Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you know what to do with your life? (26 soon)

• 12-01-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Just curious to see what most peoples thoughts are. Did you know what to do with your life by a certain age (say mid 20s in this case)? or do you still have no clue?

Im 26 in two weeks. Don't know what to do with my life. In fact, never did anything with my life. Feel like I have no life experiences. Feel like im in one big rut. Social life has taken a hit big time. Not working... bah. Stupid rut :P

Wouldnt mind hearing from other people :)
    enlighten me boards! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've a fair idea of what I want to do, I'm 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

There's only one answer to your problems- killing spree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

24. No idea... drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm 31 and still dont know what i'm doing. I must be doing something right tho as i'm very happy with my life right now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't over-think it too much.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

hate to say it, but I knew since I was 13 what I wanted to do career-wise and have been following that ever since. Almost 20 years later - still love my job, still in the same career, still happy out.

Didn't know I was going to end up in this country (although my school yearbook already mentioned 'emigrating to Ireland' but that was more some sort of hippie response to all the guys who wanted to be bankers), but hey that's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

23, got a kid, it all made sense after that...
    I need to build a fully functioning house of lego.....

It will be .......colorful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

**** planning!

I'm happy as I am right now tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭endurodave

pick something and stick at it its not that difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Why are you spending most of your waking time thinking about what you want to do instead of actually doing them?

Just come to the realisation that everything is new. Knowledge and experiences. You can do a nightcourse, have a fitness regime, read more. Get involved in local events\charities etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

baz2009 wrote: »
    I had a fair idea when I was 16 too. Funnily enough it worked out nothing like I planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I'm 26 right now, 27 this year (yikes!) and still no concrete idea...am jobless too at the moment, am sure that isn't helping my confidence! Tbh I don't think this is that uncommon, but I do feel that all my friends seem to be going places and know what they want and I'm just drifting along...eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Wandered through school pretty half arsed and got into a very general engineering media course for college. Went for a basic tech support job after my exams and got the job, been doing IT ever since and slowly gathering more experience. I'm pretty happy with my chosen path now.

I've travelled extensively around Europe and I want to do the world before I settle and have some kids with a hot would be milf. Generally just be happy, continue to travel, eat drink and be happy.

I'm 25 and that's enough of a plan for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Il be 25 this year and Theres a few things i want before i get there :

Get a good job.
    Get my passport.
    Get a good lot of savings, not loads but a comfortable sum for a rainy day.
    Checkup, as my VHI runs out then.
    get to my "perfect" weight as deigned by ww, only have a few pounds to go but their the hardest.
    See what that laser treatment is like, not the eye surgery though :eek:
    Go to a festival, yes iv never been.
    Go on hols with the bf.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm 31 and still haven't got a notion. I had a better life plan when i was 16 than i do now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Getting the ride isn't a life plan. ;)
    candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Get my passport.

That's not exactly a life goal now is it or even something that belongs on a New Year's resolutions list? That's more like an item off a to-do list. It's just a case of filling out a few forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I knew what I wanted to do when I was 16. Ten years on, i'm wasting the years away! Luckily I got my degree and masters, but cannot get work anywhere. Would love to go travelling but can't afford to. Social life has also suffered. I'll survive :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm 27 next month and I don't have a clue either. I never did and I've long accepted I probably never will because I have the attention span of a gnat and to be completely honest I'm not at all bothered. As long as I'm happy, content and enjoying myself, that other stuff doesn't really matter to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

AnonoBoy wrote: »

That's not exactly a life goal now is it? That's more like an item off a to-do list. It's just a case of filling out a few forms.

She's Isreali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I always thought it was really important to have plans for the future and to know what you wanna do career-wise forever and ever etc., but tbh now I think it means fuck all. You can make as many plans as you want, but life is that thing that is going on when you're too busy trying to get somewhere else. I'm 21, and yeah, I know what career I want 'cause I've wanted it since I can remember but I know it isn't the be all and end all either. Maybe some day I'll get there, maybe I'll wake up next week and change my mind. Knowing, not knowing, it doesn't matter. Just take each day as it comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

That's not exactly a life goal now is it? That's more like an item off a to-do list. It's just a case of filling out a few forms.

:p I know but its been on my list for so long it seems like a plan.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

RedXIV wrote: »
    23, got a kid, it all made sense after that...

Where did you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm 31 and still dont know what i'm doing. I must be doing something right tho as i'm very happy with my life right now. :)

Off topic but I never imagined you to be over 30. I really imagined you to be early to mid twenties. I felt the need to share that with you...... You also have on a Rolling Stones tshirt... (I really hope I'm not the only one who has an image in place for boardsies....)

On topic: I love the idea of this thread. I had a fair idea of what I was going to do at 16 too. I'm not 16 anymore and I'm definitely not on par with my 16 year old plan. Haven't travelled, left college early, not in the job I ever imagined myself to be in - people I knew from school actually don't believe me when I tell them. I found relationships changed my plans a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheresaT

I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life until I woke up one morning (aged 24)and just knew.
    It was like divine inspiration :D
    I'm on my way to achieving it but who knows.......
    I could wake up tomorrow and decide on something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was once sat in a doctors office getting some bad news, nice place with a green behind it.
    A squirrel started running around in some leaves just outside the window of the office.
    I think what really destroyed the solemnity of the moment was when I stood up, pointed out the window and excitedly shouted 'LOOK!! A Squirrel!' and started giggling.
    It was on the way home it dawned on me that there was no point in planning my life when a bushy tailed rodent took my attention away from someone telling me my pancreas was fucked.
    The only thing that I planned for before then was the Zombie apocalypse. Insulin dependence rules that out, but I'm working on it.

