Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1848 Tri-colour festrival, Waterford

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Diluted

seanybiker wrote: »
    Thats the thing. hopefully its a great sucess but sadly if it is then you will have some media type claiming it.

wellboy for mayor

You are stiring it now Mr Nobike as usual ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Diluted wrote: »
    You are stiring it now Mr Nobike as usual ;)

no I honestly dont mean to stir it. fair play to him like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Diluted

seanybiker wrote: »
    no I honestly dont mean to stir it. fair play to him like.

Yah know what you mean he a sound bollix like.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I think the previous suggestion about painting the rock Green White and Orange is a excellent idea. Dont know any of the lads involved in painting it though. Maybe somebody on here knows them?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

dayshah wrote: »
    Because Americans have more money :)

:D
    We keep busing them in, they'll keep spending the money!
    Great news about the festival. Tall ships, spraoi etc, could be a good year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Hi Jad,

I don't know any of the Waterford lads but I have heard that the Slieverue lot would be willing to not paint over it until after the Tall Ships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know the waterford lads.could say it to them sure.

^ I think that would be great, If seany could ask the Waterford lads and if Comeraghs could ask for a temporary truce it would show that the community on boards are trying to help out. It would prob get in the local papers ( again). :)

Noticed the Flagpoles being adjusted on the mall today. the guy doing it said that it was for the "flag thingy". So at least now the Irish flag will get to be flown in the middle.. Pity the rock is now red and white hopefully it will be green white and orange for the summer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

jad2007 wrote: »
    Noticed the Flagpoles being adjusted on the mall today. the guy doing it said that it was for the "flag thingy". So at least now the Irish flag will get to be flown in the middle.. Pity the rock is now red and white hopefully it will be green white and orange for the summer..

Pity yer not a De La Salle man!
    Hon the Salle!!

• Advertisement

Passed 33 the Mall yesterday and noticed it was getting a lick of paint. Nice to see somebody take a interest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

comeraghs wrote: »
    Hopefully the event won´t be hi-jacked by any "Republican" groups as they tried to do to the flag in general!
    Remember that the white symbolises reconciliation & peace with Protestant Irish people!

Hi-jackin? Thats like saying Meagher hijacked of the French locals, tahts obscene. get a grip! I'm sure all republicans are aware of what the white represents, also the the tricolour really only became the national flag when it was raised in 1916 during the fight for independence? ironic dont ya think? It was only regarded as national flag after a whole irish rebellion a chara, so I would believe many republicans today do have great respect for the flag and will attend, as these men give their time and lives to republicanism, are well aware of what the flag represents, and do not sit on internet and criticise, why shouldn't these people attend,spread word, give speeches if be the case and celebrate it properly, a full right too, more than most, With peace must also come unity.

As for you saying republicans 'hijacking a flag'????

each and every Irish citizen can claim and display the tricolour as their own. And be proud of it.
    Never knew we had to adhere to rules.
    This is a day for all and not for you be automatically pinpointing and assuming.
    "flag thingy" a shame such a reference, this day needs to be highlighted via media, social networks, polical parties and general word of mouth.

We should hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Patrick! You know very well that a lot of "republicanism" these days is just a lot of anti-protestant/brits out rubbish that belongs in the past! & I'll sit on the internet & complain as much as I want! (just like yourself)

Well Done to Cian & co on organising this great festival. Spread the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

comeraghs wrote: »
    I'll sit on the internet & complain as much as I want!

Well Done to Cian & co on organising this great festival. Spread the word!
    :D Your the real rebel
    It will be a good day, will see you there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not long away now.. like their Facebook page and lets drive this as much as we can;
    http://www.1848tricolour.com/index.php?contentid=i-am-going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Fair play to the organisers, really enjoyed the parade and speeches etc today. Positivity everywhere :) TF Meagher lookin well for his age!
    Also, the Canadian ambassador to Ireland - Loyola Hearn , the Naval Reserve guard of honour, and the flag flying at 33 The Mall!

150640.jpg150644.jpg

150643.jpg150641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Very disappointed to miss this, living outside of Ireland at the mo. Was there a big turn out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Very disappointed to miss this, living outside of Ireland at the mo. Was there a big turn out?

Yeah the turnout was good! The crowd seem compacted enough along the Mall between City Hall and the Credit Union Building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It was a good day untill the mayor made her speech which was pretty long and boring, other than that a good day and well done to Cian Foley for organising it and hopefully it will get bigger and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

200motels wrote: »
    It was a good day untill the mayor made her speech which was pretty long and boring, other than that a good day and well done to Cian Foley for organising it and hopefully it will get bigger and better.

I thought she made a brilliant speech. Really brought it home the significance of the flag, Meagher, etc.

Well done indeed to Cian Foley and the organisers. We need citizens working hard like this to show off Waterford's rich history.

Next on my list would be to do something to highlight Luke Wadding's role in the establishment of St. Patrick's day, given that it has become a world wide affair these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

merlante wrote: »
    I thought she made a brilliant speech. Really brought it home the significance of the flag, Meagher, etc.

Well done indeed to Cian Foley and the organisers. We need citizens working hard like this to show off Waterford's rich history.

Next on my list would be to do something to highlight Luke Wadding's role in the establishment of St. Patrick's day, given that it has become a world wide affair these days.

As far as I'm aware he only fixed the date didn't he? It was celebrated before he did anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭runsalot

I thought the Mayor was very well spoken and for someone who didn't know a whole lot about T.F Meagher before the festival :o found it very informative.

Speech of the day was the Canadian Ambassador's for me.
    Hopefully it will be an annual event.

Read a piece a while back about Wadding in history Ireland magazine. He was a fairly interesting guy and is well worth checking out.

Advertisement