Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on iPhone 4 using WaveLan

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Is anyone able to log in and call people using Skype?

I think the port is blocked. It is working on my Macbook though.

Would be nice to get it to work on iPhone!

Greetings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

Its working fine on my iphone since i downloaded it, no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PieterK123

Weird, I do have internet and can surf with Safari etc but I can't login with skype. 'Please check your network settings'

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

It appears that there may be an issue with the Apple API for apps that require internet connectivity, basically they dont work with / use the proxy even if configured in the WLAN profile.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12710353

Eduroam works and is being rolled out across campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

Yes it's a problem with skype not connecting to proxy servers. Nothing to do with the college. Eduroam works fine, but at the moment it's only available in computer science, engineering and daedalus (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

Computer Science
    CASL (Belfield Office Park)
    OLHSC Crumlin
    Clarity (Ground floor Physics / Science North)
    Student Centre (Partial)
    Health Sciences
    Computer Centre
    Main Library
    Tierney
    Daedalus
    Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

imho, i think rather than a proxy issue, the campus is blocking voip related apps and push notifications as it might be too taxing on the system. why do i say this? among all the gazillion apps on my 3GS, the only ones that are still not working on wavelan are skype,fring,nimbuzz,foocall and mobilevoip...all of these guys(voip apps all of 'em) work instantly when i switch to 3g...the 'push notification related' app blocking seem to be more selective though....facebook notifications dont work(if u get them, probably they came through the 3g when the wavelan got disconnected for a while) but sometimes they come through normally....whereas other push notification app like whatsapp dont connect at all on wavelan...

but i know viber(voip app) is working quite well on wavelan but then i also heard its using some kind of private api so that could explain it...

besides my wild guess, i actually did read somewhere about another uni network also blocking voip apps and push notifications...so yeah...no hard evidence but one possible explanation

EDIT: found the source of this reading i said i made somewhere...its at Princeton University
    Despite reports, Princeton has not "banned" iOS devices, but their workaround includes disabling Notificatons, Find My iPhone/iPad, FaceTime and removing all VoIP applications.
    Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/19/princeton-and-ios-dhcp-still-not-getting-along

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Push notifications are delivered through 3G, even when on WiFi. They are only delivered through WiFi on non-phone devices like iPod Touch or iPad (WiFi only).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deeraff

does anyone know how to unblock viber on the wavelan network??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cable_guy

I've had a look online but couldn't find a way of unblocking Viber.

Luckily though the Foocall app works fine for me as it makes local calls to international destinations through your phone dialler. I'm on an android (htc) but it works the same on iphone. I know that foocall also doesn't require wifi to work as it uses the phone's dialler (but i believe it does need a data connection to set up the call and retrieve the local number). Its great as you're not dependent on the wavelan network to use it - i use foocall when i'm out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Use eduroam if it's available, pretty much all protocols work on that.

Advertisement