Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiddal Triathlon 21st May

• 12-01-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

I just signed up for this, Handy cos it's more or less local for me.

http://www.galwaytriathlon.com/

Course looks nice but the bike course is fairly narrow and bendy at the spiddal end and it's an out and back course so it's gonna require serious competitor dicipline to avoid accidents.

Anyone else have a look at it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Haven't signed up yet but will more than likely do it, my main concern is whether I want to start out with a sprint or an Olympic distance. It should get decent numbers with people looking for an early race getting ready for Galway 70.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Signed up for the early bird price and this will be my first triathlon so I'll be doing the Sprint distance.

Running & Bike will look after itself, but will need to get some swimming training in I suppose. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Just signed up for the Olympic. Anyone else commited yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was this event held last year? Any reports/reviews? I've done Valentia Island the last 2 years on this weekend and I'd head back there in a heart beat but might be nice to try out a different event, broaden my horizons and all that. Looking for a sprint in May anyway

Was this event held last year? Any reports/reviews? I've done Valentia Island the last 2 years on this weekend and I'd head back there in a heart beat but might be nice to try out a different event, broaden my horizons and all that. Looking for a sprint in May anyway

First time event so no reports available. I've got a bit of history there so that's why I'm opting in. The out-and-back twice bike course looks a bit grim on Google streetview and the run is 4 laps from the pier through the village so there could be a good atmosphere for that if there's any crowd. If the weather is good it'll be magic. I thought there'd be more interest from some of the 1,800 strong IM70.3 crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

RedB wrote: »
    First time event so no reports available. I've got a bit of history there so that's why I'm opting in. The out-and-back twice bike course looks a bit grim on Google streetview and the run is 4 laps from the pier through the village so there could be a good atmosphere for that if there's any crowd. If the weather is good it'll be magic. I thought there'd be more interest from some of the 1,800 strong IM70.3 crew.

Meh galway is in September... thats miles off for this race to have any significance for it. You not doing Joey so?

Hmm out and back twice on a narrow road with the sprint event also doing it. I wonder if they will cap the entry, stagger the start of sprint and Olympic. I'd hate to sign up for this only to have an 'Athyesque' scenario for the bike

Grim how?

Meh galway is in September... thats miles off for this race to have any significance for it. You not doing Joey so?

Hmm out and back twice on a narrow road with the sprint event also doing it. I wonder if they will cap the entry, stagger the start of sprint and Olympic. I'd hate to sign up for this only to have an 'Athyesque' scenario for the bike

Grim how?

No, not doing Joey. Doing Nenagh the week before.

The Sprint crew only do out and back once.

Its a road through a boggy area. See below:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Spiddal,+Ireland&aq=0&sll=52.657717,-8.543354&sspn=0.035455,0.075617&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Spiddal,+County+Galway,+Ireland&ll=53.261311,-9.294434&spn=0.139853,0.302467&z=12&layer=c&cbll=53.261392,-9.294136&panoid=ioJSM6awWjCQMdQ9PyZ8uA&cbp=12,16.06,,0,5

(Must learn how to tag the link properly :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Grim how?
    I know the road well, i've cycled it a hundred times. The 10k out is pretty much a gradual climb, which makes the 10k back a gradual decent with some narrow bends at the bottom (grand if you know the road but not grand if you are inexperienced on the bike and don't know the road). On top of the hill it's quite exposed and the surface is a bit dodgy in spots. Having said that it's a nice cycle (otherwise i wouldn't use it so often), quite scenic and provided to race is staggered there ought to be enough width.

Advertisement