in the north of Mauritius, when she was strangled in her room.
    Room attendant Avinash Treebhoowoon (29) of Plaines des Roches, floor manager Sandip Mooneea (41) of Petit Raffray and cleaner Raj Theekoy (33) of the Cottages have all been charged in connection with her murder. The first two have had a provisional murder charge brought against them, the last a charge of conspiracy to murder. All three were arrested and charged within 48 hours Harte’s body being found. By Thursday morning the police said they had secured confessions from two of the three men.
    WHILE THE authorities’ all-action approach to the case appears impressive, one has to ask if the way they have gone about handling it weaken the prosecution’s case when it comes to the trial.
    The legal system in Mauritius is similar to that of its old colonial master, Britain. Some of the foreign journalists covering the story this week have expressed major reservations about how the authorities have dealt with the accused. Could the amount of evidence given to journalists covering the investigation prejudice the case and lead to claims of trial by media? Also, confusion surrounds which of the accused has allegedly admitted to what in relation to Harte’s death, as conflicting information has been circulated by lawyers for the accused as well as the police.
    In addition, a highly unusual statement was made by the Mauritian head of state, Sir Anerood Jugnanth, on Thursday night. When local press yesterday asked him to comment on the case he said: “Those who killed Michaela Harte do not deserve to live.”
    Journalists’ confusion over how the authorities are dealing with the case is shared by Ravi Rutnah, a barrister representing murder accused Avinash Treebhoowoon.
    Rutnah, who only recently returned to Mauritius to practise law after 13 years working as a barrister in England, said the method of inquiry used by the police to build their case against the three accused is archaic at best. “I have been taken aback . . . Until yesterday I did not know my client was going to confess, but that is what I have been told by journalists. I was surprised to hear my client had confessed in front of me, as this did not happen.”
    Rutnah went on to say that when he met his client in police custody he advised him to exercise his constitutional right to silence. The police found this unacceptable, he said. “For advising my client that he had a right to stay silent I was threatened by the police that I would be put in jail for obstructing the inquiry.”
    Rutnah also pointed out that during the initial court hearing he asked that an independent doctor examine his client, to look for evidence that he had been beaten and tortured while in police custody, a claim his client made. A police doctor was appointed to carry out the task, however, and he found that the accused had not been harmed. “I specially asked for an independent doctor, and even if I did not one should have been appointed. I feel that a lot of things happening with this case are not right. I am now considering whether to approach the government to try and get the system reformed.
    “I am going to take points of law [in relation to the procedures the police have followed] in this case at some point. But I have not made up my mind what strategies I will employ. I have to bear in mind that someone has lost their life, and justice needs to be done.”
    Looking at the value of the tourist industry to the Mauritian government, as well as the jobs it provides to local residents, it is not difficult to conclude that wrapping up this case quickly is of the utmost importance.
    ALONG WITH THE finance, sugar and textile sectors, tourism is one of the pillars of the Mauritian economy, which is recognised as one of the strongest in Africa.
    Despite the impact of the global downturn on western nations, visitor arrivals to Mauritius rose by 6.8 percent between January and November last year from a year earlier, buoyed by an increase in tourists from France and Germany. The ministry of tourism said in a statement at the end of last year that tourist numbers for the period were 819,978 – extremely high when one considers that the volcanic island has a population of just 1.3 million. “France and Germany were our main markets during this period. They progressed by 9.2 percent and 2.3 percent respectively,” the statement said.
    Revenue for 2010 from the tourism sector has been forecast at about 39 billion rupees (€965 million), up 9.3 percent on the 35.6 billion rupees generated in 2009, the central bank said.
    By Thursday evening the publicity had had an extremely negative effect on the price of shares in Naiade Resorts Ltd – the company that owns Legends hotel – on the local stock market, as they dropped 6.2 per cent.
    Has a need to protect the country’s tourism sector prompted the authorities to deviate from acceptable procedure in a bid to secure convictions quickly? Rutnah believes so. “It is my impression the police are acting under lots of pressure from international quarters. In addition, the prime minister’s office is in charge of the police. I feel a lot of sympathy with the family, but the government has not acted responsibly in this case. They have over-reacted.”
    Paper-thin paradises?

