Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images of Cork

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Was looking through the Limerick city forum and noticed they have a nice active image thread there, thought it was good so im not sure if there's ever been one here but might aswell chance it anyway.

Be nice to see pics of the city and other areas in one big thread so if it takes off, it takes off, and if it doesnt it doesnt.

I would get the ball rolling except my pics are on my laptop at home, and my boss is next to me and he's already giving me looks so i better bounce.:eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

CHealy wrote: »
    Was looking through the Limerick city forum and noticed they have a nice active image thread there, thought it was good so im not sure if there's ever been one here but might aswell chance it anyway.

Be nice to see pics of the city and other areas in one big thread so if it takes off, it takes off, and if it doesnt it doesnt.

I would get the ball rolling except my pics are on my laptop at home, and my boss is next to me and he's already giving me looks so i better bounce.:eek::eek:

Sweet idea. Love the pics they usually have up in Ballincollig Shopping centre of the old collig. Hope it takes off!

South Mall circa 1910

corcor1431.jpg

Patrick's Street circa 1905

corcor1439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

For me, the early part of the century stuff is the most exciting. The Carrigrohane straight used to be used for motor racing, and the banked ditch on the left used to be a grandstand. It hosted the Cork International Grand Prix with racers like the Prince of Siam!

IMG_1267.jpgIMG_1268.jpg

Here's a link to some Pathe Newsreel footage :
    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=6844

Then there was the exposition which happened on the Mardyke, it had a water slide and everything. Incredible.
    http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationamenityculture/museum/exhibitionsatcorkpublicmuseum2005/mainbody,3345,en.html

InternationalExhibition_1902.png

media,3340,en.jpg

media,3342,en.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Those first two images are great, really shows how the government messed up transport wise after taking over from the British. I was in Lisbon recently and to see there similar type trams navagate through the narrowest of streets really made me wonder what a great opportunity we missed when they put roads over our tram tracks. It's a tourist attraction by itself like.

Actually Kieran McCarthy's blog has amazing photos of old Cork with a lot of text reagrding it's history.
    Well worth the read if you're interested - covers the docks, jewtown etc. - http://kieranmccarthy.ie/wordpress/?page_id=128 and http://corkheritage.ie/

My fave there is the railway line between Blackrock and Passage.
    I walk my dogs through the one in Blackrock now. here is what it looked like then -

8b-albert-road-terminus-300x225.jpg

8a-test-run-1850-cork-blackrock-passage-line-300x225.jpg

Also this guy has great photos of the Coal Quay shopping in the 80s. I love them! - http://karlgrabe.com/CorkCamera/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Kieran was in school with me, he's a pretty gifted and passionate Historian, the walking tours he does are excellent.

• Advertisement

Kieran was in school with me, he's a pretty gifted and passionate Historian, the walking tours he does are excellent.

I absolutely agree, I've been on a few of his tours. :)

Here are some more pics of old Cork City.

Coal Quay late 1800s

Coal_Quay.jpg

Aftermath of Burning of Cork, December 1920

Buildings in the St. Patrick Street area, Cork City Hall and the Carnegie Library were burnt on 11 December 1920 during the Irish War of Independence. The fire resulted from a rampage by Crown forces, following an Irish Republican Army ambush at Dillon’s Cross, Cork

Burningof_cork.jpg

Maybe we should include a pic with each post unless it's relevant? I think this may be the best way to keep the thread going? Don't have to but I think it could be great! Really like the idea of this thread again OP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

@NoDice - Nice link to the Karl Grabe pics there..

Blackrock Castle at Night;

4575815194_55a9db9419_z.jpg
    Blackrock Castle, Cork. [1024x768] by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

QE2 Passing Roches Point for the final time.

5348729567_60105c48f9_z.jpg
    QE2 by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Oh the memories - just seeing those pics of the Queen's Old Castle 80's and "Mirror Mirror" at the front. Aaaah, many a day hanging out in Mary Rose's, The Periwinkle, Mirror Mirror, Bugatti's - OK - feeling old now:-)

On a different note - google Father Frank Browne - there are various websites for him - but a lot of the photo's from the Titanic, Cobh (aka Queenstown) are on these sites, wonderful old photo's throughout Ireland and the world. Well worth viewing.

Keep these pics coming in. J

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

IMG_1268.jpg
    Wow, Victoria Cross hasn't changed all that much! Nice pics!

Edit: might as well contribue.
    Have posted this before, but no harm reposting :)
    116614.jpg

Few pics in this thread from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Looking at some of the older pics is great...

Here are a few of Cork that I have, they are ones I have taken over the last while..

If there are too many pics Mods let me know and if anyone has any good ideas for pics that should be taken gimme a shout...

