Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday ideas for 10yr old boy

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Was looking for some ideas for a 10yr boy's birthday that will be happening next month. He has had all previous parties at home with just the usual footie and maybe a bouncing castle for the younger cousins etc. So far we have been blessed with the weather each year. But this year i was willing to do something different but we have no idea what. I was thinking maybe paintballing in Westport or Karting in Loughrea or even bring them to an Outdoor centre. We are located in West Galway. Any ideas will be greatfully received. Thanks. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'm not sure if he'd be allowed paintballing.
    Sorry i can't be more help OP.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I would think paintballing is not such a good idea, grown men come out whinging from bruises! Have you checked out the minimum age for karting? I'm not sure he would be old enough for that either!? The idea of an outdoor centre seems very good but can be quiet expensive. Have a look at this site, it may interest you. You may find something cheaper if you look online.
    http://www.killaryadventure.com/en/schools_youths/kids_birthday_parties.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

What about the boda borg at loughrea forest park roscommon? My nephew went gokarting for his 11th they had a ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Have you asked him what he might like himself?

My lad is 9 soon, and previously I brought him to playcentres/mcds/swim parties etc. This year he said he wants a select few of his friends over for a 'grown up' sleepover, where they can play Fifa 11 and eat pizza in his room till the wee small hours:D He's finally figured that these birthday parties can be quite expensive (most are 15 per head in playcentres!!) and has also decided he'd prefer the money to be spent on sports gear, a new football jersey or games for the Wii:)

I find as they get older, they don't really want the bigger groups anymore...well, that's what's happening in his class anyway. Some of the boys are 10 this year in school and have already made the decision that they want a similar, more 'grown up' party....just a thought;)

I think my boy is growing up:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

Fittle wrote: »
    Have you asked him what he might like himself?

My lad is 9 soon, and previously I brought him to playcentres/mcds/swim parties etc. This year he said he wants a select few of his friends over for a 'grown up' sleepover, where they can play Fifa 11 and eat pizza in his room till the wee small hours:D He's finally figured that these birthday parties can be quite expensive (most are 15 per head in playcentres!!) and has also decided he'd prefer the money to be spent on sports gear, a new football jersey or games for the Wii:)

I find as they get older, they don't really want the bigger groups anymore...well, that's what's happening in his class anyway. Some of the boys are 10 this year in school and have already made the decision that they want a similar, more 'grown up' party....just a thought;)

I think my boy is growing up:(:(

Good points made to all the posts. Have checked out both age limits for the paintballing and gokarting. At the moment he wants a big party but something different from having it at home which we have always had. So i'll have to put my thinking cap on. Someone suggested a Mad Scientist party? I never heard of them wonder what they are like. Or maybe Lazer quest and cinema after. Im not sure hadn't intended on having a large party at all this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Hi Kardarie,
    Would deffo not recommend paintball for that age:eek: and its probably too young for karting too (steering issues and pile ups).

Last year for my lad (7), we hired the local Astro pitch for an hour and they all played soccer. Then down to McDonalds where we had an area reserved.
    It was perfect, all had fun and McDs is still regarded as a major treat by the kids.
    There was no tidy up after, happy meals are 4euro a pop and 1 or 2 of his best pals came back to the house and the rest were collected at Mcds.
    He will be 8 in Feb and wants to do the same thing again:D
    It also started a trend and he has been at a few similar events for his mates during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Hi Kardarie,
    Would deffo not recommend paintball for that age:eek: and its probably too young for karting too (steering issues and pile ups).

Last year for my lad (7), we hired the local Astro pitch for an hour and they all played soccer. Then down to McDonalds where we had an area reserved.
    It was perfect, all had fun and McDs is still regarded as a major treat by the kids.
    There was no tidy up after, happy meals are 4euro a pop and 1 or 2 of his best pals came back to the house and the rest were collected at Mcds.
    It also started a trend and he has been at a few similar events for his mates during the year.

We did the exact same thing last year for his 8th party:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    I would think paintballing is not such a good idea, grown men come out whinging from bruises! Have you checked out the minimum age for karting? I'm not sure he would be old enough for that either!? The idea of an outdoor centre seems very good but can be quiet expensive. Have a look at this site, it may interest you. You may find something cheaper if you look online.
    http://www.killaryadventure.com/en/schools_youths/kids_birthday_parties.html

Hehe...great minds thinks alike. I was going to recommend Killary Adventure also.

Might I also suggest:
    http://www.petersburg.ie/index.php?page=peak-gaisce
    It's a bit more involved (overnight camping), but seems to be a great programme that would also be great as a birthday treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Shazza 1982

Hi Kardarie,

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is an Astro pitch in Naas?? or Kildare area?? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Just an thought for you OP. We (by that read I :D) did a starwars themed party at home (miniriri is 6 & star wars mad). It really was dead easy to do.

If you google themed birthday parties you'll get loads of ideas - if of course you're up for a little preparation & silliness. There's millions of ideas out there in the ether for all kinds of parties to suit all ages. All the kids seem to do playcentres / swim parties etc these days - I guarantee his guests will still be talking about his party by the time it rolls around next year. As a bonus it's really cost effective too.
    Good luck

RIRI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

What about nerf instead of paintballng ... Fresh air and exercise ... Fill em up with sweets and fizzy drinks and then send them home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

There are a few companies that offer Reptile Parties where the kids get to meet a variety of snakes and lizards.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

I ment to reply back after the party, ended up trying to organise a sleep over but none of the parents wanted there lads to sleep over (saying they would be homesick @ 10) which is pretty funny cause my young lad would go to China if he was allowed.

But anyways we ended up have a small party at home. They spent day in between rain showers wrestling on the bouncy castle and playing the xbox. Overall the day went brilliant, the chocolate fountain was a great hit with the kids and adults too. So moral of the story really is go with what the kids want themselves and dont be worrying or stressing out about it.

Thanks for everyone reply's as i checked out a lot of different things but everything seems too dear right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

haha kids at that age home sick? Seems a bit odd to me too. Maybe the parents were the ones getting seperation anxiety!? Glad the party went well. I agree its very difficult to afford alot of the ideas for birthday parties. But at least he had a good day!

Advertisement