Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion tripping switch when flicked to bath only problem

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi.

The sink immersion works grand but when you put it onto bath it trips the immersion trip switch

Anyone know What the problem might be and is there a quick fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your probably looking at a new immersion element. The bath element is probably faulty causing the short

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Binder

Thanks, is this isn't a fit job from what I'm reading. How much roughly would it cost for a sparks to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its not much work for an electrican to wire up a new element, provided the current supply is ok. Its getting the element into the tank. I'd guess an electrician would charge €35/€50 max to hook one up. If you get a plumber to install the element, many of them will connect it up.

You have to be very careful changing these as you can damage the tank or have issues getting the thing to seal again. So if the tank is old there's a small possibility you might need a new one.

If your a competent DIYer you should be able to install the element yourself and get an electrician to hook it up if your not happy doing that part.

The element is usually about €15 in a wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the price of the element depends on the size of the element.
    most common sizes are 11''.....24''......27''......36''
    they range in price from 15-30 euro and usually come with the pencil stat installed and approx 2mtrs of h/r flex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I wouldn't suggest to anyone to remove it themselves if they haven't done it before, especially with an old cylinder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i would also advise to get an electrician out as there is a requirement to have the immersion connected to an rcd
    if yours has one it should trip on both sink and bath
    if there is one fitted,press the test button(it should be tested monthly,but i dont know anyone who does this)
    the rcd is on the main fuseboard and may be marked elcb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Its not much work for an electrican to wire up a new element, provided the current supply is ok. Its getting the element into the tank. I'd guess an electrician would charge €35/€50 max to hook one up. If you get a plumber to install the element, many of them will connect it up.

You have to be very careful changing these as you can damage the tank or have issues getting the thing to seal again. So if the tank is old there's a small possibility you might need a new one.

If your a competent DIYer you should be able to install the element yourself and get an electrician to hook it up if your not happy doing that part.

The element is usually about €15 in a wholesalers.
    Supply and fit will cost you around €150 + vat. ot someting to be tried by un-experienced as you could easily crack the cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

beanie10 wrote: »
    Supply and fit will cost you around €150 + vat. ot someting to be tried by un-experienced as you could easily crack the cylinder.

you also need a special spanner to remove and refit an dual group aswell as the ability to follow the wiring diagram as there is a 4 core flex on the dual groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the colour coding varies-so always check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

beanie10 wrote: »

Even when ye are experienced that can happen, i had it happen once and had to replace the cylinder as well. The easiest ones i ever did was on cylinders that i cut and put flanges into years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Even when ye are experienced that can happen, i had it happen once and had to replace the cylinder as well. The easiest ones i ever did was on cylinders that i cut and put flanges into years ago.
    +1

I've seen very experienced plumbers even have problems with them.

I usually cut out most of the fibre washer with a hacksaw blade, then with the cylinder still full and water pressure still on get a tiny turn on the element. I've done quite a few this way on old cylinders and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Yes, I've done quite a few of these over the years. The secret is to leave the Tank full of Water until you get the Element loose, even if it means a little water leaking out.
    Then Close off the Feed to the Cylinder and Drain down the water until it's lower than the Element and the nremove.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

sky6 wrote: »
    Yes, I've done quite a few of these over the years. The secret is to leave the Tank full of Water until you get the Element loose, even if it means a little water leaking out.
    Then Close off the Feed to the Cylinder and Drain down the water until it's lower than the Element and the nremove.

Best pce of advice i have read. Taking an element from a tank is a bitch. there is 2 types of spanner the best one is the box type. turn it gently.

However tbh i would never attempt this as a diyer. The price of 600 euro supply and fit on a new cylinder would prevent me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Some cylinders are not in great shape as well.
    sky6
    The secret is to leave the Tank full of Water until you get the Element loose

True, i just take the element out and let the water spill and quickly use a piece of hose to syphon the water down a few inches. None of this trying to drain it before removing the element. The amount of water above the element is very little anyway, a towel or 2 and its fine. Except when the gate valve wont close completely which is not unheard of, but you can tell this by turning on a tap. when closing valve.
    Joey the lips
    However tbh i would never attempt this as a diyer

No its not a great one to attempt, ive done a fair few and ive had one or 2 bad ones including a tank ripper as i mentioned in a previous post.

Advertisement