Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Zyxel router - accessing router over wireless?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

After I made a couple of configuration changes to my router, I'm now unable to access the router's home page via wireless. This is the case with a PC using a wifi USB adapter and a laptop. The laptop can access the router without issues if I use a cable connection to it.

I cannot find anywhere on the router which suggests that configuration changes must be made with a wired connection, so could anyone shed some light on this for me? It's usually very inconvenient for me to have a wired connection to the router (various reasons) and I need to spend some time configuring it as I've got issues with TCP ports and port forwarding and there's a few settings I want to try out.

Any help would be appreciated!

I wouldn't mind getting an alternative DSL modem/router but I can't see any consistently recommended models. I've heard some very poor stories about Netgear even though I've heard others say they never had issues with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

I have one of these routers and never encountered this problem.

What configuration changes did you make?
    Can you still access the internet via wireless?

As far as I know this shouldn't happen with any router - if the worst comes to worst reset it and see if you can access via wireless.
    Then reapply your changes and see if it works. At least then you'll know if the changes have caused some kind of problem or if it was a glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The change I made immediately before I lost the webpage interface access was Group Key renewal time, and I may have changed the wireless channel used also.

Edit: now that the router's finished its latest crash, I can add that internet access on the wifi connections is fine when it works, accessing 192.168.1.254 however eventually times out.

Do these zyxel modems have an issue with dropping the wireless connection every few hours or so? That's the reason why I was trying to change wireless settings. I would be told that the connection is attempting to authenticate and it would take repeated disablings and re-enablings of my wireless connection for it to connect properly.

As it also affects my blind housemate's laptop, it's particularly important to find a cure for these half-disconnects. Currently he has to restart his computer when it happens as he wouldn't be able to troubleshoot it by himself.

Advertisement