Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to look at 01 1.6 octavia

• 12-01-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

What should I be checking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

The boot lol

Look at the millage as a lot of octavia's have very very high mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

my usual response.

id be checking out a similar avensis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Any particular reason?

if it shares the same engine as the 1.6 golf of the same era (which i suspect it does) you never hear a good word said about them. ever.

avensis will be similar to buy, cheaper to run and, more reliable and just as well equipped.

Oh realy, never heard of engine trouble on the 1.6, you sure yer not thinking of the 1.4, reviews are saying theyre quite dodgy. What kind of problems

• Advertisement

i think the 1.4 is just a de stroked version of the 1.6 so they are basically the same unit.

nothing in particular, just generally poor quality. heavy oil usage. gearbox's lucky to see 100k.

i mean it could end up being a good car, but most likely it would be a money pit.

what kind of mileage is on the one your looking at? tested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

bbk wrote: »

well theres a list as long as your arm. and mine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

:eek:
    That should cover it alright........

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »

it does look in tidy condition, a clean example.

bit ropey though, creeping very close to 100k, test out in 2 months, not taxed... bottom of the range.

i dont want to put you off a car you like but personally, if you dont have a fetish for chucking good money after bad, i'd leave it so

andyseadog wrote: »
    well theres a list as long as your arm. and mine too

Very little overall about the 1.6 and huge lumps about diesels.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/octavia-1998?section=good

1.6 engine regarded as excellent.

Very little overall about the 1.6 and huge lumps about diesels.

great :D i cant use that in 'tdi's are bulletproof' arguements too

great :D i cant use that in 'tdi's are bulletproof' arguements too

Read it mate, dont let me tell you what is on it but to finish up on that page further inspection of it shows five lines on what is bad and the rest are things to look out for on services and what needs to be fixed for certain problems.
    By no means worth shelving the idea of getting one.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1756821

admittedly its a little older and theres no mention of mileage, but if i was spending 1500 id far rather go for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

i think the 1.4 is just a de stroked version of the 1.6 so they are basically the same unit.

The 1.4 is a 16V whereas the 1.6 is an 8V. I don't think it is a destroked engine per sé, if fact I think VAG produed it as an all new engine. Others with more knowledge on this might be able to confirm...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I had a Golf with that engine.......RUN AWAY RUN AWAY

Good car, bad engine

shamwari wrote: »
    The 1.4 is a 16V whereas the 1.6 is an 8V. I don't think it is a destroked engine per sé, if fact I think VAG produed it as an all new engine. Others with more knowledge on this might be able to confirm...:confused:

likewise, im not too sure. just heard bad things of the VAG 1.6's around that age

is it performance or reliability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If that engine has been looked after it's a very reliable unit. it is however very thirsty for what it is. Torquey enough for dawdling around town in 2nd or 3rd. No rocket though.

The main problem with them is gearbox bearings. Start the car, let it idle, press the clutch and release it. If you hear a little bit of chattering from the box as you release it run away. Do it a few times and have somebody outside listening.

Mine went at under 50k miles.

• Advertisement

I just find the avensis fierce boring, altoug the skoda prob would set the place on fire with speed id rather the bulkier look and feel.

I just find the avensis fierce boring, altoug the skoda prob would set the place on fire with speed id rather the bulkier look and feel.

well i was just using it as an example. though neither avensis nor octavia will set your world on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I owned a similar age Avensis 1.6 and while no great shakes after a week in an Octavia I preferred the Avensis but to be honest I could really tell them apart.

Ah i understand that but want a 1.6 thats big enough e.g octavia with cheapish running costs, and not too displeasing on the eye.

I currently have an a4 tdi 130bhp which im selling due to high running costs and a car loan thats crippling me, so i want something cheap and chearful with decent reliability but a saloon for in and around 1500.

Is there anything better?

considered a primera? :P

sorry, but japanese timing chained saloons cant be beat :D

yeah whats the craic with them, im hearing terrible things about almeras / primeas. I always taught nissan would be solid

yeah whats the craic with them, im hearing terrible things about almeras / primeas. I always taught nissan would be solid

the newer ones were a bit flawed, and nissan and renault are now in bed together so it can only go downhill.

but i think around the 00-01 area things were still good

so an 01 almera wouldnt have the sh1tty gearbox that ive heard so much about?

i like almera hatchbacks, newer shape. Are the early ones sound?

• Advertisement

i like almera hatchbacks, newer shape. Are the early ones sound?

sounder than an octavia by a long shot ;)

I just heard lots of bad news abouth them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

sounder than an octavia by a long shot ;)

Stretching timing chains and dodgey gearboxes...well you can cancel the last one out though for both:pac:

Advertisement