Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerical buildings Dundalk

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm a student studying Building Surveying at DKIT.
    For my project for this year I have to look for a building in the region of 300-500m sq, it has to be commerical, have a certain character about it, and not of portal frame construction. Also, it has to be over 25 years old. Finally, it needs to have space on site for parkinig/an extension proposal.
    Just wondering would any Dundalk locals know of/possibly work in such a building by any chance?

I've tried using Daft.ie/a few estate agencies in or around town, but so far have been largely unsuccessful, bar one or two buildings by Ardee Terrace, but I think they are a bit far away from the town centre. I want to keep it close to the town centre in order to have more options for proposals for a renovation idea.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sorry I cant think of any but might be worth posting in the Louth forum too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

draffodx wrote: »
    Sorry I cant think of any but might be worth posting in the Louth forum too?

(facepalm moment for papa!)

I thought I was posting it there, whoops!:o
    Any chance you could move it over to the Louth forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

papagormo wrote: »
    (facepalm moment for papa!)

I thought I was posting it there, whoops!:o
    Any chance you could move it over to the Louth forum?

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

What about a church...Ardee jumps out at me.........Not the jumping church before im harangued;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The General.

The Dundalk Shopping Centre (or the old shopping centre, as it's known as).
    Sure they're knocking it down anyway for a huge Tesco's in it's place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

if u use google maps,u will see lots of premises in dundalk that might be suitable, eg.41 clanbrassil st.(the old toymaste shop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Hows about the Derryhale on the Carrick Road??

Not sure about the sq footage though.

moonshadow wrote: »
    What about a church...Ardee jumps out at me.........Not the jumping church before im harangued;)

Yeah, had a look a church in the middle of Dundalk town (not the massive one, it was a smaller one off up Jocylen street. I stepped it out roughly, was about 20metres sq too small:mad:) The lecturers are only allowing a certain amount of people to use a church, chances are churches have already been submitted.
    The Dundalk Shopping Centre (or the old shopping centre, as it's known as).
    Sure they're knocking it down anyway for a huge Tesco's in it's place.

Tis a bit on the massive side of things for this particular project I'm afraid!:pac:
    if u use google maps,u will see lots of premises in dundalk that might be suitable, eg.41 clanbrassil st.(the old toymaste shop)

Yup, was using the streetview, very handy thing. Have my eye on "McDonugh and Breen Solicitors" building on Ramparts/Distillery lane corner. Stepped it out roughly earlier, it may be my building of choice. (Although its been renovated by the looks of it, not sure how the lecturers feel about using a renovated building)
    KeithM89 wrote: »
    Hows about the Derryhale on the Carrick Road??

Not sure about the sq footage though.

Cheers for the link, I'l take a spin out by it tomorrow and have a closer look. It might be on the large side, but a quick walk round and I'll have a better idea.

Cheers folks!:)

Well folks,
    Just a quick update on my predicament.
    One of the lads in the course worked for an architect in town for over 10 years. You can imagine the amount of buildings he would know of that would suit my project.
    Basically, we can't use a building that has been chosen by the two previous years ahead of us, so when he did manage to find 4 buildings left that would suit the project, he held discussions about each building with the lecturers only to be told for one reason or another that each building would not be suitable. He ended up going down to Drogheda and found a building there.
    When I heard that, I figuered my success rate at finding a building this side was next to zero chance.

So I headed back to my native western country parts and low and behold, I found an old pub that recently applied to have works carried out. Plans, information etc all there waiting for me to use for my project.

Now all I have to do is pray they accept my proposed building for the project, or else I'm royally goosed!

Cheers to everyone who threw out their ideas to me.
    papa

Advertisement