Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back tattoo

Options
  • 12-01-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Im going to be 18 this summer and want to get my first tattoo as a bit of a present for myself. I was thinking about full angel wings on my back. I have always loved angels and have been wanting angel wings for at least 3/4 years. Is it sore to get a tattoo done on your back and is it possible as my back bones stick out a good bit. How much would it cost roughly to get something like that and does it matter about prices if i live in Galway??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

All those questions are dependant on you really, what size are the wings going to be ???, is there shading or colour??? your pain threshold?? you really need to find a design and bring it to an artist and ask them.just make sure you are happy with what you are having done and the cleanliness of the studio/shop you are having it done in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Be nice when done though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I've got a back piece that takes up a good portion of my back, maybe 3/4 of it. I got it done in Galway. Some bits hurt more than others and if the session ran much over 3, 3 1/2 hours I felt it worse. Strangely my left side hurt worse than my right as well. The place I got it done costs 80-100e an hour, I think that's pretty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Ya well im guessig i have a high pain threshold. I broke my elbow when i was 6 and didnt feel much pain till i moved it anyway...that doesnt sound to bad for a big tatoo. I know people who have tatoos but in obviously places like wrists and i want something that i can hide when i want. I have a good bit saved for it just need the extra bit. Any recommended place in Galway that are good cause im new to tatoos/

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Majority of my friends with tattoos have gotten their done at Inkfingers custom tattoo. I have a black/grey tattoo and so does my friend, done by different artists and the shading work on both is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The pain varies from person to person and even the relative sensitivity of different parts of your body will differ to those of others (e.g. I found the spine much more painful than the ribs, whereas others have found the opposite), the thing to keep in mind is; is the pain of getting the tattoo not worth it, afterall the pain only lasts a little while, whereas the tattoo will be there for the rest of your life?

I got mine done in Inkfingers. I hear Victor tattoo across the street is pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

+1 for Inkfingers, I got this done in there-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69513093&postcount=4427

To give an idea of cost, this was 600euro, for about 5-6 sessions of 2-3 hours each.

D'you mind if I ask when you got that done baldshin? I got mine done in the summer and paid 5/600 can't remember which for my back piece which was probably about 14/15 hours but was told by Steve that the price was going up to 80-100 an hour as the business got more established. Speaking of Steve himself and Nancy his wife who also tattoos in inkfingers were to set up their own place Galway Bay Tattoos at the start of this year. Not sure if that's still a goer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

D'you mind if I ask when you got that done baldshin? I got mine done in the summer and paid 5/600 can't remember which for my back piece which was probably about 14/15 hours but was told by Steve that the price was going up to 80-100 an hour as the business got more established. Speaking of Steve himself and Nancy his wife who also tattoos in inkfingers were to set up their own place Galway Bay Tattoos at the start of this year. Not sure if that's still a goer though.

Started in August and finished around October. I think it should have cost more cause it took longer than expected, but Sean stuck to his word with his initial quote.
    Yeah Steve and Nancy left a while back but I haven't seen any concrete developments bar their facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

i got a back tattoo in december , it was a great experience
    pain wasnt to bad but some places hurt more than others , i actualy taught there was less pain in it when 2 guys where tattooing me as it was distracting from the pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dublin1andonly

That def depends on who you go to. I had a friend get something similar for roughly £350. Plus if they're fairly new to the business, you could even get them to knock off a sizable amount of the price. Look around before though, you might find a good bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

Just got my back done on Thursday, pain wasn't too bad, about a four for the worst which was definitely the shading. There is a lot of aftercare so make sure you have someone you can trust to help with that :)

Advertisement