Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting new apartment, should agency provide Pots, Pans Cutlery etc.?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I have recently agreed to move into a brand new apartment which has never been lived in before.
    The apartment is fully furnished i.e. Beds, Sofa's, table, etc. It also has the basic kitchen appliances microwave, fridge, cooker, toaster, kettle etc.
    I have asked them(agency) will they supply pots, pans & cutlery and they have said no.
    Should I insist that they supply these items? Do I have any rights to these items? especially as it is a brand new apartment I will be renting.
    I have not signed the lease yet.

any advice here would be great!:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I recommend you just go and buy your own.

I don't see any obligation on them to provide you with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 shonty

I have already bought some of the stuff, but am just wondering should I push them harder to see if they give in?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I don't think I have ever lived in a flat which has come with pots or pans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Most rented placed I lived in didn't supply any of those and in the few places that did I usually packed them away and used my own.

€100 in Ikea and you'll have yourself kitted out with enough of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

shonty wrote: »
    I have already bought some of the stuff, but am just wondering should I push them harder to see if they give in?..

Go for it.
    Maybe have a shot at some new clothes too. Push them real hard.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

some places I've rented supplied everything, some don't. My current place had nothing so I just got the starter box in ikea for plates cups and cutlery. Just add a few pots/pans and you are sorted.
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20134268

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You are better off. I've lived in places that had some pots and pans, they were always horrible and badly worn. You end up getting your own and just having to find somewhere to store them which is a pain in the hole.

Go for it.
    Maybe have a shot at some new clothes too. Push them real hard.:rolleyes:

haha maybe tell them i have no transport too, I need a new car!

thanks everyone for your response.
    I think a trip to IKEA is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

From my experience, you might get some plates, cups etc supplied, but if pots are supplied it's generally a mish-mash of stuff that has been left over from previous tenants and not great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Aside from whether its better to have your own stuff or not (i think it is!)

The agency / landlord are not obliged to provide such items. The term 'fully furnished' is quite loose in this country there is no minimum requirements.

The general idea is that you get what you see when you view the apartment and what is on the contents list. Many rentals dont even provide a tv. Therefore you cant 'insist' they provide pots pans for you. If you buy yourself some good quality stuff it will last you and you'll have the benefit of cooking with decent gear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bought htem all fo rmy tenant new but she had only recently moved to Ireland and I knew she had none of her stuff over yet.
    100 euro in Ikea goes really far.

Thanks everyone,

I pushed the agency but they wouldn't give in so I went to Ikea and got a great deal like a lot of people had said.

I have one more question.. I am signing the lease tomorrow, can anyone give me some advice on what to look out for etc? I have never signed a lease before.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Hard to give advise not knowing what is in the lease. Are there any clauses you are specifically wary of

It is my first time renting so i am new to this sorry.. all i know is its a one year lease.. i asked today could i get a shorter lease because the company has gone into receivership..and they said no.. i also asked could i get a break clause..so that i would get my deposit back if something went wrong..they also said no to that..any advice at all would be great..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

shonty wrote: »
    I have one more question.. I am signing the lease tomorrow, can anyone give me some advice on what to look out for etc? I have never signed a lease before.

Thanks in advance

Make sure you do one last tour of the property with the agent and take a note of anything that is broken, or that might be about break due to being worn down.

I have always found it sufficient in this regard to simply list any issues at the bottom of the lease in hand (no need formally to integrate it into the main body of the lease) before you both sign. Initial the list of defects too. I have no idea whether this would be legally binding, but it certainly gives you a massive, massive advantage if there's any dispute over damage at the end of the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Make sure you do one last tour of the property with the agent and take a note of anything that is broken, or that might be about break due to being worn down.

I have always found it sufficient in this regard to simply list any issues at the bottom of the lease in hand (no need formally to integrate it into the main body of the lease) before you both sign. Initial the list of defects too. I have no idea whether this would be legally binding, but it certainly gives you a massive, massive advantage if there's any dispute over damage at the end of the lease.

I'd take photos of the flat before you move in too. Send a copy to the landlord.

Advertisement