Fionn Davenport explains why many tourist idylls are not what they seem
    Mauritius prizes its tourism business, as was evident this week from the many statements from the authorities following Michaela Harte’s death and the swift response from its security forces. It is one of many relatively poor countries where tourism is a major local industry. In some countries tourism is the only local industry; this isn’t the case in Mauritius. In many tropical paradises there is a sharp contrast between the rich visitors and the poor workers and locals.
    Whether it’s the Caribbean, the Indian Ocean or anywhere else along the tropical belt, what lies beyond the wall of the tourist compound is very different from what lies within it. Inside the wall is perfection: gardens in bloom, golf courses the right shade of green, pool an idyllic 32 degrees.
    Beyond the perimeter fences and the phalanxes of security personnel that patrol them lies the developing world, with all its socio-economic ills: chronic poverty, unemployment, terrible sanitation and non-existent services. Enormous efforts are made to shield tourists from these realities.
    Mauritius is by no means the worst example. Holidaymakers to Dubai will never get a peek inside the compounds where most of the emirate’s imported labour force resides. Visitors to a top-end resort in the Maldives will see only the main international airport, in Malé, before being whisked off by motorboat or aquaplane to their hotel, which often occupies its own atoll. And so they’ll never suspect that many of the 80,000 foreign workers who live in the country, primarily as hotel employees and construction workers, are, according to a US state department report published in 2009, subjected to “fraudulent recruitment practices, confinement, confiscation of identity and travel documents, debt bondage, or general slave-like conditions”.
    This isn’t the case in Mauritius, but many hotels and resorts throughout the tropical belt use staff sourced by recruitment agencies, usually from countries even poorer than the ones they are moving to: Bangladesh, Burma, the Philippines, Haiti, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala.
    It is common for service-industry workers to work longer hours for less pay than they were originally promised, to be housed in substandard conditions and to incur debt bondage that they will struggle to clear. It is hardly surprising that petty theft, the most common spillover of these injustices, is a fact of everyday life in the tropical belt.
    Paradise devotes a lot of energy to ensuring the tourist never becomes aware of these realities: it’s a matter of economic survival. Local authorities go to great lengths to protect guests from life beyond the perimeter fence – hence the security presence and often a gentle-but- unequivocal suggestion to guests that they need not venture too far off the reservation unless it’s by organised tour. It might be paradise, but not for everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ann22 wrote: »
    That she was only here on loan, that maybe she was a special spirit and God wanted her home:(.

No offence Ann but this kind of religious claptrap is not at all helpful.
    If 'god wanted her home' as you say, don't you think he might have found a better way of going about it than having her strangled to death on her honeymoon?

Incidents like this, among countless others, only reinforce the point that there is no god, at least not one that cares much about us anyway. I believe Michaela and John McAreavey were quite religious themselves, and very clean-living people by all accounts, so this was their reward from God? No, this was the world going about its business like it always does, with no foresight, no rhyme, no reason. Just blind uncaring indifference.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    If 'god wanted her home' as you say, don't you think he might have found a better way of going about it than having her strangled to death on her honeymoon?

QUOTE]

Good point Aiden. It's hard to know what to be saying in a situation like this. It's just an awful tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

Incidents like this, among countless others, only reinforce the point that there is no god, at least not one that cares much about us anyway. I believe Michaela and John McAreavey were quite religious themselves, and very clean-living people by all accounts, so this was their reward from God? No, this was the world going about its business like it always does, with no foresight, no rhyme, no reason. Just blind uncaring indifference.

Well Im sure from the family's point of view, its the "claptrap" rubbish that you post which is not helpful at all. Their fate is probably one of the few things helping the Harte/McAreavey families through such a dark time. I just hope none of them are Boards members. Because the amount of nonsense posted in this thread so far is crazy and I just hope grieving relatives dont see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

juma wrote: »
    Well Im sure from the family's point of view, its the "claptrap" rubbish that you post which is not helpful at all. Their fate is probably one of the few things helping the Harte/McAreavey families through such a dark time. I just hope none of them are Boards members. Because the amount of nonsense posted in this thread so far is crazy and I just hope grieving relatives dont see it.

