Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dazzling dim lights

• 12-01-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed oncoming cars with harsh blue/white lights? They're dazzling but don't seem to give out good light to the driver. These lights are generally in boy racer cars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yep

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Usually hid lights in reflector headlights. Look ****, blinding, and light scatters everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

MarkR wrote: »
    Usually hid lights in reflector headlights. Look ****, blinding, and light scatters everywhere

thanks, they're probably illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

they come free with some burberry hats and assorted adidas trainers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

they come on range-rovers too!!! lights on them yokes would blind ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Seems to be more of a non national craze. I have 3 polish lads working for me and they all have them. Said all their friends have them aswell. Seems to be a waste of money putting all that kit on a 97 passat.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As above, HID kits do not work properly in non HID headlamps. Cars with factory fitted HIDs won't be blinding if they are aligned properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

nightster1 wrote: »
    These lights are generally in boy racer cars.

Don't even bother going that route :pac:.
    I would like to see them ruled out as a dangerous modification to a car myself,i think they are very dangerous and too many people are using them in ALL types of cars and causing a very hazardous situation for oncoming cars.
    Can't see anything been done about it though.

In general i do a lot of my daily driving on b roads and i have a 2-3 second time limit for a car to dim their full car lights on sight of me and i usually dim first but if i don't get a response my full will go back on and if they have crazy bright dim lights that are still dazzling me i will flash them at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They're bad, but not nearly as bad as arctic drivers who have enough lights on their cabs to light up a football stadium.

What the hell is wrong with those guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yes i hate, i mean absolutely despise aftermarket hid lights. They are too bright even on dipped :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

They're bad, but not nearly as bad as arctic drivers who have enough lights on their cabs to light up a football stadium.

What the hell is wrong with those guys?

Those boys do most of their work at night when there are few if no other road users on the roads and use them to light the road ahead. I have no issue with them unless they fail to dim then they get my xenons in return.

Those boys do most of their work at night when there are few if no other road users on the roads and use them to light the road ahead. I have no issue with them unless they fail to dim then they get my xenons in return.

There are arctics on the road every hour of the day and in winter, they have those lights on in the mornings & evenings as well as night time.

There is no need for them to have 20 million lights on their cabs... most cabs get by just fine without them - it's just the idiots who think they are in "Smokey & the Bandit" that I have trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Bunny Buster

There are arctics on the road every hour of the day and in winter, they have those lights on in the mornings & evenings as well as night time.

There is no need for them to have 20 million lights on their cabs... most cabs get by just fine without them - it's just the idiots who think they are in "Smokey & the Bandit" that I have trouble with.

I think it is fair to say that not all truck drivers have the " football stadium " setup on their cabs!! Also, you say that MOST cabs get by just fine without them but it is the idiots who think they are in " Smokey & The Bandit " that you have the problem with!! Tell me, how do you distinguish between the two!!?? :cool::cool:

I think it is fair to say that not all truck drivers have the " football stadium " setup on their cabs!! Also, you say that MOST cabs get by just fine without them but it is the idiots who think they are in " Smokey & The Bandit " that you have the problem with!! Tell me, how do you distinguish between the two!!?? :cool::cool:

Easy;

The ones that annoy me have loads of lights on their cabs.

The ones that don't annoy me don't have loads of lights on their cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Can't stand those lights to be honest, they are blinding and do nothing for the car. I see they come in differant shades too from bright white to a bluey hue and ffrom what I see don't give out a lot of light either,bit of a waste of money.

On the truck drivers, although they have dozens of lights on the cab I have never came towards one that didnt dip his lights when approaching me.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Bunny Buster

jaybee747 wrote: »
    On the truck drivers, although they have dozens of lights on the cab I have never came towards one that didnt dip his lights when approaching me.

My point exactly, and as for those f***ing disco lights that come in blue, white, yellow and so onnnnn..........THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭poker--addict

never had a problem with truckers and I do large milleage..
    these guys are professional drivers after all...they dont like getting blinded so dont do it to others.

Landrover dim setting!!!!serious problem with them!glare off them is awful. Fact they are up at higher level intensifies the problem...far more dangerous then the low polish 97 passat.

you need your sunglasses when the rich boys are out. :cool:

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭poker--addict

landrover owners daughters should stand infront of the car in the evenings...save a fortune on chartbusters :p

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i have hids in my astra. it has reflector headlights. i have the beam aligned very well and have got a couple of friends and my parents to drive against me and none of them thought the light was blinding at all. i never get flashed either and they've been on for 4months. i think the light out of them IS much better than the standard halogens. dont even use my full beams anymore as there is hardly any difference and the white light is alot less harsh on the ol eyes. to be honest, most people on the road have their normal halogens pointing in all directions so im pretty sure i get blinded as much from them as anyone does from mine!

Advertisement