Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT with hids

• 12-01-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have the NCT due in a week. I currently have a set of lo beam HIDs on the car. Should I remove these before the NCT or will it pass with the HIDs left in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I have them in my wife's car (Audi A2 with non-projector lights) and they passed no problem. Non-projector headlights are hit and miss when it comes to xenon kits. Some are ok and some just dazzle on-coming drivers.

If you have drivers regularly flashing you, then you could be in trouble. Otherwise take a chance. I don't believe they specifically look for HID kits, they just check the headlight alignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

ksimpson wrote: »
    I have them in my wife's car (Audi A2 with non-projector lights) and they passed no problem. Non-projector headlights are hit and miss when it comes to xenon kits. Some are ok and some just dazzle on-coming drivers.

If you have drivers regularly flashing you, then you could be in trouble. Otherwise take a chance. I don't believe they specifically look for HID kits, they just check the headlight alignment.

Ya I've got a few flashes from other drivers with them on. It might be safer to take them out for the test. Thanks for the advise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Dangerdunf wrote: »
    Ya I've got a few flashes from other drivers with them on. It might be safer to take them out for the test. Thanks for the advise. :)

Take them off and leave them off would be my opinion. They will fail the NCT without the proper headlight designed for dispersion of the high intensity beam. What you are getting at the moment with the standard lenses is beam scatter which while failing the NCt is causing a hazard to other road users. There's a very good reason other road users are flashing you. Plus they look tripe when the lens isint designed for the HID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dangerdunf wrote: »

It would be safer to either get them aligned properly or remove them altogether.

Improperly aligned lights, especially HIDs, are dangerous and distracting to other road users, and offer no benefit to anyone.

Advertisement