Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Subaru Legacy for a 7-seater!

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

The missus has baby number four on the way and I now have no other option but to consider getting rid of the Subaru Legacy and getting some sort of 7-seater. Aarg! This car is a dream to drive - a nice family car with a bit of poke, never gave me a problem and kept going in the snow when every other cars in the estate had given up.

I need something that will fit six people comfortably once or twice a week and then on holliers - the children are still small enough - 8, 6, and 4 and baby four - so it's not 6 adults that'll be getting into it. I am downright not getting a Renault Scenic or even an Opal if I can help it. The Volvo V70 looks nice but the very back seats are not really suitable. My favourite option at the moment is a Honda Stream. I reluctantly considered a Hyundai Trajet but have yet to test drive one.

I would hope to get a 2004-2006 car and can spend max. €8,000. I am open to suggestions but I need something that is at least nearly as reliable as the Subaru I have. Also, has anyone any idea how much the Subaru would trade in for or sell for privately? I really don't know. It's a 2001 2.0GL saloon AWD.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you enjoy driving then the Opel Zafira/Ford S-max both feel more like cars than boats, however the S-Max is over budget.

In reality most 7 seater in your price range will feel like a heap of junk after your Subaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Im on the same boat here with my current Audi 100 S4 lol

So far looks like we go for Chrysler Voyager.
    Im a lil sceptical here with Honda Stream engine power ... 1.7 is a bycycle ...

!980y GMC bus would be lovely, but cant find them on the market :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

What do you think about the mitsubishi Grandis? Haven't driven one but that look pretty decent for a 7 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

bigtom71 wrote: »
    I reluctantly considered a Hyundai Trajet but have yet to test drive one.
    I only know one person who's experienced one of these - said it drove grand, solid enough, but couldn't keep fuel in it (same person had a Zafira before it and couldn't wait to be rid of that).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Would you consider one of these http://www.multimac.co.uk/home

I'm heading the more than 5 seat direction with the partner and there's no way of selling this :-(

W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

we've had both a zafira and currently a trajet.

imo the zafira was a far superior car, well more refined and solid on the road. very little body roll and with the right engine she'll shift fairly quick. although the 3rd row seats were slightly uncomfortable on long journeys and got cramped as the kids got bigger.

on the contrary, the trajet is a disaster. wallowey, slow and twitchy. the gear linkage is like something off a truck, very hard to find gears at times and lots of body roll (even for its size)

the con with the zafira are the lack of overall flexability with the seats. they as stay in the car where as in the trajet they can all be removed individually.

that said for all its faults now-a-days the trajet is great bang for buck. you can get clean ones for <€3000/4500.

P.S. in a bus that size diesel is the only way to go although second hand ones can be rare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Tribeca?
    Its a subaru and awd. What more could you want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

MarkoC wrote: »

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1775521

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The Ford Galaxy is nice actually. I had one for 2 weeks last year.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The only thing puts me away s the F-ing roadtax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might want to check the EURO NCAP rating for the Voyager before you buy one. They are shockingly poor for a family transporter.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You might want to check the EURO NCAP rating for the Voyager before you buy one. They are shockingly poor for a family transporter.
    I was waiting for that crap lol
    Im not buying a car to crash it and MOST 10y+ cars are on the same level with Voyagers.
    And if we look carefully at the tests, the only poor thing is towards to driver, rest of the car is fine.
    What car do you drive ? NCAP 5 star family bus ?

I really dont care about these results, lived so far without them and will live as far as god gives me to live !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Im not buying a car to crash it and MOST 10y+ cars are on the same level with Voyagers.
    And if we look carefully at the tests, the only poor thing is towards to driver, rest of the car is fine.

I really dont care about these results, lived so far without them and will live as far as god gives me to live !

I'm not getting drawn into a debate with you on this as it's off topic. You can take it onboard or ignore it, thats your choice. Really doesn't bother me either way to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Renault_Scenic_blue_vr_old_model.jpg

Sir, your new Scenic.

God bless Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Whilst I agree the NCAP wouldn't influence my purchasing, quality of the machine would. And in this regard, I don't think anyone will disagree, but you couldn't get further away from the reliability of your Subaru, than a Voyager.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Sir, your new Scenic.