^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry but that was possibly the funniest(kind of, sorry about your pancreas)(Never thought I'd ever have to type that...) post I've read all day! I'm in stitches at my computer in work! I also read it as "So I was sitting in a squirrel's office" so that may have helped too!

@TheresaT: I really hope I have a moment like that. It's starting to get to me that my life may be the same now as it is in 40 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ah well there's my plans gone.:(
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Funny, I had a very good idea of what I wanted too when I was 16. Cut to 14 years later, and man how wrong I was!

Only figured out what I really wanted to do 2 years ago.

I would imagine that a huge percentage of people end up settling for some career but thats all it is really, settling. Hell, I very nearly settled for my old job working in IT. I was earning great money but really didn't like the job.

Now Im gonna find myself literally working for half of my old salary but I couldnt be happier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mikom wrote: »
    She's Isreali.

Should be dead easy in that case. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes and no! I know what I'd like to do with my life but can't do it unless other factors come into it that can help me achieve it though. What I might have wanted to do with my life as a teenager to what I want now is totally different and I'd say in 10 years time that might change again!

NoDice wrote: »
    Off topic but I never imagined you to be over 30. I really imagined you to be early to mid twenties. I felt the need to share that with you...... You also have on a Rolling Stones tshirt... (I really hope I'm not the only one who has an image in place for boardsies....)

Its probably cause i'm an immature bitch or the fact i still look pretty young and still get asked for ID for drink :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Its probably cause i'm an immature bitch or the fact i still look pretty young and still get asked for ID for drink :)

Little from column a, little from column b. haha.

Seems 50-50 so far. Some people still dont know what to do. Some seem happy with what they have chosen.

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

knew what i wanted to do 10 years ago. havent been able to get into it since finishing college almost 5 years ago... now i've got myself stuck in callcentre work for the last 4 years, but unsure if i'm still in the job come march... anything that pays i'll do...

that's all i got planned for the now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

the fact i still look pretty young and still get asked for ID for drink :)

Thats a lie

Thats a lie

You know its not, old man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

A fella creates a thread, saying he's 26, dosent know what he's doing, or where he's going in life.

And the first reply is

Let me guess, join the samaritans?

Ha ha me too! I nearly had my passport taken off me and "I was lucky" he wasn't reporting me to the guards for using a fake ID. Prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I was buying and selling stuff since I was 11, had my own business with four people employed full time at 20. Kids these days have it way too easy. 26 OP? Ffs you should be ashamed of yourself..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ali Babba wrote: »
    I was buying and selling stuff since I was 11, had my own business with four people employed full time at 20. Kids these days have it way too easy. 26 OP? Ffs you should be ashamed of yourself.......... Yore fy-yuhrd.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

No idea either and I'm 24 this year.Family are starting to get on my back about choosing a career path or going back to college.The fact that my siblings have their own places and have become engineers and doctors doesn't really help things either.Have been outside Ireland twice in my life(but dont really regret not going inter railing and having loike,an amaazing life changing time!) and have had one mundane job after the other so have bollox all life experience either.

Feel like I'm becoming the stereo-typical loser in the family that you see in movies.Happy pills have made me worry about these things less though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm 30 in April, going travelling for 1-2 years then coming back and I guess have a break down or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

I'm 25 this year, Ive done the education thing and just spent the last 2 years travelling. My 5 year plan is to try get a permanent job, build a house with the bf who Ive been with for 6 years, travel more of europe and south america.......fingers crossed for winning the lotto :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Had no idea when I left school at 18

Had a notion when i was 24

Had a plan when I was 27 - didn't work out

I'm now 29 and in Uni for the 1st time, 2 years in to an 8 year plan.

"knowing" what i wanted to do was a combination of realising what i'd enjoy doing as a career and realising that there's nothing to stop me trying to get there, but i do think i'm lucky in that respect, I have a friend that followed a similar mature access in to study that i did the previous year who has no idea what to apply for at uni next year, all he knows is he doesn't want to work in a bar all his life.

But try not to get stuck in a rut while you're figuring it out what you want to do, as another poster said, life is what happens while you're busy making plans - think it was John Lennon originally

Incidentally my "plan" to complete 7 yrs of study in cardiff has potentially changed to 3 cardiff and 4 NZ due to a chance meeting that I never "planned" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

.Happy pills have made me worry about these things less though.

That's your problem right there, that sh!t frys your brains and the younger you use it the worse it makes you. My nephew was taking that sh!te when he was a teenager and now he's pretty much a waste of space who doesn't give a fcuk about anything or anyone, has no interest in anything and has fcuked up his future. He got ever chance and blew each and everyone of them. The sad thing is he had the brains to do anything he wanted and was helped all the way, went to college, got a degree. Now he just a hopeless case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

NoDice wrote: »
    sorry about your pancreas

No worries, I have a new one picked out, just have to figure out how to get at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I know where the final destination is, I am on one of the potentially right roads. I have about two moves to make before I get to the destination.

Problem is I dont know what they are right now........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

36 and I still haven't a clue what I want to do. I do know that anybody who can answer the "where do you see yourself in 10 years time" question truthfully have got no experience of the tricks life can play on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm at the age where it's too late regardless of what I want to do with my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm at the age where it's too late regardless of what I want to do with my life.

Never ever too late. You only get one shot, no point being defeatist. GO all out.

Unless your goal involves marrying an 18 year old or something.... although go to Russia and it might be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

A wise man said "Life is what happens, while you're making plans".

• Advertisement
Advertisement