Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round tower, Rosshill Road, any info?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Always thought this must be a round tower that toppled - in fact its one that was never completed.

http://www.castlegar-county-galway.com/roscam-church-tower-and-graveyard

http://www.google.ie/search?q=round+tower+roscam

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Yes, excellent,! Thank you very much. I was probably using the wrong words to search.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, it's the Roscam Round Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

lucianot wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've seen this tower from the distance several times but it doesn't seem to be easy to access..Anyways, anybody know anything about this place? I can't find any details in Google.
    Thanks!

Here is a picture from Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Galway,+Ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.767874,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway,+Ireland&ll=53.264443,-8.984917&spn=0.001835,0.005681&t=h&z=18

I'm sorry revive old thread.its actually a monestary, that was invaded by norse Viking in 600ad. There us also a cemetery there still in tact. I was down today and got permission of farmer today to root around and check out the site. Any one want join tomorrow is more than welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

That's where the naturists all go, down to the round tower

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    That's where the naturists all go, down to the round tower

The tower is cool. Naturists?

Galway K9 wrote: »
    The tower is cool. Naturists?

Googled naturist. Lol. Apparently the only beech for them in galway is right of silverstrand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Would that be for a spot of dogging now, father? :pac:

johnandmary3.jpg

On a serious note, i don't know if anyone has any interest in this, but i went to the roscam monastery and round tower. Took some pics.

Their was a few famine and prefamine graves that were identifiable with the year on the graves, however their are a lot more graves and unmarked that are known to date back to 600AD (Early Christian) from what i read.

2gumcxx.jpg

2cfzm2f.jpg

2vta977.jpg

2ql7bbs.jpg

2l8x7pd.jpg

t7jzew.jpg

33ze6x0.jpg

21e5cgz.jpg

2vnpead.jpg

Bullaun stone (like a wishing well / well that cures illnesses)
    25kncko.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Great pics, thanks for putting those up...interesting bit of history. How did you access the site in the end, just head out across the fields?

EDIT: Ah, just seeing your previous post about permission from farmer to walk through to it...might do same some day to get a look

Thanks,
    lampsie

• Advertisement

lampsie wrote: »
    Great pics, thanks for putting those up...interesting bit of history. How did you access the site in the end, just head out across the fields?

EDIT: Ah, just seeing your previous post about permission from farmer to walk through to it...might do same some day to get a look

Thanks,
    lampsie

Its tricky accessing it. The site is public domain but to access it, is private lol. These are terrible pics so i will go down again shortly with a good camera and take better pics. Feel free to join if you get lost, just PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can also walk along the coast to it. Start in Doughiska at the Spar, walk down to the level crossing, straight over the Oranmore coast Rd, turn right when you get to the bay. You might get a bit muddy!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sw9qkzg7j5p0&lvl=16&sty=b&eo=0&q=Roscam%2C%20County%20Galway%2C%20Ireland&form=LMLTCC

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You can also walk along the coast to it. Start in Doughiska at the Spar, walk down to the level crossing, straight over the Oranmore coast Rd, turn right when you get to the bay. You might get a bit muddy!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sw9qkzg7j5p0&lvl=16&sty=b&eo=0&q=Roscam%2C%20County%20Galway%2C%20Ireland&form=LMLTCC

Tried that before, was not pleasant :) Also, i walked from Ballyloughan beach before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Tried that before, was not pleasant :) Also, i walked from Ballyloughan beach before.

I continued to Ballyloughan afterwards! The part from the church to Ballyloughan is even muddier

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I continued to Ballyloughan afterwards! The part from the church to Ballyloughan is even muddier

Yes after i turned the corner i saw this too.

Advertisement