The only "nonsense" being posted here is the notion that god wanted her home and thought the best method of doing this was having her strangled to death at age 27.

macquarie wrote: »
    The only "nonsense" being posted here is the notion that god wanted her home and thought the best method of doing this was having her strangled to death at age 27.

Well I never said God wanted her home. But death is a part of life. Something we all have to deal with. And when it happens in such tragic circumstances religion can be one of the few comforts for a family.

• Advertisement

say what you like. All I've said is the truth of the matter.

And yes I'm aware that the Harte and McAreavey families are of strong religious faith, and that if that's a source of some help and comfort to them then great. They need all the help they can get. We're getting into a whole other issue now though which is not for this thread, so let's say no more on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Well I never said God wanted her home. But death is a part of life. Something we all have to deal with. And when it happens in such tragic circumstances religion can be one of the few comforts for a family.

Fair enough, I believe religion actually does a lot more damage to society as a whole though. Those type of people are afraid to confront evil and even deny that it exists sometimes, which in turn leads to retarded jail sentences for serious crimes. If they knew their daughter's life was completely finished forever, and she wasn't now a spirit in some conceptual "heaven" - they (her family, the law-makers, police, judges and solicitors) would be a lot angrier (and rightly so) at the perpetrators and less likely to ever forgive them (rightly so again).

Fair enough, I believe religion actually does a lot more damage to society as a whole though. Those type of people are afraid to confront evil and even deny that it exists sometimes, which in turn leads to retarded jail sentences for serious crimes. If they knew their daughter's life was completely finished forever, and she wasn't now a spirit in some conceptual "heaven" - they (her family, the law-makers, police, judges and solicitors) would be a lot angrier (and rightly so) at the perpetrators and less likely to ever forgive them (rightly so again).[/QUOTE]

I really hope for their sakes that isn't the case. I don't want to argue with a whole bunch of people about whether there is a God or not.. Whether other posters believe or not is up to them personally...I just hope the family can believe that they will see Michaela again and that they get strength from somewhere to deal with their loss. My thoughts and prayers are with them. RIP Michaela.

Fair enough, I believe religion actually does a lot more damage to society as a whole though. Those type of people are afraid to confront evil and even deny that it exists sometimes, which in turn leads to retarded jail sentences for serious crimes. If they knew their daughter's life was completely finished forever, and she wasn't now a spirit in some conceptual "heaven" - they (her family, the law-makers, police, judges and solicitors) would be a lot angrier (and rightly so) at the perpetrators and less likely to ever forgive them (rightly so again).

Comments like this is exactly why I hope none of the Harte family see this thread.

Why cant the Mods do the decent and respectful thing and just lock this thread; for the sake of Michaela's family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Comments like this is exactly why I hope none of the Harte family see this thread.

Why cant the Mods do the decent and respectful thing and just lock this thread; for the sake of Michaela's family and friends.
    Because there's nothing within the forum charter that says these kind of threads are unacceptable?

I lost my faith long ago and it hasn't made bereavement any less bearable. If anything the finality makes moving on easier. Try to understand that not everyone thinks like you.

The stuff that appears in 90% of threads here is going to upset some people, somewhere. If we stifled any and all discourse that could be construed as offensive to avoid stepping on peoples' toes we'd have ourselves a very quiet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 philcoroner

