Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to sell gold?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have some gold items that I wish to see, and was wonder whats the best way to go about it? One of the pieces is very unusual and detailed, however, most of the cash for gold places just offer the value of the weight of the gold. Does anybody know if any place in Ireland buys the actual pieces for their original sale price?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

cash 4 gold is easily the best

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

but they only pay for the weight if the gold rather than the actual piece? I have one piece, an inca medalion, I think its worth about 2k, but would be lucky to get 500 from cash for gold as they will just melt it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Your best bet is probably a jewellers that sells second hand jewellery rather than any of the gold outlets as all they want is the pure gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

cash 4 gold is easily the best

absolutely not if BBC are to be believed.

A good local jewellers will always be best. Currently you should be looking to get about €7 - €8 per gram for scrap gold 9ct, up to €10 for 18ct and up to €12 for 24ct.

Many of the very heavily advertised (advertising costs money) places offer prices less than €3.

Another good place is goldrush.ie as they are affilaited with Jack & Jill foundation and give estimates on their website http://www.goldrush.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

absolutely not if BBC are to be believed.

+1
    Often wondered why so many of these companies were starting up.
    After watching the BBC, I now know why.
    They offer way under the going rate and if you decline and say you want it back, they will then offer you a higher price for it.
    Even the increased offer is still way way under the going rate.
    I'd guess most people don't even bother to check and just take the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

okidoki987 wrote: »
    +1
    Often wondered why so many of these companies were starting up.
    After watching the BBC, I now know why.
    They offer way under the going rate and if you decline and say you want it back, they will then offer you a higher price for it.
    Even the increased offer is still way way under the going rate.
    I'd guess most people don't even bother to check and just take the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

but they only pay for the weight if the gold rather than the actual piece? I have one piece, an inca medalion, I think its worth about 2k, but would be lucky to get 500 from cash for gold as they will just melt it down.

consider yerself lucky, I'd say the poor Incas only got a belly full of spanish steel for it....

Advertisement