Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switched to UPC from Sky

• 12-01-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently switched from Sky to UPC and was wondering if the Sky box is of any use anymore. It is a sky + box.

Reason I ask is that my sister has Sky (but not a plus box) and was going to give it to her to use kind of like an upgrade. Will all Sky + functions be available to her if I give it to her.

On the other hand if I listed it on adverts would it be of any use to anybody?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Your sister will need to run a second cable to the box,if she hasn't got a quad lnb they can be picked up fairly cheap.The box will work with a single cable but she can only record what she watches.
    All she has to do is install the box and ring Sky with the boxes serial number and her viewing card number to pair them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't need a second cable on a Sky+ or SkyHD box out of subscription. There is a menu setting I think. The second cable is only for recording different to what you watch and a Sky box doesn't record without a subscription.

If she has a subscription sky will swap the existing card to new box with a phone call. You need new box connected before phoning sky. They will ask for box serial number on setup screen. AFAIK without the phone call to match card none of the Sky+ features will work.

Even with one cable and subscription, it will record, just not as flexible.

watty wrote: »
    You don't need a second cable on a Sky+ or SkyHD box out of subscription. There is a menu setting I think. The second cable is only for recording different to what you watch and a Sky box doesn't record without a subscription.

If she has a subscription sky will swap the existing card to new box with a phone call. You need new box connected before phoning sky. They will ask for box serial number on setup screen. AFAIK without the phone call to match card none of the Sky+ features will work.

Even with one cable and subscription, it will record, just not as flexible.

She has Sky-you're slipping Watty:) Read the 1st two posts.You're right about the recording feature not working unless you pair the card with the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Hi crazybaldhead - I'm thinking of taking the bold step of moving from Sky to UPC. Can I ask if you’re happy with the move and if there is anything you miss Sky provided. Did Sky try to keep you?

Thanks.

zerks wrote: »
    She has Sky-you're slipping Watty:) Read the 1st two posts.You're right about the recording feature not working unless you pair the card with the box.

Yes, but my main point was you don't absolutely need a 2nd cable. Certainly to get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Hi crazybaldhead - I'm thinking of taking the bold step of moving from Sky to UPC. Can I ask if you’re happy with the move and if there is anything you miss Sky provided. Did Sky try to keep you?

Thanks.

Why would sky help?

On your first query, Ive found that the UPC boxes are slower and menu guide is not as fast and friendly as Skys. Personal opinion obviously.

And also I dispise the giant remote it was made for humans with ridiculous size hands. You have to slide it up and down to change buttons. The Sky remote can not be beaten in that respect.

Other than that, channels are fairly spot on minus the Sky Sports HD, But their broadband cannot be beaten so as a package overall UPC win but the hardware itself is terrible.

bcirl03 wrote: »

Thanks.

UPC are losing customers for it's TV service-it can't compete technology wise,channel amounts,HD content and picture quality,not to mention interactive services.If you are into documentary channels the UPC offering is 25% of what Sky offer.If it's triple play with UPC you're after,keep Sky and get UPC for phone and broadband.No dearer and may be cheaper depending on what packs you have.UPC have also increased prices as of last week.

UPC is great for Broadband. You can get the broadband without the TV.

But payTV is already nearly 50% more than anywhere else because people don't reaslise what free satellite TV there is. http://www.saortv.info/channels/uk-televison/

Unless you want Sky Sport, seriously consider saving money, using that to buy DVD box sets cheap and using Sky Box as a sort of Freesat Box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

watty wrote: »
    Yes, but my main point was you don't absolutely need a 2nd cable. Certainly to get started.

The menu option is only present on the SkyHD boxes as far as I can tell (at least I couldn't find it on the setup screen or the installers menu). For regular Sky boxes you can plug in a single cable, but if you ever end up recording something that you're not watching or otherwise end up needing the second input, you'll just get a "No satellite signal is being received" error message.

As such, I'd definitely recommend getting a second cable into the box asap.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

Thanks to one and all for the replies.

I have had no issues whatsoever with the switch. The problem wasnt Sky for me though, it was Eircom. But as said above the package that UPC offer is too good not to take.

As for the remote, agreed that it is HUGE but still ok and the menus are slower than Sky, but still user friendly.

Sky did offer me a sweetner to stay with them but as I said it wasnt them that was the problem so didnt take it. Did get a call from Sky the other day asking would I be interested in a broadband package if they introduced it into Ireland, so they obviously are losing a lot to UPC

Advertisement