Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays for the mayors new car?

• 12-01-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

Saw it yesterday in town and then saw it again this morning in waterford today.

Just wondering who pays for it? I suppose though at least its only a VW this year and not an audi....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think it's donated or given to the Mayor to use by a local car dealer every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Thats ok then! Anger is slowly subsiding :) Tom Murphy is in the photo in the paper as well so it kinda makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

dermo909 wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday in town and then saw it again this morning in waterford today.

Just wondering who pays for it? I suppose though at least its only a VW this year and not an audi....

I presume it comes out of the council's budget for the year, along with the cost of getting the crest on the sides of the car.

Saw it outside Theatre Royal yesterday and could not believe it.
    Personally I think it is an absolute disgrace that a brand new car is bought every year. I mean is is only driven around city, so not like it has high milage. I would not think an less of the city or mayor if they kept a car for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Does the Mayor receive or indeed NEED a new car every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's sponsored by Tom Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

I think the dealership give it to them for the year and its returned after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Taceom wrote: »

My point exactly why does he or she need one.

They don't and I do not believe Tom Murphy is getting nothing for giving a car for a year, paying for the job of spraypainitng crest on it and then taking it back and having to do another paint job on it.

I would have more respect for the mayor is they agreed to either keep car for a few years and just tell Tom Murphy to forget it -that is if he donates it- or downgrades to a Toyota Auris, Ford Focus, hell let them take a posh taxi if you really want to go all out. Though that may not be practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

if Halligan saw fit to drive it without shame, imagine everyone else will, I dont think its right but there ya go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Taceom wrote: »

Good question. Cant they use their own. They do in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The new mayor probabaly doesn't wanna be bothered cleaning the crisps out from between the seats, so asks for a new one. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sure if its free why not take it.

Some of the roundabouts have sponsored flowers. Should we uproot them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I seriously doubt anyone here would turn down a free sponsored car in favour of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

who pays for the petrol/diesel ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 waterford1

The car is sponsored every year by Tom Murphy Car Sales, the Waterford city logo is just a vinyl graphic which easily comes off when the car is returned, Tom Murphy also pays for this. Insurance etc is covered by Waterford City Council. Fuel id say is paid for by the mayor and claimed back through expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Typhoon. wrote: »
    who pays for the petrol/diesel ?:confused:

The environment goddamnit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

rasper wrote: »
    I dont think its right but there ya go

Thats exactly what has brought this country to its knees. I know I cut that quote out from a longer sentence but your sentiment is still there.

Back on topic, I'm sure Tom Murphy car sales gets looked on favourably by the city council. All those new vans the council seem to get every year have to come from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

We the people of Waterford city pay for it thru your taxes, bin taxes, rates etc. Tom Murphy might give the car at a handy rate but he aint doing it for free. We also pay for the petrol and for the jokes that are the councillors expenses and their salary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

She should refuse the car politely and stick with an older car, if not scrapping it for something cheaper to run. I fail to see why the mayor of Waterford needs such a car, and a new one every year - even if it is sponsored by a local car dealer.

Hate to sound like a moany old runt, but people are going through difficult times and our public representatives need to lead by example. So refusing the car politely and perhaps downgrading, would be a nice way of doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Sully wrote: »
    She should refuse the car politely and stick with an older car, if not scrapping it for something cheaper to run. I fail to see why the mayor of Waterford needs such a car, and a new one every year - even if it is sponsored by a local car dealer.

Hate to sound like a moany old runt, but people are going through difficult times and our public representatives need to lead by example. So refusing the car politely and perhaps downgrading, would be a nice way of doing so.

It could be a vote getter for some mayor or TD or what ever if they came out and said that they dont want a car and the money used to keep it on the road for the year would be put into some other project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Jaysus theres some load of begrudgers out there, the Mayor is our first Citizen have some pride and take the very good gesture by a local business and be happy about it, what do ye want the Mayor of our City turning up to an event to promote our City in a 1991 corrolla, what do you think she is ? a taxi driver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think we're jumping the gun a bit. Tom Murphy donates the car it seems. And here we are all saying Tom Murphy, Tom Murphy, Tom Murphy.. so theres the motivation for his business to do that.

In terms of the mayor, I actually do want the first citizen of my city turning up at functions in a nice clean modern car. If for example, there were bosses from Genzyme or Bausch & Lomb visiting from their HQs, I dont really want the mayor turning up to that function in a banger. Its a lovely car.. and its not the most expensive one on sale in that showroom by a long shot.

If the mayor is driving to functions, he/she shouldnt be paying for that. The fuel for that should come from the mayoral budget. If we dont want that to happen, then lets just not have a mayor.. which is silly.

Just my 2c..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Trotter wrote: »
    I think we're jumping the gun a bit. Tom Murphy donates the car it seems. And here we are all saying Tom Murphy, Tom Murphy, Tom Murphy.. so theres the motivation for his business to do that.

In terms of the mayor, I actually do want the first citizen of my city turning up at functions in a nice clean modern car. If for example, there were bosses from Genzyme or Bausch & Lomb visiting from their HQs, I dont really want the mayor turning up to that function in a banger. Its a lovely car.. and its not the most expensive one on sale in that showroom by a long shot.

If the mayor is driving to functions, he/she shouldnt be paying for that. The fuel for that should come from the mayoral budget. If we dont want that to happen, then lets just not have a mayor.. which is silly.

Just my 2c..

I'd agree completely with that. Was just about to write something very similar, so I won't, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 waterford1

Trotter wrote: »

Just my 2c..

I totally agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Who really cares what the mayor drives its only a car,what im concerned about is who's paying the insurance,because after all it is a woman behind the wheel ;)

*Just to clarify that was a joke*
    :D

Not a funny one none the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Diluted

dermo909 wrote: »
    Thats ok thenTom Murphy is in the photo in the paper as well so it kinda makes sense.

Sound Man Tom, Shur he's out on his own, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

I have no problem with the car because its sponsered.some of the city council staff are also insured to drive it so it makes sense to accept the car from Tom Murphy.The reason they started putting the city logo on the side doors is because former mayor John Halligan refused the number 1 number plate(10 W 1).He refused because it cost about an extra 1000euro for the plate which would of come out of council money.i havent seen the new car yet.does it have the 11 W 1 plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

wfman wrote: »
    i havent seen the new car yet.does it have the 11 W 1 plate?

Yep it has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Seen Tom Murphy driving a lovely big Merc with the reg 11-W-333,how bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

So does the mayor pay benefit in kind for the use of a sponsored car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 chepejohn

please close this thread, what a load of sH, and this is from a blow in its getting :mad:

Advertisement