really sad, im literally just home from my honeymoon in mauritius, we were over there when it happened. needless to say it sent a ripple of paranoia when we heard she was murdered, and even more so when we heard it was hotel employees. and also that she was irish like ourselves. i woke up most nights after that with nightmares of it happening to my wife. it wasnt in our hotel, but the nearest one to us. we went on a trip a few days after the incident, and our coach was picking some people up from the hotel in question. the place was understandably swarming with heavy security, but the thing that annoyed me was the amount of papparazzi there. i can only imagine the sheer agony her husband must have felt over there on his own after the incident, and the thoughts of bringing his wife's body home must have been the worst thing imaginable, but to do it with the media and dozens of cameras in your face is just sickening. there's just no dignity anymore.
    unfortunately, this incident will all but destroy mauritius' reputation as a safe place, which it most certainly is. this was an absolute one off incident, with everyone telling us the worst you can expect is an occasional pick pocket. other than tourism, it doesnt have much. these mindless people not only destroyed a beautiful family, but may also inadvertently destroy their own country. they should be locked away forever. such a heartbreaking story, and my heart goes out to the families of those involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I've said it recently, and I'll say it again: the North is the most positive thing about Ireland these days. The very fact of Martin McGuinness/Sinn Féin and Ian Paisley/the DUP sharing power is consistently impressive, surprising and, in the truest meaning of the word, awesome. I was thinking of how much things have changed for the good in the North when I read the following on the RTÉ website:

'.... Four of the most prominent members of the DUP, including party leader, Peter Robinson, went to the Harte home to pay their respects.
    The others present were Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster, Culture Minister Nelson Mc Causland, and the party chairman Maurice Morrow, who is a Co Tyrone Assembly member.
    They went to the wake house in the company of Sinn Féin's Martin Mc Guinness, Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister.
    They spent more than half an hour paying their respects to the bereaved families....' (Michaela McAreavey wake takes place)

Things do change, and the North has changed. We are all living in historic times in the history of Ireland. I remember all of the above DUP members at various stages of their careers, and they had little kindness in their public statements and political positions regarding the nationalist community. I've nothing but respect for all of the above for the decency they've shown towards Michaela's family. This was an honourable thing to do, and through more than a single DUP representative coming it went far beyond tokenism. Utmost respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well said Dionysus.

It's a heartbreaking tragedy, and my heart goes out to her husband and family.
    No matter what your religious or political beliefs are, the fact remains that this is absolutely tragic, and they deserve all the help and sympathy people can give them. Her poor husband is probably living with terrible guilt, even though he couldn't have done anything. Their hardest days lie ahead.My thoughts are with them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Apparently there's a whole lot more to this story and all of it pretty grim. Expect the tabloids to be having a field day during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Change OisinT's name to Columbo imo.
    He's a great guy. My favorite mod too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mauritius Prime Minister backs the reintroduction of the death penalty since the murder.

http://www.newsnow.mu/NewsView.asp?NID=13548

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mauritius Prime Minister backs the reintroduction of the death penalty since the murder.

http://www.newsnow.mu/NewsView.asp?NID=13548
    Interesting development, but I can't help but feel sceptical that these are anything but publicity stunts and ploys to ensure there is no major drain in the tourism income. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Trust Sky News to be pouring the funeral pics all over the place.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well if you're watching/checking their site then that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

He's a great guy. My favorite mod too.

pass the sick bucket :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It's helpful to a lot of people, always has been. It might mean nothing to you but is there a need for you to tell other people how to cope/grieve/attempt to understand something like this?

Trust Sky News to be pouring the funeral pics all over the place.:mad:
    Heard this morning that the family specifically requested that no funeral pics were made public?

That's pretty low of Sky News if that's the case!

RTE have them too fwiw.

Renn wrote: »
    Well if you're watching/checking their site then that's why.

Actually, it came up in my Google News.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Gucky wrote: »
    He reckoned it was a murder immediately when the news broke.

Hardly the revelation of the century. She was young, in good physical condition and on her honeymoon. It's a long shot to expect it to be natural causes or suicide, leaving only foul play as the cause of death.

Hardly the revelation of the century. She was young, in good physical condition and on her honeymoon. It's a long shot to expect it to be natural causes or suicide, leaving only foul play as the cause of death.
    Wouldn't say a "long shot" really. Could have been any underlying condition physically or mentally that the public (or perhaps even herself) was not aware of.

I can smell murder from a mile away. :o

• Advertisement

how does the president decide which funeral's she will attend ? How high a profile do you have to have to merit her attendance.

Should everyone be treated the same or if this was not so tragic and a murder would she have attended at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,200 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hondasam wrote: »
    how does the president decide which funeral's she will attend ? How high a profile do you have to have to merit her attendance.

