Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busy restaurants

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Myself and the Boss went down to Brasserie 15 in Castleknock last Sat night without a booking. Arrived at 7.30 pm looking for a table for two. They could only let us have a table if we were out by 8.30 which didn't suit us, so we declined.

We went round the corner and after a short delay got a table and had a lovely meal in the Italian restaurant Castello Bruno (part of the same group I think). Very reasonable too - E55 for two starters, two main courses, glass of wine, bottle of water and two coffees)

Both restaurants were buzzing. Nice to see the recession hasn't dampened everyones spirits on the first Sat night of the new year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Murt10 wrote: »
    Very reasonable too - E55 for two starters, two main courses, glass of wine, bottle of water and two coffees)

I would have to differ with you on that, I certainly wouldn't call €55 for what you've mentioned, in anyway reasonably priced.

Perhaps if it were in around €35, I might give it a second glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bras was probably buzzing with the early bird which i think is now 15e up to 7.30 which is very resonable for the quality of food

A large section of castleknock is pretty resecssion proof tho

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I suspect these places were busy because of the tail end of the extended Christmas break. It will be interesting to see how they fare going forward, this year is going to be horrific for the restaurant and hotel sectors!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dempo1 wrote: »
    this year is going to be horrific for the restaurant and hotel sectors!

Not if they price their product/service correctly offer good service and value for money.

ones who don't adapt and make the effort will fail and should fail.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Not if they price their product/service correctly offer good service and value for money.

ones who don't adapt and make the effort will fail and should fail.

Agreed however it's not as clear cut as that, there are numerous factors to consider not least poor consumer spending, high rents, increased V.A.T, rates and general increased costs. In addition there is a ridicoulous over supply of restaurants and especially hotels.

Unfortunately and in relation to the point of value for money, lots of restaurants have missed the point, instead lowering standards and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I would have to differ with you on that, I certainly wouldn't call €55 for what you've mentioned, in anyway reasonably priced.

Perhaps if it were in around €35, I might give it a second glance.

:confused: I would find €55 for two people in a decent standard restaurant good value if the food, service and general ambience were also good. Take one person's meal of €27.50 made up of - and guessing the prices roughly here to make up the 27.50 - (wine = €5, main course = €13, starter = €7, coffee = €2.50) I can't see anything too unreasonably priced about that - many restaurants will charge at least €15 for a main course. Expecting to get all that for less than 17.50 per person (€35 for two) on a Saturday night is optomistic IMO. Sure, many early bird offers might price cheaper but you will rarely get early bird menus on a Saturday night - the peak time for eating out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We happened to chance our arm at Brasserie 15 early on Sunday evening without a booking. Plenty of punters there but got a table OK. Their set menus were only €20 for starter, main and dessert. That's not bad at all, and if I remember rightly they were doing a special half price on the stone cooked steaks on the a la carte as well.

They were advertising their wines as being half price in January, but they were still (IMO) not particularly cheap, so I wouldn't like to have been buying a bottle at full price!

No sign of a recession in the restaurant anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Much better value to avail of the all day Early Bird on Sundays in the Hole in the Wall - the food is amazing, €17 for 2 courses, €19 for 3. You can also buy a bottle of wine for over €10 in the wine shop and drink that in the bar with your meal!

Gaspode wrote: »
    We happened to chance our arm at Brasserie 15 early on Sunday evening without a booking. Plenty of punters there but got a table OK. Their set menus were only €20 for starter, main and dessert. That's not bad at all, and if I remember rightly they were doing a special half price on the stone cooked steaks on the a la carte as well.

They were advertising their wines as being half price in January, but they were still (IMO) not particularly cheap, so I wouldn't like to have been buying a bottle at full price!

No sign of a recession in the restaurant anyway!

Lets hope its not a stock clearance sale? Restuarants have an unbelievable mark up on wines, buying for as little as €3.99 and selling on for €20/€30 per bottle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

athtrasna wrote: »
    Much better value to avail of the all day Early Bird on Sundays in the Hole in the Wall - the food is amazing, €17 for 2 courses, €19 for 3. You can also buy a bottle of wine for over €10 in the wine shop and drink that in the bar with your meal!

Is the hole in the wall a carvery or do they have a restaurant? Haven't been there for yonks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They have a restaurant but the food in the bar is as good, not sure if the prices are the same, have always eaten in the bar.

Food is cooked to order so be prepared to wait for meat dishes, but it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think the Italian restaurant Castello Bruno is as good as Trentino's food was. The service in Trentino's was shockingly slow. Bruno's is only slightly quicker. I thought Castello Bruno was pretty average overall tbh.

Advertisement