Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

utrecht's Barry maguire for ireland or not ?

• 12-01-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Has utrecht's dutch born barry maguire declared for ireland or is he still holding out to get picked for the dutch senior side ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Barry Maguire in September 2010:
    "If Ireland rang me in the morning and asked me to come and play for them, I would say yes without a thought. I would like to play for the Irish team again but I have no contact at all from them,"

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/dutch-ace-maguire-is-keen-to-go-green-2329641.html

The ball seems to be in Gio's court!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

How is he doing? would he be could enough to get into the team? More importantly is he a Trap style player?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gustafo wrote: »
    Has utrecht's dutch born barry maguire declared for ireland or is he still holding out to get picked for the dutch senior side ?

good old Wikipedia the most reliable source around ;)
    Wiki wrote:
    International career

Maguire represented the Netherlands at youth teams, but since his father is Irish, Maguire can also represent Ireland.

On 27 January 2009, Barry Maguire was called up to the Republic of Ireland Under 21 team for the first time,[2] but he rejected the invitation the following day.[3]

However, in September 2010 he declared himself eager to represent Ireland.[4]

Wiki also points out that he can play as both a CM and a CB so he sounds like a Trap CM, i.e defensivley mineded who could allow the wingers and forwards do the attacking but being raised in Dutch football you would imagine he is a decent passer / has decent close control..... I've never seen him play.
    How is he doing? would he be could enough to get into the team? More importantly is he a Trap style player?

however he is only 21 aswell so should hopefully be a decent option (if he is decent) after Trap too

Wiki also points out that he can play as both a CM and a CB so he sounds like a Trap CM, i.e defensivley mineded who could allow the wingers and forwards do the attacking but being raised in Dutch football you would imagine he is a decent passer / has decent close control..... I've never seen him play.

He sounds like Marc Wilson who Trap doesn't seem to fancy. i may have a look and see what he is like in Football manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who does Trap fancy? Doesn't seem to be giving anyone under the age of 25 any consideration. Seamus Coleman can't even get a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Who does Trap fancy? Doesn't seem to be giving anyone under the age of 25 any consideration. Seamus Coleman can't even get a look in.

Wait for the Nations Cup, surely Coleman will get games then.

Wait for the Nations Cup, surely Coleman will get games then.
    Dont bet on it, Kilbane will prob get his game at full back even though he is playing in the 3rd tier of English football, as a centre mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Owen Hargreaves II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Dont bet on it, Kilbane will prob get his game at full back even though he is playing in the 3rd tier of English football, as a centre mid.

and his name is kilbane even if he played for barcelona i wouldnt play him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Scored a screamer vs whatever english side utracht played in UEFA this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Who does Trap fancy?

Green, Kilbane, McShane, Keogh..you know..quality players like that.

As far as I know Maguire has declared. He was special guest of the FAI at the Russia v Ireland match also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Did he not turn down a call up to the U-21's?

It might be that simple.

Did he not turn down a call up to the U-21's?

It might be that simple.

In the same article as above he says this in relation to the U-21 call up

"I was told at the time that, under FIFA rules, if I had played for Ireland in that game I could not then switch to Holland and I had not yet made up my mind fully. I wanted to be sure in what I was doing so I said I wanted to wait a bit longer before tying myself to Ireland," he says. "I met Wim Koevermans and (Givens) and told them that I was still open to playing for Ireland but I heard nothing more from Ireland."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

In the same article as above he says this in relation to the U-21 call up

"I was told at the time that, under FIFA rules, if I had played for Ireland in that game I could not then switch to Holland and I had not yet made up my mind fully. I wanted to be sure in what I was doing so I said I wanted to wait a bit longer before tying myself to Ireland," he says. "I met Wim Koevermans and (Givens) and told them that I was still open to playing for Ireland but I heard nothing more from Ireland."

so in other words he just wanted to wait and see would the dutch approach him

sonic85 wrote: »
    so in other words he just wanted to wait and see would the dutch approach him

um no... he hadnt decided if he wanted to play for Ireland or Holland given either opportunity so he declined the offer from Ireland at that stage but since made his decision and has openly courted the Irish set up through the quotes in that article, or atleast thats how I see it.

However i would agree turning that down has meant he has had less opportunitys to impress the Irish management and was therefore less likely to get another call from them. If he continues to develop and make an impact in Holland though you would think Irelands next manager would consider him considering he has now openly stated he would like to be considerd

i dont understand that to be honest - in my opinion he was just waiting for the dutch to show interest. youd think hed know who he wants to play for at that stage it wouldnt be a hard decision to make - if he considers himself irish declare for ireland if he considers himself dutch declare for holland. its a similar situation to o hara in my opinion . why decline a call up if he wants to play for us?

