Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 any good??

• 12-01-2011 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey just wondering does anyone have the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 lens and is it any good/better than canon 24-105 f4? the wide angle and macro looks appealing and quality seems to be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This has been my standard lens for ages. Took it all around South America. Great focal range, quite sharp, the macro is amazing...you can basically touch the front element against your subject if you want and it'll still be in focus. Nice solid build. Only downsides are that the autofocus is a little loud, and there's no manual aperture ring...neither of which is a problem for me.

I just deleted my Deviant Art account so I don't have photos online right now, but if you want I can put up some samples, I've thousands to pick from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Zillah wrote: »
    This has been my standard lens for ages. Took it all around South America. Great focal range, quite sharp, the macro is amazing...you can basically touch the front element against your subject if you want and it'll still be in focus. Nice solid build. Only downsides are that the autofocus is a little loud, and there's no manual aperture ring...neither of which is a problem for me.

I just deleted my Deviant Art account so I don't have photos online right now, but if you want I can put up some samples, I've thousands to pick from.

If you wouldnt mind that would be really helpful?? Much appreciated. had a look at some on flickr but the more the better :) Its not 2.8 throughout if im not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's 4.5 at 70mm...which is what the 2.8-4.5 means. I very rarely use it at that focal length for anything. I keep it wide for landscapes mostly. You're always going to get better performance out of a prime, but it's perfect for when you're out and about and can't take a whole collection of lenses with you. Wide to light-telephoto with macro on one lens is hard to beat.

PM me an email address and I'll send you a zip with some of the originals straight off the camera.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've put them on rapidshare. Check your PMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was looking at one of these [Nikon mount] a while back, but opted instead for a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for the constant aperture. Both were available for around the same price used at the time. If you feel you need the extra reach and can do without the f/2.8 all the way though, it is a step up from a kit lens and should produce some nice sharp images. Reviews in general are pretty good for it.

If the 50 - 70 range isn't so important [if you have a mid-range zoom, like a 50-200 or whatever], I'd suggest the Tamron instead. It's a matter of personal opinion and needs though. The Sigma is not bad choice at all. The Tamron will be that bit faster and sharper though.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/532981/art/tamron/aspherical-if-sp-af-17-50.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I use this lens 99% of the time, its a great walkaround lens and its pretty sharp. Doesn't have any fringing and very very little CA. There's a small amount of vignetting but its barely noticeable and can be fixed in post relatively easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I have this lens for a few years now, and the only problem I have noticed so far is that the lens zoom has become a bit loose - that is, if I point the lens to the ground, it would automatically extend the zoom to 70mm, not a big problem though!

Advertisement