Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COOLING OFF PERIOD

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if you have a cooling off period with eircom. A friend signed up with eircom a week ago, she thought she had'nt agreed to a contract but when she rang yesterday she was told she had. She asked about cooling off period and was told there was none, if anyone can tell me if this is right I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

According to these nice people you have 7 days if the service was ordered online.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Thanks for that Mr Presentable I just checked the National Consumer Agency site and according to it.. Distance selling, ie onliine and phone sale, by law must include a cooling off period usually up to 7 days.. so I'll pass it on and see how she gets on..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why did your friend think she hadn't agreed to a contract? Did she sign anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When you used to sign over the phone on 1901, they would send out a contract within 7 days for you to sign and an account no so you could pay the connection fee.

Not sure what happens when you sign up on internet but I presume you tick a box for terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ask them for a copy of the contract she "agreed to"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There may not be any written contract, and you can legally "sign" up to a service over the phone, and they don't need you to physically sign anything. If it is a verbal contract, then they should have a recording of the order.

In any event, the distance selling cooling off period will definitely apply to this, and it allows you 7 days to change your mind, from the date the service is activated (not the date of order).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

jor el wrote: »
    There may not be any written contract, and you can legally "sign" up to a service over the phone, and they don't need you to physically sign anything. If it is a verbal contract, then they should have a recording of the order.

In any event, the distance selling cooling off period will definitely apply to this, and it allows you 7 days to change your mind, from the date the service is activated (not the date of order).

Never said written. If it was a verbal contract, I believe they HAVE to have a recorded phone call with the audio.

Advertisement