Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a Refund from 3

Options
  • 12-01-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just a quick question guys. I bought a phone with 3 on the 3rd of December. It was faulty ( turning itself of freezing etc) so I brought it back to the shop the following week & the gave me a new phone. The second phone was also faulty with the same problems. I wanted a refund as it was a waste of my time coming into them again, the product I bought didnt work on two occasions but they said I'm not entitled to a refund only a replacement. They verified the fault and fixed the phone but I dont want it back I want a refund.

Am I entitled to one??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's fixed, then no. You can't insist on a refund if you've already allowed them to repair the phone. If the repair is unsuccessful though, you would be in a position to ask for a refund. If they refuse, then you can use the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Under consumer law, when a product is faulty, you are entitled to either a replacement, repair or refund. The shop typically offers one, but it must be a reasonable offer.

So the first time you had a problem, receiving a replacement was an entirely reasonable offer. However, now that the defect has occurred for a second time with the same model of phone (two phones, two defects), then I would view further replacements as being unreasonable. This leaves you with two options under law, a refund or repair.

BTW - I had the exact same story happen to me several years ago with a DVD writer in PC world. After the second drive failed, PC world offered me a different model entirely or a refund.

Advertisement