Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images of Cork

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

zetalambda wrote: »
    Blh22ApCUAE6iWc.jpg:large

Would you have this in a higher resolution ? Would make an incredible desktop background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Would you have this in a higher resolution ? Would make an incredible desktop background.

Found that on Google. This version is the highest resolution around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

iirc this is customs house ? no? i know that it was used by the gardai before for the public to pay fines?

Not Customs House, But the Lord Mayor's City Residence. Not used in many a decade for that purpose.

It's last two stints was as a fines payment office and the archives building before it moved [back] to Blackpool. Not at the same time as I understand.

I think it is part of the software development company now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Not Customs House, But the Lord Mayor's City Residence. Not used in many a decade for that purpose.

It's last two stints was as a fines payment office and the archives building before it moved [back] to Blackpool. Not at the same time as I understand.

It's actually the old Bandon Railway station.

cbscr-station.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It was a railway station - Cork terminus for the Cork Bandon and South Coast Railway.

www_corkpastandpresent_ie_mapsimages_printsanddrawings_albertquay.jpg

cbscr-station.jpg

After it was a station it became the Parking Fines office.

It is now the headquarters of the Cork Convention Bureau. It don't believe it has ever been the Lord Mayor's residence or an archive - Cork's Mansion House is where the Mercy is now and the City and County Archives were in Christchurch.

• Advertisement

A Panorama from the Clarion predating that tower thing.

304190.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I read before there was a swing bridge there by that old railway building (Anglesea Bridge?), has anyone seen any photos of that bridge, particularly when opening/closing?

who_me wrote: »
    I read before there was a swing bridge there by that old railway building (Anglesea Bridge?), has anyone seen any photos of that bridge, particularly when opening/closing?

Seen one of it open in a book for passage of a river steamer and another somewhere else in the open position as it was being built.

who_me wrote: »

The current bridge is modern replica of essentially how it looked, it's sister railway bridge, the Brian Boru Bridge over the North Channel is similarly preserved with the mechanisms [obviously] removed and the control tower removed.

I did see the BB Bridge open once but never the Clontarf Bridge, I have seen photos of the BB Bridge but none of the other one open.

The [then] Cork Examiner did a story of the last opening of the Brian Boru Bridge, I actually think just for a photo session.

The current bridge is modern replica of essentially how it looked, it's sister railway bridge, the Brian Boru Bridge over the North Channel is similarly preserved with the mechanisms [obviously] removed and the control tower removed.

I did see the BB Bridge open once but never the Clontarf Bridge, I have seen photos of the BB Bridge but none of the other one open.

The [then] Cork Examiner did a story of the last opening of the Brian Boru Bridge, I actually think just for a photo session.

Like the Irishman's hammer, 100 years old, only 2 new heads and 3 new handles. Apart from the railings, there might not be anything original left with renewals of steel members.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Sorry for lifting such and old post, but... what the hell is this?
    yiddo59 wrote: »
    IMG_0481Medium.jpg

rovoagho wrote: »

ASk a full question please, hell does not compute and I don't see hell in this picture.

If you would like to compose an intelligible question, I know exactly what everything is in this picture, lived there for three years and all that and I'm absolutely positive I can answer WITH authority, anything you can ask, alas, nothing to do with hell as I understand it, you will have to explain and

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

14074153473_5d17700b4e_z.jpg

and a few more here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

rovoagho wrote: »

Straight forward answer, it's a train. It's up in the Glen, I believe. Has a big heritage with the old rail netork. In fact the tunnel from Kent Station is underneath the Glen, you can see some of the air shafts around the area.

Just old Old Youghal Road in one estate, across from the Barracks, and again at the Glen just as you're driving down towards the North Link.

I think the train used to stop just below this spot as it exited the tunnel before it stopped again at the Rathpeacon signal hut. I'll have to confirmt hat with my father.

There are some great spots in the Northside especially up the Glen/Mayfield direction.

942636_634355259912046_2112387821_n.jpg
    St. Luke's Church

477538_561868833827356_1708305110_o.jpg

dinneenp, my favourite part of the city. Was there last week for a sun set and forgot my fecking camera. Had the sun setting right through the "O" in Port of Cork (the Cork bit). Some site. Here's one I grabbed one morning a few years back.

134530_534600879887485_1626566177_o.jpg
    Cork City Docklands

406689_561868867160686_131712882_n.jpg
    Shandon November Sun

Apologies for the watermarks, images are on my mac which is sick so had to lift them from the FB page. Have fecking loads more images though that I need to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Very nice pics pandaboy

pandaboy wrote: »
    Straight forward answer, it's a train. It's up in the Glen, I believe. Has a big heritage with the old rail netork. In fact the tunnel from Kent Station is underneath the Glen, you can see some of the air shafts around the area.

Just old Old Youghal Road in one estate, across from the Barracks, and again at the Glen just as you're driving down towards the North Link.

I think the train used to stop just below this spot as it exited the tunnel before it stopped again at the Rathpeacon signal hut. I'll have to confirmt hat with my father.

There are some great spots in the Northside especially up the Glen/Mayfield direction.

The was a station (Kilbarry) near the tunnel portal and closed to passengers after the tunnel was completed.
    The back wall and one of the platforms is all that's left.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Very nice pics pandaboy
    Cheers D'Agger :) Cannae wait to repair the mac and get to the rest of the photos.
    The was a station (Kilbarry) near the tunnel portal and closed to passengers after the tunnel was completed.
    The back wall and one of the platforms is all that's left.

Nice one. Kilbarry, that's the one. Heard a rumour that it may be coming back on a bigger commuter line, but I think that's been discussed many a time in the past.

1235121_709517405729164_1943707001_n.jpg

Under exposed but wanted to catch that gorgeous evening light over the City Library.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Love the pics Pandaboy, great work

When we had a decent public transport system.

Don't be fooled by those trams. They served the elite of the city bringing the merchant princes from their mansion in Tivolli to the trading capitol of Ireland and the fifth in the [then] UK.

Otherwise there was no public transport, the masses of workers walked to work from their purpose built industrial cottages. :)

Don't be fooled by those trams. They served the elite of the city bringing the merchant princes from their mansion in Tivolli to the trading capitol of Ireland and the fifth in the [then] UK.

Otherwise there was no public transport, the masses of workers walked to work from their purpose built industrial cottages. :)

You are ignoring the middle classes, office workers/clerical that would have used them getting to and from work as well. The handful of 'merchant princes' might have only filled one or two trams in the mornings.

Advertisement