Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Zealand McDee's blocks Gay website - sign of things to come?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The homepage of that site contains an apparently naked man in a hotel bed with only a sheet over him.
    An advert for a gay sauna, and 'which all black would you like to score' poll

I think its fair to block that from kids eating their happy meal
    If a parent saw another customer looking at that, they could well not bring their custom back

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If it was a deliberate policy, then yes it's discriminatory but I imagine it's just filter software playing up. In work, despite working in a Java environment, the idiotic filters are constantly blocking Java/IT sites as "time wasting content" because they're on someone's blog or some other idiotic reason. Yeah, because I'm really wasting time at work looking up a regex example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Biggins wrote: »
    A strange and unusual situation from New Zealand.
    What's worrying, is it a way of thinking that other companies might follow?

The English Times today:

McDonald’s New Zealand condemned over wi-fi gay site blocks

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/australia-newzealand/article2870203.ece

Is this a step too far in blocking and censorship? Are McDonalds trying to justify their censorship by using adverts as a convenient excuse.
    I'd be interested to hear what others think. I'm unsure about this one myself.
    That link left out other information that is in the media about this over here.

McDonalds NZ has not blocked all gay websites. Only some. TVNZ did a test in their locations and found that many gay dating sites and other gay information sites are still accessible.

For a site to get unblocked, it will be reviewed. Its doing its own version of Net Nanny I suppose. Would be the same for any house hold that has parental control software installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

new zealand and australia are just arseholes for censorship in general.

Advertisement