Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1848 Tri-colour festrival, Waterford

• 12-01-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Interesting new festival being organised to celebrate TF Meagher & the 1st flying of the Irish tri-colour,.

well done to all involved in getting this up & running!

www.1848tricolour.com

5th - 6th March.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Im very happy about this festival. Its about time TF Meagher exploits were celebrated instead of hidden away like out other local heroes (see John Condon boy soldier, Walton, Boyle etc). The flag in Ireland has been largely ignored, unlike other countries, you rarely see it flying anywhere except outside the courthouse and superquinn. Its about time we reclaimed it for its worth and started having some pride in this country. I would like to see lil tricolours on cars etc for the week concerned, tie-ins with Montana where TF Meagher was Governor, France - where the flag came from, TF Meaghers fightin Irish Brigade etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Fair play to Wellboy (UpTheDeise.com) - he has been trying for years to get the flag celebrated like this. Delighted to see he finally succeeeded.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A great event that deserves wide spread promotion. Its part of our hidden history IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There's only one man that deserves credit for this and hopefully no organisation or media outlet will try to claim the event as their own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

About time somebody in Waterford got their act together to promote this, honestly could never understand why Waterford never did anything around this...seemed just a lack of interest in anything to draw in tourists other then the glass factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Exactly, well done Cian on driving this event. Hopefully it´ll expand in the years to come & bring in some involvement from Tasmania, Montana & the US army.

The life on TF Meagher would make a serious film .... but it´d be hard for people to believe one man did all that he did.

btw ... does anybody know if the hook & crooks maritime festival is happening again this year?

www.hooksandcrookes.com but only mentions The Tall Ships Festival, nothing about their own festival on there.

Hopefully the event won´t be hi-jacked by any "Republican" groups as they tried to do to the flag in general!
    Remember that the white symbolises reconciliation & peace with Protestant Irish people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Delighted this is being done. I always wondered why such a hugely historical event wasn't celebrated and commemorated more in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

comeraghs wrote: »
    Hopefully the event won´t be hi-jacked by any "Republican" groups as they tried to do to the flag in general!
    Remember that the white symbolises reconciliation & peace with Protestant Irish people!

Ah yeah ya'd much prefer seein the Unionist groups complainen about it, pissen on it and burnin it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ironballsmcgee

hi,new to boards, long time lurker first time poster. Sorry my first post has to be a mini rant but has anybody noticed that every day the flags outside the crystal showrooms are being flown in the wrong order, they always have the irish tricolour flying on the left of the three flagpoles with european union flag in the centre and the united states flag on the right. I learned in third class that the national flag should be always in either the centre, closest to the centre or the highest flagpole in that order. I know its a bit petty but do you think an american would allow that to happen in america...i doubt it. Even on the tricolour celebration website theres a picture of the front of the showrroms and you can see the flags in the wrong order...i hope they can get it right in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

hi,new to boards, long time lurker first time poster. Sorry my first post has to be a mini rant but has anybody noticed that every day the flags outside the crystal showrooms are being flown in the wrong order, they always have the irish tricolour flying on the left of the three flagpoles with european union flag in the centre and the united states flag on the right. I learned in third class that the national flag should be always in either the centre, closest to the centre or the highest flagpole in that order. I know its a bit petty but do you think an american would allow that to happen in america...i doubt it. Even on the tricolour celebration website theres a picture of the front of the showrroms and you can see the flags in the wrong order...i hope they can get it right in time.

sure send em an email, they obviously just dont realise it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Fair play ironballs,and they'd want to wash the one on the Tower Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Flag etiquette is that the tricolour should be in the most important position. This is considered to be the first (furtherst left) flag pole. It should only be in the centre if that flagpole is higher than the others. Think of it, if there were 20 flags none would be in the centre, and if there were 21 the middle flat wouldn't have a very prominent position.

So they got it right :)

(I'm a sucker for flag etiquette)

dayshah wrote: »
    Flag etiquette is that the tricolour should be in the most important position. This is considered to be the first (furtherst left) flag pole. It should only be in the centre if that flagpole is higher than the others. Think of it, if there were 20 flags none would be in the centre, and if there were 21 the middle flat wouldn't have a very prominent position.

So they got it right :)

(I'm a sucker for flag etiquette)
    it should be flown on the furthest left if only two or more than three flags are being flown, in this case there are three only so the centre is the position of importance.

it should be flown on the furthest left if only two or more than three flags are being flown, in this case there are three only so the centre is the position of importance.

Where did you get this information from?

Take a peek at page 9 point 6. (There are circumstances when the tricolour needn't be to the left from the observers point of view, ie if all the EU flags are flown it is permissible to put them in alphabetical order). Of course this is just etiquette and has no legal effect.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/1104.pdf

and point 6(b) says "Where, however, an odd number of flags are displayed
    from staffs grouped so that there is one staff in the
    centre and higher than the others, the National Flag
    should be displayed from the staff so placed. Where
    one of these flags is that of the European Union, the
    European Union flag should be flown from the first
    flagstaff on the right, or as seen by an observer, on the
    first flagstaff on the left."

and point 6(b) says "Where, however, an odd number of flags are displayed
    from staffs grouped so that there is one staff in the
    centre and higher
    than the others, the National Flag
    should be displayed from the staff so placed. Where
    one of these flags is that of the European Union, the
    European Union flag should be flown from the first
    flagstaff on the right, or as seen by an observer, on the
    first flagstaff on the left."

Is the centre pole higher? I thought they were the same height. The angle of the webcam doesn't allow me to check. :(

But anyway, I said before it should be in the centre if the centre pole is higher.

So in summary, if the centre pole is higher then you are right, but if all the poles are the same height then they are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

every day the flags outside the crystal showrooms are being flown in the wrong order, they always have the irish tricolour flying on the left of the three flagpoles with european union flag in the centre and the united states flag on the right. I learned in third class that the national flag should be always in either the centre, closest to the centre or the highest flagpole in that order. I know its a bit petty but do you think an american would allow that to happen in america...i doubt it. Even on the tricolour celebration website theres a picture of the front of the showrroms and you can see the flags in the wrong order...i hope they can get it right in time.

Where does the Union Jack go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Where does the Union Jack go?

You mean the butcher's apron.

• Advertisement

I just wondered why we hoist the yankee flag but ignore our closest neighbour.

I just wondered why we hoist the yankee flag but ignore our closest neighbour.

Because Americans have more money :)

dayshah wrote: »
    Because Americans have more money :)

Good point. Maybe we can get 8 billion out of them..

WWRD, The people who own Waterford Crystal are American & the biggest market for WC is the US. plus I think they have an EU flag so that covers the ould sassanachs.

Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas for the festival?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Wow! There's a Leviathan Political Cabaret at the Theatre Royale, hosted by David McWilliams. Well done to the organisers! :)

http://www.1848tricolour.com/index.php?contentid=events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Theres a reason why the yank flag is higher because they own ireland !

I wonder would the people who paint the rock in the Waterford & that other lots colours agree to a truce .... and paint the rock Green, White & Orange until at least The Tall Ships festival is over .... same them both Time & money!

They have got a facebook page if you are interested in supporting the festival & spreading the word!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

There's only one man that deserves credit for this and hopefully no organisation or media outlet will try to claim the event as their own.

Thats the thing. hopefully its a great sucess but sadly if it is then you will have some media type claiming it.

wellboy for mayor

Advertisement