5174610072_91c3bbb9ec_z.jpg
    UCC Quad by dar_d, on Flickr

Bonded Warehouses before they were half painted over and ruined..
    4551777362_21a64d1d51.jpg
    Cork Bonded Warehouses by dar_d, on Flickr

4194532961_0128cb9aa5.jpg
    Four Faced Liar by dar_d, on Flickr

3351372134_2233b338c1.jpg
    Cork At Night by dar_d, on Flickr

5238749223_77a39ab9e3.jpg
    Cork County Hall by dar_d, on Flickr

• Advertisement

@ Djd80: Dude those pics are beautiful. Especially love the colouring in the one of Shandon. Have you taken any of St Finbarrs? I'd say that'd be a beautiful photo at night. Would love to see what you do with it! :)

The Opera House is another one I like to see the old pics of:

Then (circa 1800):

Old_Opera_House.jpg.jpg

Now:

Opera_House.jpg

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/stpatricksstreet/selectedbuildings/operahouse/

Clontarf_Bridge.jpg

Patricks_Bridge_Cork_City_700675-sm.jpg

Cork.jpeg

681x454.jpg

Cork-Ireland-Cork-city-center-e1273600727288.jpg

Morrison's island, love aerial pics

46391955.jpg

Took this from google maps, loving the red brick narrow street

93508342.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Here are some random ones I took around the city when I first moved here :)

Looking down Patrick's Hill
    4403514925_3d2cb9fab1.jpg

Hole in the fence by the radio station at top of Patrick's Hill
    4403519583_0c49a40b22.jpg

The flooding last year on the Western Road
    4404270024_3c98395b73.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ We used get up to bold stuff up at the "hole in the wall" years ago.

Some really cool pics here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

Came across two links recently on another section of boards, and the pictures in the link are fabulous to see. Here is Our Lady's Hospital -> http://www.abandonedireland.com/ourlady.html

Also the same person took pictures of St. Kevins Hospital -> http://www.abandonedireland.com/skv.html The inside of the place looks really eerie.. Pity it was on fire not so long ago :(

There's more pictures as well http://www.abandonedireland.com/start.html# Just click on Cork on the left of that link and you can choose whatever place you want.. Really nice pictures!

Took this myself a while back, this is the Marina in Blackrock :)

4304463897_56f1d264ba.jpg
    Sundown (3) by Colin Sheehan, on Flickr

This is down the Old Railway Line, just next to Texaco in Blackrock as well :) Put it in b&w to add to the eerie sense :p

3296256410_3d7ddba2f7.jpg
    Eerie by Colin Sheehan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

One of the best threads ever on this forum ...... if not the best.
    Some great photo's; really enjoyed viewing them.
    Keep posting 'em, folks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

Few random ones I've taken over the last few years...

P1010819.JPG

P1000182.JPG

P1000178.JPG

Beamish%20at%20Xmas.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

ColSheehan wrote: »
    Also the same person took pictures of St. Kevins Hospital -> http://www.abandonedireland.com/skv.html The inside of the place looks really eerie.. Pity it was on fire not so long ago :(

I live just about St Kevins and walk the dog down there occassionally. It is actually extremelt eeerie, even in the midday sun. There is an open door, but I cannot bring myself to go anywhere near it. The grounds there are amazing. Handy for us for dog walking pirposes I must say. Teens love it as well. Lots of contraband to be found down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

Merchants Quay

qo69nt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

NoDice wrote: »

My fave there is the railway line between Blackrock and Passage.
    I walk my dogs through the one in Blackrock now. here is what it looked like then -

8b-albert-road-terminus-300x225.jpg

North_Portal_of_Passage_Tunnel,_Passage_West,_Co_Cork_-_geograph.org.uk_-_76749.jpg

Just in case you're thinking of continuing your walk to Monkstown :)

449px-South_Portal_of_Passage_Tunnel%2C_Glenbook%2C_Co_Cork_-_geograph.org.uk_-_76751.jpg

The other end.... Still open?

• Advertisement

I have a weird interest in looking at pics of flat complex's, the grimness of it all appeals to me for some reason. Anyway, here are two in the northside.

2qtaj54.jpg

wj6e4z.jpg

This is a cracking shot, well edited

aokdb8.jpg

This too

9l9veb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

great thread, should be a sticky. loved the pics thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 osotogari

This is a cracking shot, well edited

aokdb8.jpg

This too

9l9veb.jpg

Great pics, any link to the originals? Would make a good desktop background!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

BrBurkeLaserShow14thJan2011322copy.jpg

Liking this one

cork-city-dusk-1.jpg

The Elysian Tower

cork.jpg

Just to keep this going......

County Hall & River Lee

5368401791_4639713b21_z.jpg
    Marathon 2008 by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

Marathon 2008 by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

Blackrock Castle Again...

5369011070_c0125f4e6e_z.jpg
    Blacrock - Cobh Swim 30th Sept 2007 (2) Pic Adj by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

One more for good measure... Can't for the life of me remember the name of this building!!!

5368400823_c848245e4c_z.jpg
    Town 30 Mar 2008 by Twowheelsonly, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I have a weird interest in looking at pics of flat complex's, the grimness of it all appeals to me for some reason. Anyway, here are two in the northside.

wj6e4z.jpg

[/IMG]

them flats are gone now...

heres a pic of dillons cross

1320565674_f4fd3ee548.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

Few more...

P1020006.JPG

P1000920.JPG

CRW_1139.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mind44

There are tons of fantastic photos of Cork on the Cork City library website here

Here's just a few (thanks to Cork Camera Club).

saint_marys_church_on_popes_quay.jpg
    St. Mary's Church, Pope's Quay

grand_parade_and_south_mall.jpg
    Grand Parade and South Mall

red_abbey_street.jpg
    Red Abbey Street

north_mall.jpg
    North Mall

Advertisement