Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Germany when pregnant/with a baby.

• 12-01-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

So Mr Cat and myself are thinking about moving back to Berlin. We were there from 2000 for five years and would really like to give it a bash for another three years or so. Thing is, we now have Cat Jr (17 months old) and are planning another. Berlin for three/four is a very different place to Berlin for two. Does anyone have any experience of living there or anywhere else in Germany with a young child in tow? Have any boardsies been through the maternity services in Germany? Jobs would be on a freelance basis so we'd have to set up our own health insurance etc. Does anyone know if you have to be covered for a minimum period before you can access maternity services (like is the case in Ire?). We're okay with most of the other admin stuff - pensions, renting, registering, tax etc - but is there anything massive we should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

So Mr Cat and myself are thinking about moving back to Berlin. We were there from 2000 for five years and would really like to give it a bash for another three years or so. Thing is, we now have Cat Jr (17 months old) and are planning another. Berlin for three/four is a very different place to Berlin for two. Does anyone have any experience of living there or anywhere else in Germany with a young child in tow? Have any boardsies been through the maternity services in Germany? Jobs would be on a freelance basis so we'd have to set up our own health insurance etc. Does anyone know if you have to be covered for a minimum period before you can access maternity services (like is the case in Ire?). We're okay with most of the other admin stuff - pensions, renting, registering, tax etc - but is there anything massive we should consider?

Hi, I am German and moved from Germany to Ireland in 2002.
    Germany has a very good health system and the maternity service is excellent! The moment you arrive in Germany go to the Arbeitsamt in your city/town and ask for advice. They are very professional and can help you with anything you are looking for. Living in Germany is still cheap compared to Ireland and you get health care for your kid and newborn for nothing!
    If you are freelance, than consider joining a private health care which cost about 150 Euro a month. If you want to get it cheaper, than only one of you should work and the other one stay at home (and seek work). So in this case this would be you and you could benefit from the free health care. Just weigh all your options before you decide what to do!
    Good luck and all the best!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

connewitz wrote: »
    If you are freelance, than consider joining a private health care which cost about 150 Euro a month. If you want to get it cheaper, than only one of you should work and the other one stay at home (and seek work). So in this case this would be you and you could benefit from the free health care. Just weigh all your options before you decide what to do!
    Good luck and all the best!:D

Mr Cat would be on a freelance contract and I would be taking care of the kids/studying for at least the first year. From the last time we were in Germany I understand that private heath insurance has been obligatory for freelancers since 2007 - we would not be eligible for the public insurance - and that the best option for the best coverage is for us to get a private family policy. My main question is, do private insurance policies require you to have been a member for a minimum length of time before they cover certain conditions (such as pregnancy)? This is the case in Ireland (you have to be a VHI member for 12 months before you can claim any pregnancy-related costs). Should we stall moving until we've finished having babies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Bei Neugeborenen beginnt der Versicherungsschutz ohne Risikozuschläge
    und ohne Wartezeiten ab Vollendung der Geburt,
    wenn am Tage der Geburt ein Elternteil mindestens drei Monate
    beim Versicherer versichert ist und die Anmeldung zur Versicherung
    spätestens zwei Monate nach dem Tage der Geburt
    rückwirkend erfolgt
    . Der Versicherungsschutz darf nicht höher
    oder umfassender als der eines versicherten Elternteils sein.
    Die allgemeine Wartezeit beträgt drei Monate.
    Sie entfällt
    a) bei Unfällen;
    b) für den Ehegatten oder Lebenspartner einer mindestens
    seit drei Monaten versicherten Person, sofern eine gleichartige
    Versicherung innerhalb zweier Monate nach der
    Eheschließung bzw. Eintragung der Lebenspartnerschaft
    beantragt wird.
    (3) Die besonderen Wartezeiten betragen für Entbindung, Psychotherapie,
    Zahnbehandlung, Zahnersatz und Kieferorthopädie
    acht Monate.

http://www.pkv.de/recht/musterbedingungen/
    http://www.pkv.de/recht/allgemeine_versicherungsbedingungen_2009/allgemeine-versicherungsbedingungen-standardtarif-mb-st-2009-pdf.pdf

I assume you speak a little German and can read the above.

In general it says that your baby is insured from birth if you are at least insured for 3 months.
    For the birth as such (and I think it's the whole maternity thing) you have to be insured at least 8 months. I understand that it means you have to get your insurance in the early weeks of pregnancy. But I'm no expert.

Private health insurances though have each different rules.

Best thing is you check with the insurance companies. Explain your situation and ask.
    Here's a list of all private health insurers:
    http://www.krankenkassentarife.de/baseportal/pkvliste

Or check here:
    http://www.pkv-private-krankenversicherung.net/
    http://www.1a-krankenversicherung.de/private-krankenversicherung

Edit: I have experience with HUK Coburg, which have a good reputation are are quite affordable, and DEVK, same good reputation. My experience though didn't involve babies. But try these first.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Mr Cat would be on a freelance contract and I would be taking care of the kids/studying for at least the first year. From the last time we were in Germany I understand that private heath insurance has been obligatory for freelancers since 2007 - we would not be eligible for the public insurance - and that the best option for the best coverage is for us to get a private family policy. My main question is, do private insurance policies require you to have been a member for a minimum length of time before they cover certain conditions (such as pregnancy)? This is the case in Ireland (you have to be a VHI member for 12 months before you can claim any pregnancy-related costs). Should we stall moving until we've finished having babies?

Dear Cat, I think Carry gave you a good bit of information there. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

I also suggest you ask the very same question on the Berlin boards of Toytown Germany. You are sure to get information from the horses' mares' mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Cat Melodeon is probably busy with making another baby...:D

Good on her.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

When you move to germany or an EU country, you can transfer your PRSI so that you are covered as if your were always there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Thanks guys! Great info Carry, and yes, we've been getting busy!

All things considered, I think I'd be more comfortable hanging on here until after we make and deliver the next baby - I had such a good experience in the public system here that I'm loathe to rock the boat. I've since managed to get back in contact with a friend of mine in Berlin who has had 2 babies over there since I left, her experiences weren't negative but still made me think I'd rather stay here and once we're all cooked, head over then. My German is grand to an extent (although woefully rusty at the moment) but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing the whole clinic-hospital-doctors thing through German, I suffer badly enough from white coat syndrome at the best of times.

Thanks again. I'll repost if we change our minds!

Advertisement