Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a dog - Advice needed.

• 12-01-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

After recently minding a schitzu for a few weeks, my mother is thinking of getting a dog herself.

She has never had a dog before, but would be looking for something similar to the schitzu, small enough to be in the house. I'd be taking care of the walking (and pooper scooping I'm guessing) responsibilities. To describe him, he was about 2 years old and quite chilled out.

Having never gone looking for a dog myself, but plenty of experience minding other family members dogs on a long term basis (english bull terrier, collie dog)
    I'm looking for any advice you can give. ie - what breed to look for, where to look for it and and other tips you have.

Not sure what info is helpful, so feel free to ask questions too.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Have a look at the rescue websites, as these have dogs that are in foster care and therefore you have a good idea of their temperments and the types of house they would suit. A dog rather than a puppy would probably suit your mum as puppies have an awful lot of energy. For example Dogs in Distress have some lovely little ones including twin yorkshires who have to be homes together.
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7032&sid=63a63ebc9c12cee429638dde430c885c
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7337&sid=e11bbbad5abac4dbb23be2c3ec63a1b0
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7273&sid=49151ed5004c24bc118224732c945874
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7207&sid=ef7898c6a500f3ba30d25d93c383dc81
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7152&sid=665669e9afb818616bdd572d3fd96085
    Factor in the costs of vets, food, a bed indoors and shelter for outdoors, plastic kennels are not expensive. Dogs need lots of attention and love but they give you ten times what you give back. :-)
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I agree with Barbiegirl an older dog may suit better they tend to be over the bold puppy stage! (althou my chap is 2 and still very much a big bold baby!!) and rescuing one who has lived in a foster home will give you a very good indication of their personality energy levels and level of training. Always loads of guys looking for a home!

If your mam lis looking for a companion doggie then I would say a smaller breed would be best possible a Jack Russel or little terrier mix! Very loving and great little characters! Just looked at Dogs in Distress they have a few dogs that would fit the bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I cannot reccommend the Yorkshire Terrier enough. THey can be a bit yappy, but my Granny has had hers for 13 years, and he makes a great little house dog..as well as idolizing her! Can be hard to toilet train though..

EDIT: Take a look at Dogs Trust website, they're based in Dublin and have a variety of dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey, I dont know if you are planning on rescuing or buying from a breeder but heres what I know about both;

If you decide to rescue you can get a dog from;

- the pound: example Ashton Pound in Dublin because thats where I got my second dog and its the only pound I have dealt with. We seen a dog we thought would suit us (have a look on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashton-Dog-Pound/134168209978223), went up one Saturday to meet him, take him for a walk etc. Filled out the forms, they take up to 10 applications per dog so you may not get the first one you decide on. His out date was the following Wednesday, got the call the day before to say he was ours and we had to collect him on his out date or he was going to the person next in line if there was one. My boyfriend went and got him, paid €25 which includes a years dog licence and he was ours.
    We had to neuter (€110), vacinate(2 x €45), KC vac (€35), worm (€5), deflea (€8) him etc ourselves.

- rescue: most rescues have facebook pages and their own websites, you fill in forms and the rescue will do a homecheck. Most (all?) insist on a secure garden and that the dog preferably sleeps indoors or if not has adequate heat/shelter outdoors. No rescue will rehome a pup to someone that works fulltime.

I know very little about breeders but you are best to stay away from the likes of donedeal etc, those websites are full of puppy farmers that use their dogs to pop out pups twice a year until she cant anymore and then they dump her as well.

You're best bet would be to go to some shows, meet people that have show the breed that you want, they will be able to point you in the right direction but you will more than likely have to wait for a litter as good breeders have waiting lists.

There are so many small breeds that might suit you; Yorkshire Terriers, Bichon, King Charles, JRT. All are prone to different diseases so make sure if you go with a breeder you research the breed and the parents are health checked for all relevant diseases.

Best of luck.

EDIT: rescues will have the dog neutered (as long as s/he is over 6 months) and have all the vacinations done. Chipping costs about €50 as well, forgot about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Hi!
    I also wanted to buy a shih tzu last year, but then i discovered tibetan spaniels. (They share ancestory with the shih tzu.) I now have two of them. They are about the same size as a shih tzu. They are very intelligent but quiet stubborn. I once saw one at a dog show who was rehearsing his trick before being judged, he did it 10 times over and then when it came to judging he refused point blank to do it! eek.gif Its a characteristic that would probably drive some people mad but I love it haha. They are great with kids but are aloof with strangers and make great little guard dogs. They are very fluffy but don't shed much and are low maintenance. They like a short walk, but they are very laid back in the home and I find mine sleep alot in front of the fire! However, we have a large garden and they love to play outside. I'm delighted I went with them instead of shih tzus. They are so beautiful biggrin.gif
    I don't know if getting an ikc registered dog is a priority for you. I have papers with one of mine with a view to showing her perhaps in the future. Whatever breed you go for be very wary of sites like donedeal, I have seen dogs for sale and when I google phone numbers I found ads for several different breeds of dogs from the same phone number, obviously a puppy farmer. You would be better off going to a registered breeder if you are going to pay for a dog.
    Rescue sites are a great option as barbiegirl and cjf have stated. I would have went with this option but I just had my heart set on this breed.

How much time will you have for a dog? Is your mother elderly?
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement