Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the Red Lion

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great report; I felt the pain! Putting it all on the line. How could you have any regrets? Well done dermcu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great report. Thats a savage time!! Reachin the half point in 1 20 is something else, id be happy with a half marathon time of 1 20 alone!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done dermcu. Brilliant log and race report, thanks. Lots more to come I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

The red start starting 30 seconds slower didnt help. Its seems small but as you join the others after around 3 miles the runners around you arent in fact running at your pace so therefore you have to run the race on your own apart from lads at the red start going at the same pace. So in fact it didnt help at all. Fair play for having a go. Grwat time and it putws last yrs bad day behind you for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Well done Dermot - great time, great report.

Really rather envious - can't ever see myself hitting those times (or putting in all that training effort!).

Buala bas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congratulations - that's a fantastic result.
    Seriously you think you didn't run an optimal race :confused:. You were planning on winning ? :D. Negative splits are a means to and end. You emptied the tank and got "the end" - literally. Course you can always to back next time in cooler conditions and shave that time .... but savor the beer for a while.

Yeah, I know what you mean. You don't get extra points for style, hitting your target as you cross the line is the important thing.
    The red start starting 30 seconds slower didnt help. Its seems small but as you join the others after around 3 miles the runners around you arent in fact running at your pace so therefore you have to run the race on your own apart from lads at the red start going at the same pace. So in fact it didnt help at all. Fair play for having a go. Grwat time and it putws last yrs bad day behind you for good.

Cheers VR. I hadn't really thought of it like that. It did feel disjointed at the time but it didnt dawn on me that loads of people were going at different paces. To be honest I felt a bit humbled at the time. There was just so many people running at or faster than 2:40 ~ 2:42 pace
    brownian wrote: »
    Well done Dermot - great time, great report.
    Really rather envious - can't ever see myself hitting those times (or putting in all that training effort!).
    Buala bas
    Thanks for that. Looking at your log and your recent race I'd really query that. Any guy who regularly whips in 65 min 10 milers mid week has a hell of a lot of untapped potential. Just over 2 years ago I could never see myself going under 2:45. In fact I would have put money against it. Its just a matter of how much you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done derm, good report....enjoy the recovery in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Congrats on a good run, you can forget about the red lion now, that monkey is off your back. Early days, but any plans in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Congrats on a good run, you can forget about the red lion now, that monkey is off your back. Early days, but any plans in the pipeline?

Thanks Heff. No firm plans yet. I'm in two minds about doing an autumn marathon. I'm thinking of spending a bit of time in the summer working on the faster stuff. My basic speed is pretty poor. I've nearly always built my marathon training from the top down rather than bottom up. Late in the summer I'd like to race a good bit over various shorter distances and maybe peak for the national half marathon in September. I'd like to have a crack at that.
    I'm in Australia for a few weeks in October so when I get back I'd start into training for London 2012. Now that I have a championship start it would be a shame not to make the most of it - especially the year the Olympics are in London. I don't know, that plan might change if I start getting a hunger for the marathon in a few weeks.

How about you? Are you still going for Dublin this year? Have you thought about a target yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

dermCu wrote: »
    Thanks Heff. No firm plans yet. I'm in two minds about doing an autumn marathon. I'm thinking of spending a bit of time in the summer working on the faster stuff. My basic speed is pretty poor. I've nearly always built my marathon training from the top down rather than bottom up. Late in the summer I'd like to race a good bit over various shorter distances and maybe peak for the national half marathon in September. I'd like to have a crack at that.
    I'm in Australia for a few weeks in October so when I get back I'd start into training for London 2012. Now that I have a championship start it would be a shame not to make the most of it - especially the year the Olympics are in London. I don't know, that plan might change if I start getting a hunger for the marathon in a few weeks.

It would be a shame with all that good speed work done over the summer and not to use it to lower that marathon PB:).

Great running there on Sunday though. The difference a year makes

I see there are a few photos of us near the end.

Good meeting you after. Enjoy the R&R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I think its a good idea with the faster stuff, no harm in breaking the marathon cycle and giving London a good crack next year, might join you, Australia sounds nice, business or pleasure? My only plan this year is Dublin, I'm targeting sub 2.30, my training lately hasn't been good with sickness and injury, will start next Monday when I get home from Italy, 26 weeks off hard training, need it after all the pizzas :)

Advertisement