Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian and Spanish!!

Options
  • 12-01-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tuty_Fruity

What language is most like Spanish? Is it quite similar to Italian? If I knew a reasonable amount of Spanish, do you think it would be easy to learn the basics of Italian? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yes, I would argue it's not difficult to learn the basics of any language. It's the not so basic stuff that's tough. But yes, if you know Spanish Italian isn't so difficult. I speak Spanish and understand a lot of what my Italian colleague says on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You'll benefit immediately from:
    1. understanding of gender e.g. la mesa, la tavola, the table
    2. verb conjugation patterns e.g. creo, credo, I believe
    3. reflexive verbs e.g. me voy, mi vado, I'm off

• Portuguese is more similar to Spanish than Italian. Still, knowing Spanish and/or French gives you an enormous head start with Italian. I can understand most of an Italian conversation and have simple conversations myself and I've only ever taken a basic beginner's course. I haven't taken Italian further because I don't want to confuse it with Spanish and Portuguese and it's really hard not to unless you become really fluent in it.

Advertisement