Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Bin with council

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi All,

Last year I rang the council to cancel my bins with them and sent a letter.
    Then this week I received a bill for €358 for this year and last year.
    Just got off the phone to them there.. and she said I have to send proof from my new bin provider that I am using.
    I said I recently changed to a new company but for the majority of last year I used the dump.
    She said well we still need proof.. and I said I sent you a letter last Feb!!
    Ahhhh.. I'm so annoyed.. :mad:
    Has anyone else had an issue like this with the council?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I cancelled my bins with the council 4 years ago and every year since ive gotten a bill from them. I had the same crap as you with them but i just decided it was bloody stupid and ignored them. I just shred the bill every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

lucylu19 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Last year I rang the council to cancel my bins with them and sent a letter.
    Then this week I received a bill for €358 for this year and last year.
    Just got off the phone to them there.. and she said I have to send proof from my new bin provider that I am using.
    I said I recently changed to a new company but for the majority of last year I used the dump.
    She said well we still need proof.. and I said I sent you a letter last Feb!!
    Ahhhh.. I'm so annoyed.. :mad:
    Has anyone else had an issue like this with the council?

I'd flip the questioning around and ask them for proof that you actually used THEIR service...

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

I'd flip the questioning around and ask them for proof that you actually used THEIR service...

S.

Love it!!! Might ring back and try that!!!
    I have ray whelan sending me a letter saying I'm with them.. but why should I!! This is ridiculous! They were a bit confused as well as they never heard of this before!
    Plus I never kept any reciepts from the dump and I'm not paying for last year.. now way hose!!

Goodlad.. so what was you bill this year... €800..!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

What part of Kildare are you in?

Newbridge.. why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I did the same 3 years ago and each year I get an invoice and each year I ring them.

Rang yesterday and a woman took my details and will email them onto the person who looks after it.

why she couldn't transfer me i don't know.

Trampas wrote: »
    I did the same 3 years ago and each year I get an invoice and each year I ring them.

Rang yesterday and a woman took my details and will email them onto the person who looks after it.

why she couldn't transfer me i don't know.

So did they not ask you for any proof that you have a new provider??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Why should you have to provide any evidence????

If you cancelled AA membership would you have to provide them with details of your new breakdown service?

It's none of their business, don't pay them and tell them if they are concerned then come and collect their wheelie bins..

We changed to a private provider about 2 years ago.. they tried billing us also.. We rang and refused to jump through any of their hoops.. and we are still waiting for them to collect the wheelie bins after 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Newbridge.. why?

You could contact one of the local councillors to assist. I represent Newbridge as part of the Kildare LEA, but my colleague Cllr. Michéal Nolan is based in the town and usually takes care of issues in Newbridge.

So did they not ask you for any proof that you have a new provider??

No. None of their business as there is no law to state I have to have my rubbish collected. I could easily just bring my rubbish to the local dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Welease wrote: »
    Why should you have to provide any evidence????

If you cancelled AA membership would you have to provide them with details of your new breakdown service?

It's none of their business, don't pay them and tell them if they are concerned then come and collect their wheelie bins..

We changed to a private provider about 2 years ago.. they tried billing us also.. We rang and refused to jump through any of their hoops.. and we are still waiting for them to collect the wheelie bins after 2 years..
    +1.
    Had a similar experience.
    Funny thing was they did take my bins away when I cancelled years ago, albeit after several requests so not sure what basis they had for billing me?
    Tell them to whistle for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

STForSale wrote: »
    +1.
    Had a similar experience.
    Funny thing was they did take my bins away when I cancelled years ago, albeit after several requests so not sure what basis they had for billing me?
    Tell them to whistle for it.

Same with me, cancelled and after about five calls eventually took away the bins. That was three years ago and they still bill me every year. I ring them every year also - pointless:mad:

aodh_rua wrote: »
    You could contact one of the local councillors to assist. I represent Newbridge as part of the Kildare LEA, but my colleague Cllr. Michéal Nolan is based in the town and usually takes care of issues in Newbridge.

Thanks for the advice.. but this seems to be a much larger problem in the council from the replies to this post.. What sort of system are they running in the council that they keep billing people who cancelled years ago!
    Seems a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It's always been a joke. My father had a council bin delivered to his house years ago and never collected, they kept sending bills but no lorries (the lorry wouldn't go down the road the house was on).

The burden of proof is on them to prove they provided a service. Just ignore them and they'll go away, they rely on people being intimidated by them.

Bins got cancelled and evey picked up the bins today.

they asked had we sent in a letter. we said yes so if asked just say yes as they don't check

Advertisement