Should everyone be treated the same or if this was not so tragic and a murder would she have attended at all.
    she knows them

Yeah usually I would have said that she shouldn't have gone, but I think there are some family connections there.

OisinT wrote: »
    Yeah usually I would have said that she shouldn't have gone, but I think there are some family connections there.

She did attend as President of Ireland. Who knows there is a family connecton.

she knows them

says who ?

Where are you even going with this hondasam?

Renn wrote: »
    Where are you even going with this hondasam?

simple why attend certain funerals, what makes one person or family more important than others.

who decides which funeral she attends ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

says who ?

She comes from a few miles from where the McAreavys live in co Down. She would also know the Harte's through the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

says who ?

I shouldn't be bothering to comment on this, but I figure that the president would have had many an occasion to be in the company of the Harte family, All Ireland football final day three times, being one example

• Advertisement

I shouldn't be bothering to comment on this, but I figure that the president would have had many an occasion to be in the company of the Harte family, All Ireland football final day three times, being one example

You're quite right, she would have met the Harte family on a number of occasions, so people are being disingenuous to question her attendance.

There are plenty of reasons to find fault with Mary McAleese, this isn't one of them.

In general I don't know how she decides wat funerals to attend. It's a tricky one because when she attends (like today) people will question why. and when she doesn't they will also question why. So short of attending every funeral up and down the country she can't win really.

You're quite right, she would have met the Harte family on a number of occasions, so people are being disingenuous to question her attendance.

There are plenty of reasons to find fault with Mary McAleese, this isn't one of them.

In general I don't know how she decides wat funerals to attend. It's a tricky one because when she attends (like today) people will question why. and when she doesn't they will also question why. So short of attending every funeral up and down the country she can't win really.

maby the best thing for her is not to attend any funeral's as President.

she could attend in private and not in an official capacity.

Even if she didn't personally know the family, she may well have attended anyway as Michaela's shocking death has affected almost the whole nation. As head of state, she's representing the country.

maby the best thing for her is not to attend any funeral's as President.

she could attend in private and not in an official capacity.
    Do you know what the president of Ireland actually does?

Im sure you are going to enlighten me.

SFA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Sympathy for the family etc. but does anybody else think that this tragedy has been blown up a little too much? The way some people are talking you would think she ought to be beatified..

Comments like "the whole nation has been affected" etc. are a bit OTT. I read what happened in the paper on Tuesday, I was shocked, a terrible waste of life...RIP. TBH it hasn't affected me that badly since. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who have plenty of their own problems in their life and who have been totally unaffected by what has happened.

Is it really necessary for every media outlet to continue the story, analysing every single aspect of this poor girl's life and death? 27 pages of a thread on boards of bullshi.t debate on whether the President should have attended or not?

Fu.ck that..

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Sympathy for the family etc. but does anybody else think that this tragedy has been blown up a little too much? The way some people are talking you would think she ought to be beatified..

Comments like "the whole nation has been affected" etc. are a bit OTT. I read what happened in the paper on Tuesday, I was shocked, a terrible waste of life...RIP. TBH it hasn't affected me that badly since. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who have plenty of their own problems in their life and who have been totally unaffected by what has happened.

Is it really necessary for every media outlet to continue the story, analysing every single aspect of this poor girl's life and death? 27 pages of a thread on boards of bullshi.t debate on whether the President should have attended or not?

Fu.ck that..
    Point 1....it's not her fault the papers are using her to sell more copies
    Point 2.... her death has genuinely affected a lot of people, i've seen it first hand...absolute devestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

She does what she's told.

She doesn't set protocols in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Point 2.... her death has genuinely affected a lot of people, i've seen it first hand...absolute devestation.

1) Did I ever say it was her fault? No.

2) Her death has affected many people. That's true...her family, those involved in GAA, her students etc. but the vast majority of the population, while being shocked at the tragedy and being constantly reminded of it, will get on with their lives pretty quickly.

To say that "the whole nation has been affected" is simply not true.

The family could have asked for a private service it the wished and for the media to stay away.

every family is devastated by the death of someone the love.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement