Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Requirements

Options
  • 12-01-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I have two rifles(.22+.223) and a shot gun, and keep them in a standerd safe. I would like to get another rifle, a 6.5 for deer .Does anyone know exactly what i need to be allowed to keep more than 3 guns in the house?

I know i need a deer licence and all that. Am i correct in saying that i but the rifle it says in the shop, i then apply for a deer licence with the serial no. and caliber. when i get that i can get onto a coilte lease then i should be able to licence the rifle.
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

I have two rifles(.22+.223) and a shot gun, and keep them in a standerd safe. I would like to get another rifle, a 6.5 for deer .Does anyone know exactly what i need to be allowed to keep more than 3 guns in the house?

I know i need a deer licence and all that. Am i correct in saying that i but the rifle it says in the shop, i then apply for a deer licence with the serial no. and caliber. when i get that i can get onto a coilte lease then i should be able to licence the rifle.

not sure if you have seen this but these are the guidelines
    Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009:
    Type and number of firearms Secure accommodation standard
    1 One non-restricted shot-gun. The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    2 One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    3 Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    4 Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

As per Guidelines Jap GT showed you

To get a 6.5, you need a serial number.
    This means a deposit on a rifle.
    You then go to the Garda Barracks and apply.
    They will ask you purpose on the form, you click Hunting deer (exempted wild animals)
    Normally you will need your Licence from NPWS

NPWS require only serial number and calibre and grain weight of round and permissions.

The GardaI may process your application if they think you are gonna get the Stalking licence, however they may make you wait until you actually have it.

It takes a few weeks to get your deer permit, god knows how long for deer licence.

Under the old system the crime prevention officer had to visit you and sign off your security as up to standard before your permit was processed.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Thanks for the quick replies

Thanks guys, but i know all this already
    Maybe i should have been more specific. What do they mean by an alarm, is there an alarm that can be fitted to the safe or is there a special safe with an alarm built in? Also what do they mean by locks, does that mean i must fit special locks of door to the room the safe is in? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

You just need to have the place ( room) that your gun safe is kept fitted with an alarm as a minimun standard for getting your fourth and fifth gun..it does not have to be monitored, But I think the the minimum security requirements are down to the satisfaction of your local FO so he might insist on a monitored alarm

I have 4 guns and was told by my local FO that I could have another under security system I have in place (Room alarmed), if I was to get a sixth then I would be required to get monitored

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, but i know all this already
    Maybe i should have been more specific. What do they mean by an alarm, is there an alarm that can be fitted to the safe or is there a special safe with an alarm built in? Also what do they mean by locks, does that mean i must fit special locks of door to the room the safe is in? :confused:

http://direct.asda.com/Yale-Portable-PIR-Alarm/001127678,default,pd.html

941217HBO111111M.jpg

I bought one similar in Argos

what do you do with that tack? stick it to the door or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

To get a deer hunting licence you will need details of your coilte lease
    or written permission from a landowner to shoot on his land.
    The land would be checked by the ranger so there would have to be deer on the land in question
    If you have a friend with a deer rifle you can use his gun details to get the hunting licence, then you could go to a dealer and pick a rifle and apply at your garda station with the hunting licence and rifle details.
    I know a few guys who done it this way.

what do you do with that tack? stick it to the door or something?

Yep, it has a remote control to activate/deactivate, it would destroy your ears alarming so make sure you wear hearing protection when testing.

VERY loud

zeissman wrote: »
    To get a deer hunting licence you will need details of your coilte lease
    or written permission from a landowner to shoot on his land.
    The land would be checked by the ranger so there would have to be deer on the land in question
    If you have a friend with a deer rifle you can use his gun details to get the hunting licence, then you could go to a dealer and pick a rifle and apply at your garda station with the hunting licence and rifle details.
    I know a few guys who done it this way.

right i what order do i have to do things?
    1 buy rifle
    2 coilte lease
    3 licence rifle
    4 hcap
    then im good to go :confused:

• Advertisement

right i what order do i have to do things?
    1 buy rifle
    2 coilte lease
    3 licence rifle
    4 hcap
    then im good to go :confused:

1. Buy Rifle
    2. Farmer permission
    3. Licence Rifle
    Then good to go :D

Spend the money you would waste on a lease on a good scope and rifle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

So the alarm requirements are not always necessarily a full house alarm costing thousands maybe? They could just be a safe or room alarm if the super gives it the nod?

