Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sandman's First Training Log

• 12-01-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, this is my first attempt at an organised training log, and my first post on Boards. Here goes:

Background: Male, 29 years old (turning 30 pretty soon!) 6'3 and weighing in at 110 kg approx. Have done some running in the last few years including a couple of BUPA 10K and the Warrior's Run. But only infrequently and usually just leading up to an event. Haven't done much since the end of last August. And just quit smoking for the new year.

The plan for this year is add structure to my training, to keep it up for the whole year and hopefully do more races to help me achieve the following:

Get below 100 kg weight.
    Stay smoke free
    BUPA 10km (April) - Sub 1 hour.
    Irish Runner 5 mile (July) - Sub 50 mins.
    Frank Duffy 10 mile (Aug) - Sub 1 hour 30 mins
    Half Marathon (Sept) - Sub 2 hours
    Dublin City Marathon (Oct) - Sub 4.5 hours (Is this realistic??)

I've worked out a schedule based on Hal Higdon's novice program with the DCM at the end. Adding the spring training program to the start of that brings me back to April around the time of the BUPA 10k. So if I start training for that now, shouldn't I have a good base and be ahead in my training come April and then be able to just carry on adding mileage up to the marathon?

Anyway, the main thing is to stick to the training plan, do the miles and the cross training and not let this post get lonely! Good luck to everyone else looking to get fit in 2011!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sandman2010

So yesterday was day 1 of my training plan.

2 miles in 19:30.
    Felt tired and sore. But I know it'll take a week or two just to get used to running again.

Have 30 mins of cross training to do this evening. It'll probably be a free weights circuit at home. Something from the P90X catalog.

Today was day 2:

Just finished 30 mins Cross training. This consisted of about 45 mins of Plyometrics (10 mins to warm up and 30 mins in the zone according to my HRM.) Then did some of the ab ripper managing 15 for every 25 on the video. Not too bad. Wrecked afterwards though.

Plus today was another day without cigarettes. :)

Tomorrow is down as a rest day, but working so not too much rest! Next run is Friday when I'm due another 2 mile run.

Day 4.

After a rest day yesterday, day four arrived.

2 mile run (actually did about 2.3) in 21.30. Not too bad. Similar pace to last time, but felt a lot better today.

Followed this with a circut of push ups and sit ups (50 of each in groups of ten with 30 sec break between each pair)

Also went to the driving range and hit 100 golf balls. That counts as core work right?

Away for the weekend, so my long slow run for week 1 (which is only 2 miles!) will be pushed to Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Welcome to the logs and best of luck with the training and goals.

Week 2

So after a weekend of rest and relaxation, where I missed the long slow run on Sunday, I added it to my Strength and Stretching routine today.

2.5 miles today 24 mins. Very out of sorts after the weekend, but glad I got out at least. Followed a new route around the neighbourhood that left me with a nice hill for the last mile or so. Followed that with some free weights. Shoulders chest and back.

According to my schedule, tomorrow I'm due to do 3 miles. Must go find a route on MapMyRun!

• Advertisement

Missed yesterdays run due to work. So today I had a three mile run to do along with 30 mins cross training.

Did 3 mile run this afternoon in 27mins. Delighted with the time. But was totally wrecked. Followed it with a walk around the aprtment block chugging water and stopping to stretch every minute or so.

Then 30 mins of cross which was a short free weights circut.

Tomorrow I'm off work, so have a 2 mile run and strength training planned.

Another 2 mile run today. Just under twenty minutes. Felt really slow, but if it leads to a sub four and a half hour marathon next October then that's grand!

Tomorrow is a rest day and the way my legs feel that'llbe just fine. There's a 3 mile run on the agenda for Saturday and heading out Saturday night, but after that I have no other social engagments till the end of Febuary so that'll give me a chance to get into a good rythm with training without undoing all my good work in the pub!

Advertisement