Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banana bread

Options
  • 12-01-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

anyone have a good recipe for banana bread.... ty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Here's the one I use....and I think it's lovely.....

7oz/200g plain flour
    2 1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 1/2 oz/75g butter or margarine (at room temp)
    4oz/115g caster sugar
    1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
    3 ripe bananas, mashed
    2 eggs, beaten to mix

-Preheat oven to 180/Gas 4. Grease and flour 8.5x4.5 (21x11cm) loaf tin.
    -Sift the flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon into a bowl.
    -In another bowl, combine the butter, sugar & lemon zest. Beat until light and fluffy.
    -Add the mashed bananas & eggs to sugar/butter mixture & mix well
    -Add the dry ingredients & blend quickly and evenly
    -Spoon into prepared tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
    -Cool in the tin for about 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

When cool, cut a slice, make a cup of tea, sit back and enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I use this one, from Rachel Allen, it's yum!

Ingredients
    250g (9oz) self-raising flour
    Pinch of salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    150g (5oz) caster sugar
    100g (3 ½ oz) butter, softened
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Finely grated zest of 1 orange
    475g (17oz) whole bananas (about 4 small ones), peeled
    75g (3oz) dark chocolate chips

13 x 23cm (5x9in) loaf tin

Preheat the oven to 170oC (325oF), Gas mark 3. Lightly butter and line the loaf tin with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar and butter and, using your fingertips, rub it in until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest in another bowl. Add the bananas and mash very well with a potato masher. Add the chocolate chips.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture. Gently but thoroughly bring all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, then pour into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth the top and bake in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

125g butter
    180g dk brown sugar
    4 medium ripe bananas(mashed)
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    250g plain flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda(thats three quarters)
    3 tablespoons warm milk

Preheat oven to 180. Butter a 30 x 11cm loaf tin.
    Cream butter and sugar until smooth,then whisk in mashed bananas. Add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and whisk in well. Sieve in flour and baking powder and beat until smooth. Mix bicarb soda into milk and stir in. Add to baking tin and bake for about 50 mins, or until top is crusty, and a skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack after 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

sounds good hootie......must give that one a try....I like the brown sugar & vanilla additions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I'd recommend you don't try!!!!! It's one of those "nah it's horrible, you wouldn't like it" recipes. Dunno how many of them I've eaten myself!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

This is a recipe my mom used to make when I was a kid and I still make it now, the only thing I sometimes do differently is add sunflower seeds or pecan nuts:
    http://www.mandymortimer.com/banana-bread/

It's really moist, keeps well and is great for any time of the day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lordmayor108

i love banana bread also nice with walnuts

Advertisement