I suppose it depends on what kind of guns you have over the 3?

fodda wrote: »
    So the alarm requirements are not always necessarily a full house alarm costing thousands maybe? They could just be a safe or room alarm if the super gives it the nod?

I suppose it depends on what kind of guns you have over the 3?

It also depends on how many are restricted, 2 or more restricted Full house Monitored alarm, I'd still alarm safe separately, in case you are in the house when someone tries to rob you

An alarm is not that expensive if you install yourself, the monitoring can be relatively cheap depending on service provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..............An alarm is not that expensive if you install yourself.........

You may be asked to provide a certificate from an NSAI approved installer. I know lads who have!

Best advice ........... contact your Crime Prevention Officer/Firearms Officer BEFORE you do anything as their opinions are the only ones that count.

Spending money on something they won't accept might work out dearer in the long run :)

It also depends on how many are restricted, 2 or more restricted Full house Monitored alarm, I'd still alarm safe separately, in case you are in the house when someone tries to rob you

An alarm is not that expensive if you install yourself, the monitoring can be relatively cheap depending on service provider

Tack but what if you dont have restricted guns, what if you just want an air rifle for the magpies or an extra shotty and it takes you over the 3 limit?

Tack but what if you dont have restricted guns, what if you just want an air rifle for the magpies or an extra shotty and it takes you over the 3 limit?

It's the reason I have not looked for an airrifle, Although I would love one.

I'm in the process of developing a state of the art security system (designed by myself)

It will involve cameras motion sensors etc. If I want another firearm I will want to be like an RFD (maybe I might become an RFD ;) )

However until then I've to stay with what I have and what is currently acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

WHAT 3 limit???????

Reading below you can have up to 5 firearms without a montiered intruder alarm system - just an alarm, in section 3

The Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009:

1 One non-restricted shot-gun. The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.

2 One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

3 Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

4 Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

the "kept in the same place" is somthing worth testing, is it the same address or what about a different room in the house, so if you had two gun safes in seperate locations it is highly unlikely that both would be robbed on the same occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wouldn't go pushing it too far 4gun, because those requirements are the recommended minimums. The local super is perfectly entitled to ask for more in your specific case if he deems it necessary. (Technically, he could reduce the requirements as well, but the odds of that happening are about zero).

clivej wrote: »
    WHAT 3 limit???????

Reading below you can have up to 5 firearms without a montiered intruder alarm system - just an alarm, in section 3

The Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009:

Number "2" ..... 3 unrestricted guns in a gun cabinet......after that it says you need locks and alarms. Or so i read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Number "2" ..... 3 unrestricted guns in a gun cabinet......after that it says you need locks and alarms. Or so i read it.

Ok my mistake

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm in the process of developing a state of the art security system (designed by myself)

You do know that it will not be accepted unless you are registered?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    You do know that it will not be accepted unless you are registered?

I'll be registered too!

All these years in College have to count for something :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............ (maybe I might become an RFD ;) )
    I'll be registered too

RFD and registered alarm installer. Too much money Tack, toooo much money.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    RFD and registered alarm installer. Too much money Tack, toooo much money.:)

If I had half of your money I'd be Happy :D

I don't plan on working for "The Man" for the rest of my life :D
    Looking at buying a parcel of land and I plan on making it pay for itself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

It takes a few weeks to get your deer permit, god knows how long for deer licence.

Whats the difference between a "Deer Permit" and a "Deer License" ?

vixdname wrote: »
    Whats the difference between a "Deer Permit" and a "Deer License" ?

It should have read firearms licence!!

Deer permit 2-3 weeks.
    Rifle licence for Deer Hunting Calibre..........Some quick, some slow

Advertisement