Well.... he has stated that if Ireland select him that he will play for us! He can't do much more than that in so far as declaring. It's up to Trap to select him.

i dont understand that to be honest - in my opinion he was just waiting for the dutch to show interest. youd think hed know who he wants to play for at that stage it wouldnt be a hard decision to make - if he considers himself irish declare for ireland if he considers himself dutch declare for holland. its a similar situation to o hara in my opinion . why decline a call up if he wants to play for us?

if what you were saying was the case then i doubt he would have given up on the Dutch at the age of 20 (when he made the statement about wanting to get the call for Ireland), especially not given the fact that he had played underage for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Well.... he has stated that if Ireland select him that he will play for us! He can't do much more than that in so far as declaring. It's up to Trap to select him.

i can't see him playing for ireland while trap is manager like a lot of other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What if he considers himself Irish and Dutch, as any player person with a duel nationality is perfectly entitled to?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    What if he considers himself Irish and Dutch, as any player person with a duel nationality is perfectly entitled to?

if he wants to play international football hes either irish or dutch he cant be both. in his private life if he wants to call himself dutch irish or whatever thats fine. when he got the call up to the under 21s he was 19 or 20 he wasnt a child all he had to do was man up make a decision and give a definitive answer. instead he fcuked around and rejected the call up - hardly the actions of a person who wants to represent us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

if he wants to play international football hes either irish or dutch he cant be both. in his private life if he wants to call himself dutch irish or whatever thats fine. when he got the call up to the under 21s he was 19 or 20 he wasnt a child all he had to do was man up make a decision and give a definitive answer. instead he fcuked around and rejected the call up - hardly the actions of a person who wants to represent us

How's the view up there on that high horse of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He was invited by the FAI to the Aviva for one of our last matches and as far as i know he went along. I have a look to see if i can find where i read that.

From what i've seen of him play he definatley looks like a good player, will have to see more of him to judge properly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

This isn't where i read it but is all i can find of it now.

What Barry Maguire or Ciaran Clark must have thought of the Russian debacle is anyone's guess. Maguire, the son of Irish parents who is a fixture in the Utrecht midfield, was reportedly in attendance at the Aviva Stadium on Friday evening.

Recent reports had Barry just a phone call from the FAI away from pulling on the green shirt. Hopefully that is still the case.

http://www.irishemigrant.com/ie/go.asp?p=story&storyID=7603

Seaneh wrote: »
    How's the view up there on that high horse of yours?

just fine thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't understand the fascination with this guy. He has played 12 games for Utrecht this season (half as a sub). He played 7 games last season (5 as a sub). He played 27 games the season before that (15 were as a sub).

He's basically a squad player from what I can tell, in a poorer league than the Premier League. Bottom line is if it wasn't for this guy's unique situation no one would care.

We've enough average central midfielders without taking on the Eredivisie's Darron Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Kilbane playing has no effect on whether or not Coleman plays.

As for Maguire...can't be all that can he? Not exactly first choice at Utrecht

I don't understand the fascination with this guy. He has played 12 games for Utrecht this season (half as a sub). He played 7 games last season (5 as a sub). He played 27 games the season before that (15 were as a sub).

He's basically a squad player from what I can tell, in a poorer league than the Premier League. Bottom line is if it wasn't for this guy's unique situation no one would care.

We've enough average central midfielders without taking on the Eredivisie's Darron Gibson.

Fair enough, but....
    Firstly, he's only just 21 and has 50 Eredivisie appearances to his name which is not bad going for the last 3 years.

Secondly, unique situations or not, we need options. We have a small player base who are in desperate need of a bit of depth and if he can add his name to list of players it can do no harm.

Thirdly, even if he does turn out to be average-that still is a step up in standard when we start comparing other players currently in the set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Fair enough, but....
    Firstly, he's only just 21 and has 50 Eredivisie appearances to his name which is not bad going for the last 3 years.

Secondly, unique situations or not, we need options. We have a small player base who are in desperate need of a bit of depth and if he can add his name to list of players it can do no harm.

Thirdly, even if he does turn out to be average-that still is a step up in standard when we start comparing other players currently in the set-up.

Thats true it wouldn't be hard to be better than the likes of green, whelan and andrews, they are of a very poor standard of midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This post is obv all wrong, but I couldn't be bothered pointing out the multitude of ways it is specifically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

gustafo wrote: »
    Thats true it wouldn't be hard to be better than the likes of green, whelan and andrews, they are of a very poor standard of midfielder.

True especially Green. Meyler, McCarthy, Wilson, Gibson & Fahey will be there to contest with Maguire also. We have enough options in midfield without ever having to play the likes of Green which makes me wonder why Trap ever brought him along in the first place. Even Wes Hoolohan is much better than him.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This post is obv all wrong, but I couldn't be bothered pointing out the multitude of ways it is specifically.

yeah obviously! dont be shy though - correct me ya know you want to!

Advertisement