Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice MSAP TEST

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a mature student applying for UCC and on the 19th of February I will have to sit the mature student test.
    As I am not Irish I would absolutely need to gather as many info as I can on the test. ANybody here who has done it before?
    Anybody having sample question booklet or something like that? I have seen the online sample questions but I would like to have more material to practice on!
    I am a bit worried about the second part of the test as it includes poems anaysis and i don't know if I'll manage everything in one hour.
    Please any advice on exercise that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Hi, I did the MSAP last year and got into UCD.
    I absolutely hated doing this exam but some preparation can go a long way.
    For the first paper you're asked to right two essays. One on a social issue. Then another on education. The question on education is usually about your experience of education or why you want to further your education. So I'd advice practicing writing out essays and then writing them within one hour.
    The second paper is by far the hardest. The best way to approach this is know that you will never have enough time to read the poem, paragraph, or chart. It's all about timing. You literally only have about one minute to answer each multiple choice question.
    There isn't any poem analysis in this paper. Instead the questions follow a paragraph and are like: In line 7 is the narrator being sarcastic, argumentative, ect. You get four possible answers.
    Be careful, a lot of the answers will appear to be very similar to each other.
    Print off the sample papers on line and order the sample paper when you register. Go over these several times and practice in exam conditions - try to sit the paper in one hour.
    The best thing you can do is to practice getting everything done in the time allowed.
    In the second paper do not leave any question unanswered. If you spend too much time on a question you will find yourself running out of time for the rest. If you can't get an answer quick enough move on and come back to it.
    Go through the website and make sure you know all their regulations and procedures.
    Best of luck!

Advertisement