God bless Renault.

ok, help me out here: where are you proposing to put the 4th child ..:confused:;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

That GMC might make you feel like BA Baracas but I'd wager it'd be ****e to drive. More so than some of the MPVs you mention.

I know little about these wagons but if the car journos are to be believed Galaxy/Zafira are decent handlers.

What about those re-conditioned Range Rovers built on old Land Rover chassis I see cute hoors knocking about in (classic car tax etc.?:cool:). Have a hankering for one of those myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

galwaytt wrote: »
    ok, help me out here: where are you proposing to put the 4th child ..:confused:;)

On a seat.

pburns wrote: »
    That GMC might make you feel like BA Baracas but I'd wager it'd be ****e to drive. More so than some of the MPVs you mention.

I know little about these wagons but if the car journos are to be believed Galaxy/Zafira are decent handlers.
    Which one of these you have owned and drove, models and specs please :)

Are you racing on a minibus or what do you mean by "decent handlers" ?
    And why you bringing in BA Baracus ?

Cheers

pajo1981 wrote: »
    On a seat.

Not in a 'facelift' Scenic you're not. I know, I've had 3. (Scenic's, not children btw............)

It's a 5 seater, in-toto.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Thanks for the replies so far. I am a little wiser though not much, other than to avoid the Voyager. 'Thats not gone well' lauded the Opel Zafira over the Trajet, which is a pity as the Trajet seemed better (at least in terms of cabin layout). The Subaru Tribeca is lovely but at €30,000 is way over my pricing and with a minimum 3 litre engine is not worth it for road tax. The S-Max is lovely - if I had the cash I'd buy this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/S-Max/ZETEC-2./201051200659915/advert?channel=CARS. But sadly no.

I reckon the next thing to do is to hit the garages over the Weekend and start test driving everything. I still like the Honda Stream though, even if it is 1.7 litre. From googling it seems to have 125bhp, which is healthy enough. It might be a little small though in boot space though.

I am not too worried about fuel consumption as I only get abot 25lpg in my own on a good day, often less. Although, with the way petrol is going, it would be nice to get something a little more economical. The Galaxy looks good and big: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Galaxy/ZETEC-TD/201101200788142/advert?channel=CARS. Is there any difference between that and the VW Touran (which seems to be pricier)?.

Cheers...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Not exactly a Subaru but still very comfortable to drive and acres of room in them.. Diesel too.. and within budget..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1797780

or...

A Merc E-Class estate 7 seater.. and diesel too..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1773635

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Facelift Multipla: Six identical full-size flexible seats, excellent diesel engine, airy cabin and a reasonable boot.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1768334

I ran a diesel Multipla for 7 years, and as a family car, it's the cat's pajamas. Pity it looks like the dog's boll*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

as the Trajet seemed better (at least in terms of cabin layout).

in the cabin yes the trajet is better seating wise but its also a much bigger car.
    bare in mind that it is just my own opinion of the car and not a be all and end all review.

if you like it, then definately go for a drive in one and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bigtom71 wrote: »
    . The Galaxy looks good and big: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Galaxy/ZETEC-TD/201101200788142/advert?channel=CARS. Is there any difference between that and the VW Touran (which seems to be pricier)?.

Cheers...

The Galaxy is much bigger than the Touran.

I had a Galaxy for a week in the UK on hire. Took 5 adults daily, 2 of those big german lads plus bags.

2.0 Diesel and pulled well. Got a few wheel spins out of it even.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

A bit over budget (and ugly I know) but worth a look for comparison before you decide especially if you like GMC sized MPVs :D.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1763650

Some more comparisons here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055799384&highlight=rodius

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

in the cabin yes the trajet is better seating wise but its also a much bigger car.
    bare in mind that it is just my own opinion of the car and not a be all and end all review.

if you like it, then definately go for a drive in one and see what you think.

Obviously I am not going to completely eliminate the trajet on your comment, but I wanted views, good and bad, so to have an idea what to watch out for when I am test driving everything...and then there are the things that you don't see when test driving that others have found driving the car long term :D. Unless you were very unlucky with the Trajet you drove, I will probably find the same issues with it. I have plenty of time to suss this out as the baby is not due until July, so it looks like every Saturday morning for the next few weeks at the garages.

Thanks for the links from everyone, the only thing is I am a little nervous buyinh privately and would rather have the cushion of a garage warranty. Still, you never know...

Advertisement