Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killaloe Wedding

• 12-01-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone had any wedding experiences in the Killaloe Lakeside Hotel, good or bad

Thanks
    JB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering if anyone had any wedding experiences in the Killaloe Lakeside Hotel, good or bad

Thanks
    JB
    The Lakeside is a lovely hotel, I have eaten in there on a number of occasions recently and it has been very good but it has been a few years since I attended a wedding there. It does seem to have become very popular for weddings again in the last two years. It is a great location for photographs - nice garden and of course the lake! There is also a beautiful spot called the "Look Out" which is fabulous for photographs, it a couple of miles out the Portroe Road (outside Ballina, Co. Tipperary). If you haven't been there before it is well worth a drive out, the views are just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭regularkev

Had our wedding reception there back in 2005. Nothing but good things to say about the hotel and the location. They were very accommodating when it came to menu selection and they even ordered in wine that was not on their regular winelist and didn't gouge us on the price. We ended up paying about €50 per guest for the meal,wine and toast.

Agree with the last poster that the grounds are lovely for photographs and we also had pics taken up at the lake (near the UL Activity centre on the Scariff Road) which is only about 5-10 minutes by car.

We did have to book a fair bit in advance to get the day we wanted, but I guess that is the case everywhere you go.

I think we had the bulk of the rooms booked out, but there is the other hotel across the river and lots of B&Bs in the vacinity for guests to stay in.

All in all, would recommend Killaloe and the Lakeside as a venue!

The Castleoaks in Castleconnell is a beautiful hotel too, very popular may be hard to get the date you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Killaloe? Clare people taking over the place!
    The Lakeside is in Ballina, on the right side of the Shannon :cool:

It's a fine hotel and an excellent choice

OP, you must take your wedding photos at "the lookout"
    I don't know how to save google maps links but give maybe give it a go, just up the road about 1.5 km before Castletown on the Portroe Rd. R494.

The place is famous

Your dead right - Ballina is in Tipperary but for marketing purposes the hotel use Killaloe, Co. Clare address. It's amazing the number of people living in Ballina who claim to be from Killaloe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Thanks for all the replies,
    Will look at Ballyconnell!
    What about the bunratty Castle Hotel, any reviews?

Thanks Again
    JB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got married in Bunratty a couple of years back, I couldn't recommend it highly enough, from the rooms, to service, to the food, to the help, to everything, I'd be struggling to find a fault to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I was at a lot of weddings / functions in teh Lakeside there over the years and had grown a bit sick of the place But in the last few years they have really upped their game 200%.

Couldn't reccomend them Lakeside highly enough now. Apart from the beautiful setting etc. they are running a brilliant hotel over there. We held a party there last year for about 60 people and from the first minute I rang them they were nothing short of brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... The Lakeside is in Ballina, on the right side of the Shannon cool.gif
    +1, Up Tipp!
    MrsD007 wrote: »
    ... It's amazing the number of people living in Ballina who claim to be from Killaloe!
    You are absolutely correct. These are people "living in" Ballina though, as distinct from those who are "from" Ballina. biggrin.gif

I would recommend the Lakeside; we've had a few family "do's" there over the years, including two weddings.

Views around Killarney can't hold a candle to the views from the "Lookout".
    The Castleoaks in Castleconnell is a beautiful hotel too, ...
    BTW, Castleconnell used to be in Tipperary too, until they gerrymandered the boundaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

Your dead right - Ballina is in Tipperary but for marketing purposes the hotel use Killaloe, Co. Clare address. It's amazing the number of people living in Ballina who claim to be from Killaloe!

It's not necessarily for 'marketing' purposes, there is only one post office in Killaloe/Ballina and it's in Killaloe on the Clare side of the bridge.

To get post in Ballina you need to write Ballina, Killaloe as your address as letters for some odd reason can end up in Mayo...

All the best,

• Advertisement

murphman wrote: »
    It's not necessarily for 'marketing' purposes, there is only one post office in Killaloe/Ballina and it's in Killaloe on the Clare side of the bridge.

To get post in Ballina you need to write Ballina, Killaloe as your address as letters for some odd reason can end up in Mayo...

All the best,
    The Lakeside Hotel has always been marketed as a "Clare" hotel in holiday brochures and websites even though the hotel is on the Tipperary side of the Shannon.

Most of the building that has occurred in the Killaloe/Ballina area over the last ten years has been on the Ballina side. There are many young couples who were born in Killaloe but have had to buy or build in Ballina, these are generally the people that use the Ballina/Killaloe Co. Clare address even though they are living in Tipperary. However, those that have been born and bred in Ballina tend to use the Ballina, Co. Tipperary address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

You might find some people who live in Ballina refer to it as Killaloe but you will never find a person who is from Balliina (born and raised) do the same. UP TIPP!!!

And the Lakeside Hotel is not bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

my brothers just back from a wedding in bunratty, he said it was lovely, food really good etc.. i think the lakeside would be lovely, nice views and cute town for your guests to enjoy... good luck with it all;)

Advertisement