Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking outside Dublin City

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Myself and me mates are heading you to Dublin for a concert we will be staying in the city but want to go up a few days earlier and head out somewhere outside the city can any1 reccommed somewhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

carly_86 wrote: »
    Hi All

Myself and me mates are heading you to Dublin for a concert we will be staying in the city but want to go up a few days earlier and head out somewhere outside the city can any1 reccommed somewhere

The Bloody Stream pub in Howth, right under the DART station and harbour side.. Smashing little boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of the "local", even in my own area, I would always rather head in to town or maybe Harry Byrnes on the Howth road for a match. But.. as Makikomi says, the bloody stream would be worth it. Great pub, great location, good food and stuff around.

There are other pubs outside the center that are very popular, The Big Tree in Drumcondra, and a few over in Rathmines, The Port house in Cross Gunns, Gibneys in Malahide and McGowans in Phibsboru among others!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the hole in the wall in cabra is fantastic, good food, turf fire ans they should still have their wonderful christmas lights up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Roddy Bolands, Rathmines... good crowd on fridays and the weekends. But not too far from the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

kenny of lucan is a nice spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

The Lantern in Navan is pretty nice. Good pints to be had in The Pump House in Kilkenny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Lantern in Navan is pretty nice. Good pints to be had in The Pump House in Kilkenny too.

Im pretty sure they were on about Dublin County :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

What about Tallaght is that ok place to go drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What exactly are you looking for? Is it a quiet corner, to meet new people, to meet men/women, music, lively atmosphere...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There's a nice pub in Tallaght called the old mill. Tallaght is a decent distance from the city centre though, so if you're staying in the city centre you might want to consider the distance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Dragon would be the nicest pub in Tallaght imo. Quiet enough old-school local boozer.

Right in Tallaght village and about 10-15 minutes walk from the Luas Terminus.

Closer to the city centre, the Royal Oak in Kilmainham is worth a try.

Also Birchalls in Ranelagh is a nice spot.

All the above are quiet, local type pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stovelid wrote: »
    The Dragon would be the nicest pub in Tallaght imo. Quiet enough old-school local boozer.

I like The Dragon, a good mate is part of the furniture there.. But I wouldn't suggest Tallaght as a destination for anyone visiting Dublin.

But I wouldn't suggest Tallaght as a destination for anyone visiting Dublin.

For sure. Just mentioned because the OP asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

stovelid wrote: »
    Closer to the city centre, the Royal Oak in Kilmainham is worth a try.

Good call, visit there OP

Sure since you're visiting Dublin do the jail tour first as well, kill a few hours

Also the Gravediggers OP.

Not too far out from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if you're going to Tallaght, the cuckoos nest is a decent local pub. good crowd on a weekend. you can get the 50,77 and 77a buses and they stop right outside it. the kingswood luas stop is about 10 mins walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

listermint wrote: »
    Im pretty sure they were on about Dublin County :D

Ah, where's your sense of adventure?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There are other pubs outside the center that are very popular, The Big Tree in Drumcondra, and a few over in Rathmines, The Port house in Cross Gunns, Gibneys in Malahide and McGowans in Phibsboru among others!

Porterhouse I think is what John_Rambo meant, it's part of the well known chain and IMO the nicest of the the three in Dublin. Great variety of beers as you'd expect. Live music on Thursdays & Sundays I think. Not sure if it meets your criteria as it isn't too far from the city

Ranelagh has a few nice pubs to offer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Head out to Johnny Fox's up the Dublin mountains. Trad, food, drink and girls..!

Here's the website http://jfp.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

The Bloody Stream pub in Howth, right under the DART station and harbour side.. Smashing little boozer.

the pier house is a great howth pub as well. its a good while since ive been in it but they used to do trad sessions on a sunday morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

the pier house is a great howth pub as well. its a good while since ive been in it but they used to do trad sessions on a sunday morning

Unfortunately, no one will be getting anything there for a while as it shut a few months ago and didn't get sold on the first bidding round. It's a pity as it's a great spot with the 'beer garden' out front giving views of the harbour and sunsets.

As for trad sessions, the Waterside have one or two but I don't know the days/times and Krugers has an excellent one on Wednesday nights with some top-notch musicians and singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Haven't been in a few years, and would normally never recommend anyone go to Bray, but the Harbour Bar was voted best bar in the world by Lonely Planet. Not so sure about that, but it's certainly the best bar in Bray :D

www.harbourbarbray.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hop on a train out to Skerries & have a few drinks & nice food down at the harbour in Blue Bar or Stoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

+1 for Bloody Stream. Personally, I wouldn't go near McGowans. Bouncers are renowned for ruining nights out. Still use 'regulars only' bs. Apparently they are not taking new members until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dunno why everybody likes the Bloody Stream so much. Pints aren't great, flooding has led to certain problems and it's a bit pokey. I know of very few of us locals who go there, actually only two who I know of who go the odd time. That said, the beer garden is a good spot on a sunny, especially weekend, afternoon or evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Toast in Rathmines, decent place, last time I was there it was a decent price for a pint and there is nice leather couches to sit on so you can make youself at home! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

I agree with Makikomi -- The Bloody Stream is a top pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

tricky D wrote: »
    Dunno why everybody likes the Bloody Stream so much. Pints aren't great, flooding has led to certain problems and it's a bit pokey. I know of very few of us locals who go there, actually only two who I know of who go the odd time. That said, the beer garden is a good spot on a sunny, especially weekend, afternoon or evening.

A lot of locals go there, albeit mostly a young crowd. I don't tend to go there often anymore, but when I do go on a Friday or Saturday night it would be hard to single out someone who wasn't a local..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Blue Light, Barnacullia, Dublin Mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

winston82 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near McGowans. Bouncers are renowned for ruining nights out. Still use 'regulars only' bs. Apparently they are not taking new members until next year.

Membership in McGowans....huh?

Advertisement