Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian shops?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good shop to pick up ingredients (spices, sauces etc) for Asian food? Trying to teach myself to cook some new meals.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

two indian/middle eastern shops in west side. One beside aldi (aroma?) and the other beside fine wines (the middle eastern store). filipino shop across from couch potato in town, chinese store just beside the back entrance to boots. There's an african store on prospect hill beside the post office, which is worth a look. There's another indian store out beside Dunnes on the headford road, in that little retail park. All very reasonably priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think its a mediterrean shop beside fine wine technically. Did that African shop on prospect hill not close down? There is another one out beside galway city gym on tuam road. I think Aroma is the biggest of these Asian shops? Have you tried the goat meat yet?

yeah its called the mediterranean shop but it would be more the lebanese/turkish/syrian type of mediterranean than say greek/italian/spanish, if you get me? So it's pretty much a middle eastern shop. Most of the staff seem to be persian and pakistani too. They sell mostly indian spices...

I have had goat before but not from there. The african store is definite open. Bought a can of root beer there at noon today!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I heart those shops, so much cool stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

There is an asian shop in mulvoy park on the sean mulvoy road, beside where o'connors tv repair shop is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The one in the same retail park as Aldi in Westside is good. It's the last shop on the right as you look at the complex.

Good big bags of Garam Masala or curry for pittance. And they have fresh veg in stock too.

And the most delicious thing I've tasted in a long time is their Bombay Mix for 99c. Huge bag of it. Addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Define Asian. New bright yellow Filipino shop in upper Abbeygate St. No idea what it's like, just know that it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The shop on Abbeygate street is very good, fresh veg and loads of Thai, Malay, Chinese and other products, really nice people running it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

The new philipino shop opposite coach potato is good,they get their fresh veg in on a Wednesday and decent selection.
    The Chinese shop at the back of boots has better noodles and cheaper sauces but both shops are good with nice staff.
    Have tried all the rest but these 2 stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JustMary wrote: »
    Define Asian. New bright yellow Filipino shop in upper Abbeygate St. No idea what it's like, just know that it's there.

The new Filipino store is excellent, well stocked, not just Filipino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I think its a mediterrean shop beside fine wine technically. Did that African shop on prospect hill not close down? There is another one out beside galway city gym on tuam road. I think Aroma is the biggest of these Asian shops? Have you tried the goat meat yet?

The Afro-Caribbean store on Prospect Hill was open the other week, drove past it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

+1 for the new-ish shop on abbeygate street. Great stuff and nice people. There is also at least one shop in the Terryland estate that has a good selection of spices etc. Near the fruit shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Thanks for responses everyone! Ill check out the places suggested. I just need to pick up some proper spices/sauces and noodles to start cooking up some new food. Tired of cooking half arsed food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Hi all,

I'll be in Galway in a few weeks and was hoping to go to an oriental food store while I'm there, having never been to Galway before though I'm not sure if there are any or where they may be located.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of such shops.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Food & Drink - I think you're far more likely to get replies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

There's a good one by the Aldi in Westside.

Asiatic Manilla on Abbeygate street nextdoor to Java is fantastic.

Advertisement