Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with Mature Student entry to medicine?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I left school at 18 and got a job, been working since then. I decided I was going to go and do a PLC course this time last year, I figured it was a good way to see if I did really want to go to college or not, I am currently at the half way point of my 1st of 2 years now. I have been looking into what I want to go and do next and I am currently toying with the idea of medicine. When I am finished what I am currently studying I will be 24 so I will 100% be eligible to apply anywhere as a mature student. My question is, will I have to go back and re-sit my LC maths as I know 100% I didn't get the required grade or are there exceptions in the case of mature students with relevant experience?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

Hi,

Please see the below link:

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/GraduateEntryMedicine2011.pdf

Note the entry criteria:

A minimum 2H1 (second class honours, grade one,
    or equivalent) result in their first honours bachelor degree

Looks like you need a honours degree :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sharpe88

Humm, that’s odd, I thought that was only for graduate entry, no? I would be a mature student, not a graduate student. Does this make any difference?

Also if you want to resit your Leaving Cert you need a minimum of 480 points in one sitting and you have to sit the GAMSAT exam to be in with a shot of getting a place on a Med course.

When it come to Maths it all depends what minimum result that the university will accept on top of the 480 point score.

For Galway you need 480 points + GAMSAT + the below min subjects:

2 x HC3 and
    4 x OD3 Subjects

English = OD3
    Irish = OD3
    Third Language = OD3
    Maths = OD3
    HC3 in two of Biology,
    Chemistry, Physics, Physics/
    Chemistry, Agricultural Science

Funny that with the above combination of subjects you would never get close to 480 points.

Graduate Entry is if you have a degree so maybe you dont qualify.

A mature student is the same an undergraduate entry but a mature student will get a grant etc. You still need to meet the undergraduate admission criteria as posted above

Managed 510 the last time I did the old LC so I don't see myself having a huge issue. I was horrendous at maths in school (funny I managed an A2 at higher lever physics) but like I said is the mature student entry not different from graduate entry?

• Advertisement

You can be a mature student in two ways:

1. Have a degree and are over 24 and are going back for further study (Masters, PHD etc.)
    2. Dont have a degree and are over 24 and are going back to get a degree

The med entry requirements are based on which one you are above. If your number 1 would go for graduate entry. If your two you would go for undergraduate entry.

Unfortunately I dont your age of previous experience will reduce your entry requirements

If you got 510 points, I would go for undergraduate entry as a mature student. If you do a good GAMSAT you have a good chance of getting a place :)

You only need a D3 in ordinary level maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey ,
    You only need to do the GAMSAT if you currently hold a degree awarded at a 2:1 or above, because then you automatically qualify for graduate entry. If you don't meet this criteria, then you can apply as an undergraduate and a mature student, so long as you meet the minimum matriculation requirements of the university in question and sit the HPAT exam in Febuary. You need a CAO number before you can apply to sit the HPAT, and it's being held on Feb 26th this year. Then you may be called for an interview at a later date.
    Good luck :)

ETA: Just because you're a mature student, unfortunately there's no guarantee of a grant anymore. You will qualify for free fees if you never attended 3rd level before, if you failed to complete a course over five years ago, and are applying under the second chance rule. I think but am not sure you can qualify for the BTEA if you were made redundant or have been unemployed for the prior nine months, but I'm not 100% on that so you might want to check it out. You also can't simultaneously draw a grant and the BTEA anymore, it's one or the other.

Thank you both for your replies. It won't be until next year I can apply for mature student, have to be 23 and I'm only 22 now. I just like being well prepared and knowing what I need to have done in advance, way in advance :P.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

• Advertisement

I haven't gone to 3rd level before, when I finished school I went straight in to a job, I wasn’t let go as I'm still in the same job (but I am now part-time). I tried to get a grant this year but I live at home and both my parents and younger brother work, the house hold income was above the minimum allowed for any grant. I don’t see myself moving out anytime soon either as I would not be able to afford it so I can’t see myself getting a grant next year either. Best I can hope for is the “free” fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You will get free fees as you have not attended college before. You could also be in with a chance of getting a place through the normal CAO route if you do very well in the HPAT. I think people with points as low as 480 can get medicine with an excellent HPAT score.

Getting into medicine as a mature student is very difficult as there are few places so the competition is fierce! I would contact the various unis to find out what is required of you and contact the mature student office as well to see if you could be put in touch with a med student who got in via the mature student route.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Some good help here.
    Yesterday i made a spur of the moment decision, and applied for the CAO and applied for the HPAT exam.
    Have wanted to do Medicine all my life. But unfortunately, was never ever near getting the points for it. I have an Honours Degree, but only received a merit, so cant apply for the Graduate Courses.
    I have decided to apply just as a mature student. In my research, i have come across this college in the Caymen Islands called St Matthews University. I am kind of at the stage now where i have my heart set on studying medicine one way or another. Did anyone ever hear of that college, i have looked at the website, it looks legit, but would like some more info on it.

Or if anyone has studied Medicine as a mature student, your advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement