Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Need to get out more

Options
  • 12-01-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

So a new year is here and I realised I need to get off my arse more, any suggestions on ways to meet people around my own age (25)?

I wouldnt mind taking up a sport (preferably rugby touch or normal) but I have no real experience with them and wouldnt be the fittest at the minute!

I'm at a loss as to what to do!

Any Suggestions are welcome,

Thanks

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Join a sports club or social group. You're never too old to take up a sport, and as for fitness that will come with all the lovely training sessions twice weekly minimum and in the rain!!

Loads of lads and ladies playing tag rugby so that might well be a good way, I wouldn't think fitness is a huge issue to be honest. There are leagues as far as I know, some more competitive than others :)

Normal rugby.... have you played before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

RoverJames wrote: »
    Normal rugby.... have you played before?

Donkey's years ago when I was a kid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Tag Rugby on a large scale doesn't usually start up until the summer months.

Where are you living exactly so I can name you some rugby clubs near you?

I live in Douglas not bothered by a bit of a drive, just nervous about being a total "noob" realistically and the approach clubs would take to such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Dya know we were just saying the same thing the other night, Sick sh*t of staying in all the time and doing nought you get stuck in a rut.

You could try some of the classes in Douglas Community school they are starting up again. The only one i used to do was badminton which is great if you like it. The tag rugby is suppose to be great craic too im sure you would find a club somewhere looking for someone.

Good Suggestion thanks, have enquired about a beginners Tai Chi class in Douglas did a very small bit of it before and its both relaxing and great exercise.

Hopefully there is a new round of classes starting soon.

Might do a second thing aswell as I feel I should be out at least 2 evenings a week me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Badminton sounds good! Always wanted to get back into it :)

OP you could always try a boot camp if you wanted to get some exercise in in a group situation? Not sure if it is really the kind of thing you have in mind though...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The martial arts centre I go to is heaving with available blart. Its more fitness based than fight based. am sure there are many like it around the place.

Where's that Gimmick?

• Advertisement

K2C in Blackpool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

gimmick wrote: »
    The martial arts centre I go to is heaving with available blart. Its more fitness based than fight based. am sure there are many like it around the place.

What is "blart"?

jujibee wrote: »
    What is "blart"?

Was wondering that too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

"We need more "Blart" license plates in the gift shop. I repeat, we are sold out of "Blart" license plates."

fionny wrote: »
    I live in Douglas not bothered by a bit of a drive, just nervous about being a total "noob" realistically and the approach clubs would take to such.
    Go have a run with Douglas RFC if you still feel like a bit of rugby.
    We have a J1 and less intensive J3 team, I can put a word in if you want.

http://douglasrfc.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Douglas-RFC/113813671984033?ref=ts

Go have a run with Douglas RFC if you still feel like a bit of rugby.
    We have a J1 and less intensive J3 team, I can put a word in if you want.

http://douglasrfc.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Douglas-RFC/113813671984033?ref=ts

Would love to give it a lash, is it a problem that I have hardly any experience playing? Last time i actually played rugby I was in Primary school :P

fionny wrote: »
    Would love to give it a lash, is it a problem that I have hardly any experience playing? Last time i actually played rugby I was in Primary school :P
    PM sent.

jujibee wrote: »
    What is "blart"?
    Was wondering that too :confused:

blart n. Female vagina. Also collective n. Women; totty (qv). e.g. 'Golly gosh! This pub is heaving with blart".

blart attack n. A strange feeling upon finding oneself surrounded by a large amount of quality totty, starting in the pills and spreading down the right arm, accompanied by a racing pulse.

http://www.milkinfirst.com/dictionary/b.htm

Must be an English term? Never heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Must be an English term? Never heard it before.

it's a new one on me too. I looked it up on urban dictionary and the first definition there is not a nice one :)

• Advertisement

Ya, the urban dictionary one is definitely NOT what I was on about.

Surprised ye are unaware of the term. Heard it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Would you have any interest in playing handball ? Its good for fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

Of all these suggestions, blarting does sound the most fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Go join a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club, there's a good few around Ireland, particularly Dublin and it's a great way to meet people as most clubs seem to have a strong team ethic.

Just a thought. Any other Martial art will do.

Advertisement