Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

is lcvp not accepted as a course in ucd :eek: .........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Do you mean the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme? If so, then that's hardly surprising: Vocational courses are aimed at work-related skills, which is essentially the opposite of the academic study you do at university.

You would do Vocational study and training (apprenticeships etc.) and then go to work, instead of going to university. If you want to go to university, you need to get the Academic LC results as specified by the university.

If you are older than 23, you may be able to gain entrance as a Mature Student, though you'd be expected to pass a test and convince the university that you'd be able to handle it.

(Note: by "university" I mean an institution that offers at least Level 7 qualifications as per the National Framework of Qualifications).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

bnt wrote: »
    Do you mean the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme? If so, then that's hardly surprising: Vocational courses are aimed at work-related skills, which is essentially the opposite of the academic study you do at university.

You would do Vocational study and training (apprenticeships etc.) and then go to work, instead of going to university. If you want to go to university, you need to get the Academic LC results as specified by the university.

If you are older than 23, you may be able to gain entrance as a Mature Student, though you'd be expected to pass a test and convince the university that you'd be able to handle it.

(Note: by "university" I mean an institution that offers at least Level 7 qualifications as per the National Framework of Qualifications).

Wrong. LCVP (or Link Modules) are not really vocational like the Leaving Cert Applied. Rather you learn stuff like how to write a report do case studies of companies. LCVP is a LC subject, not a form of the LC.

As for the statement at the start, indeed, no NUI college accepts LCVP for matriculation purposes. (http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs2011_12English.pdf page 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

i don't do Irish you see...so I'm doing lcvp as a replacement ... will this not be permitted???? :eek:

I emailed them... here is their reply

Thank you for your email. I wish to confirm that LCVP is not
    acceptable for NUI Matriculation. All students must present a minimum
    of 6 subjects
    regardless of whether a student has been granted an exemption from
    Irish/Third Language. LCVP can be used for points purposes, but not
    as one of the six Leaving Certificate Subjects for entry to NUI
    Universities.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Are you doing 7 subjects or 6? Why are you not doing Irish, do you have an exemption?

• Advertisement

ye i am doing 7 subjects
    English,maths, french,biology,physics,business, lcvp.... and yes i have an exemption from Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

You can therefore use the 6 subjects you do for matricicul purposes, but you can use lcvp for the points you recieve.

It's like needing a minimum of a C in maths but not neccesarily using the points gained from maths as you whole points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As Crow says, you have no problems then.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

bnt wrote: »

If you are older than 23, you may be able to gain entrance as a Mature Student, though you'd be expected to pass a test and convince the university that you'd be able to handle it. .

Completely wrong, although I didn't use LCVP points wise for the Leaving Cert, 99% of colleges accept it not for matriculation purposes, but you can use your points, its not like the LCA, LCVP basically just introduces you to working life. So you can write down 6 subjects, but if you did better in LCVP than physics say, you can sub in your points.

"Able to handle" university because you did LCVP? Read up on it before you go saying things like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sinead_Hanley

OK - Need clarification here

Got a merit in LCVP - this is equal to 50 points - Can I use these 50 points when calculating my total points for an NUI College?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Yeah you can

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement