Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Lanterns - where to buy?

• 12-01-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering did anyone see these in any shops in Waterford?
    I think they can also be called Chinese flying lanterns?

Literally just looking for 4 for my sons birthday next week.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

They had them in the Amber Garage in Lisduggan..I'm sure one of the party shops would have them also:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Jeidi

Lovely thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

They had something like them in Paddy Welsh's garage in Ferrybank also, I haven't been in there since so don't know if they still have them but if you're stuck it's worth calling in there.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Saw them in that buy-lo place beside McDonalds around Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

If you're stuck I think I have some around home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Cahills shop in the old Rex Cinema in main street Tramore had them before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Pound stretcher in Lisduggan shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Jeidi wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering did anyone see these in any shops in Waterford?
    I think they can also be called Chinese flying lanterns?

Literally just looking for 4 for my sons birthday next week.

Thanks!

You can get them in the shop "U choose" on Michael street.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gulf Oil service station beside Ballybeg has them, saw a big box of them this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

you can get them in assorted colours on deal extreme.com .....only about 5$ for a twin pack........they take about 3 weeks to deliver all the same but good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Just a note to say u have to notify the airport that u are sendijg them up as they are causing an awful lot of trouble with search and rescue.

Just a note to say u have to notify the airport that u are sendijg them up as they are causing an awful lot of trouble with search and rescue.

serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yeah this is really important. Many of these lanterns have a light wire frame, and I can only imagine the trouble they would cause with the intakes or rotors on the helicopter.

jaysus neighbours left of about 40 of em on new years dont think they knew about that

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

I saw a lot of lanterns let off on new years eve night, where do they all end up.how far do these lanterns travel?Who has to dispose of the lantern when it lands, did any land in your garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Basically if ya think about where we are in relation to the coast, we've got water all over the place.. the river, harbours, beaches etc.

Boats or people in distress can and do use emergency flares which look like bright lights in the sky. A flare sighting could lead to a coast guard call out.

So.. hypothetical situation.. after a party within say 5 miles of the water (i.e. most of Waterford) a lantern is put up. The wind blows the lantern quickly towards the coast. At the same time a person looks out their kitchen window and sees this bright light.. and because they feel they should call, they do call 999.

You could then have multiple units of the coast guard including a full helicopter crew out searching for a vessel in distress.

I dunno.. Im just anti-lantern :)

Here's a pic of flares I got on google.. looks very like lanterns Ive seen hovering around Waterford from time to time.

fireworks_2009_madang_IMG_7287-337x450.jpg

Also, an interesting article from the UK
    Chinese lanterns mistaken for distress flares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

i always thought that unless it was red dont bother callin 999 :confused:

Advertisement